Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Post Reply
toto
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 25,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by toto » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:17 am

No prob... Thank you Chenlaoshi!

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri Jul 22,
Total Likes:21

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 am

Any one here who is familiar with current psle marking criteria, former moe tr?

For CL compo, is it compulsory to use lesson learnt in the ending? Students cannot use creative way to end in CL? Like allow reader to interpret own ending and lesson learnt.

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:66

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 am
Any one here who is familiar with current psle marking criteria, former moe tr?

For CL compo, is it compulsory to use lesson learnt in the ending? Students cannot use creative way to end in CL? Like allow reader to interpret own ending and lesson learnt.
Hi 6thisnthat9,

It is not compulsory to end the story with a typical lesson learnt conclusion but the theme of the story needs to be highlighted. For example, if it's about honesty, then it can be included in the dialogues involving a character in the story. Reason why most end by concluding lessons learnt is because this is the most straight forward method to 点题 and 表达中心思想.

As for "allow reader to interpret own ending and lesson learnt", if there's no clear/previous mention(s) earlier in the essay, then nope, mainly because it is not effective to gauge if the candidate managed to identify the theme and/or subthemes (rubrics for compo marking can be found here).

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri Jul 22,
Total Likes:21

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm

Thank you chen laoshi.

If theme is abt bad habit and child chose to write about too much reading and affect eyesight.
She ends the story w discovering her myopia has hike to 800 deg and asked a qn,
To read or not to read.
I thought it's clever but another mum fear it might not meet psle marking criteria.
What do you think?

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:66

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:55 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Thank you chen laoshi.

If theme is abt bad habit and child chose to write about too much reading and affect eyesight.
She ends the story w discovering her myopia has hike to 800 deg and asked a qn,
To read or not to read.
I thought it's clever but another mum fear it might not meet psle marking criteria.
What do you think?
6thisnthat9,

Sorry for nitpicking, but classifying "reading too much" as a bad habit seems off. Instead, the focus should be on the reading postures. :sweat:

I presume this is a 命题作文?Do you happen to have the exact title?

In the example given, if the title is something like “我的一个坏习惯” or "我的坏习惯害了我", then the author needs to acknowledge that his/her habit is a bad one. Therefore, if the question raised at the end is something like "should I have read lesser?" or "should I read or not" then it doesn't accurately/effectively 点题 since the author seems to be unsure himself/herself.


6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri Jul 22,
Total Likes:21

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:28 pm

You're right Chen Laoshi.
At first glance, her choice of a bad habit doesn't seem to fit the bill. Only handful in same situation can relate to this problem. Maybe it's more suitable for another title, A balance... Lol

Apologies I cannot share the writing here as it does not belong to my child.

The title was 我的坏习惯。yes, the child related her bad habit leading to many problems in school and at home, affecting her performance etc.

Thank you, you have answered our concerns 😊

Reenie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jul 06,
Total Likes:1

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by Reenie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:06 am

hi chenlaoshi,

My daughter is pretty weak in Compo writing , especially 命题,she actually wrote out of topic as well.

Is there a way to improve Compo writing in this area, or how to decode the topic? I can try to help her at home if it's possible. Thank you!!!!

Reenie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jul 06,
Total Likes:1

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by Reenie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 am

hi chenlaoshi,

another question regarding Chinese Comprehension Paper 2, is there a method to answer the "解释下面两个短语在文中的意思“ usually the 1st 2 questions in OE section B.

Does the kid refer to the lines above and below it to form the answer?

Thank you! 谢谢陈老师!

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:66

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 am

Reenie wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:06 am
hi chenlaoshi,

My daughter is pretty weak in Compo writing , especially 命题,she actually wrote out of topic as well.

Is there a way to improve Compo writing in this area, or how to decode the topic? I can try to help her at home if it's possible. Thank you!!!!
Hi Reenie,

Basically, for 命题, student have to identify the keywords in the question and brainstorm accordingly before deciding on the final plot
Image

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:66

Re: Q&A - PSLE Chinese

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 am

Reenie wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 am
hi chenlaoshi,

another question regarding Chinese Comprehension Paper 2, is there a method to answer the "解释下面两个短语在文中的意思“ usually the 1st 2 questions in OE section B.

Does the kid refer to the lines above and below it to form the answer?

Thank you! 谢谢陈老师!
Hi Reenie, yes, student have to make use of contextual clues to explain the short phrase's context in the passage.
Image
Image

Post Reply