Foundation Maths: How to help pupils who are very weak

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Foundation Maths: How to help pupils who are very weak

Postby worldangel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 pm

I am looking for tips from parents who have had kids who have been through the foundation classes. What is the best way to 'train' the pupils so that they are able to understand and score in their Maths paper? Thanks!

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Foundation Maths: How to help pupils who are very weak

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 am

For students doing Foundation Maths, the key is to ensure that they are able to understand the basic concepts and not be careless.

Most of my students who did Foundation Maths do well with repetitive exercises on basic concepts. They also thrive on consistent learning. Space out the topics well, give adequate guidance and practice.

If it is a problem of 'understanding' the question, then you will need to teach the child to break up the question and 'decode' it. Many students feel overwhelmed by overloading of information in some questions. Encourage them to break up the question, understand each part before reading the next.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me at mwtuition@gmail.com if you need further help.

Regards,
Mrs Wong
www.mwtuition.blogspot.com
www.thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Mrs Wong and other parents, need advice here.

Nephew is weak in English and has problem with the problem sums questions. He doesn't seem to understand the questions.

When I go through the assignment book questions with him, I have to explain slowly what the questions are asking. Sometimes he is able to do the question after hearing my explaination.

However when similiar questions come out in the exam, he seems to forget what we have revised and either leave the question blank or give a one sentence working !!

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

koguma wrote:Mrs Wong and other parents, need advice here.

Nephew is weak in English and has problem with the problem sums questions. He doesn't seem to understand the questions.

When I go through the assignment book questions with him, I have to explain slowly what the questions are asking. Sometimes he is able to do the question after hearing my explaination.

However when similiar questions come out in the exam, he seems to forget what we have revised and either leave the question blank or give a one sentence working !!

I never allow my students to leave a question blank. They have to learn to jot down their thinking process.

Often, they give up because they have no confidence or that they simply 'don't bother'. You have to find out the root cause and work from there.

If language is an issue, then you need to work on language first. Point out key terminology and their implications (e.g. 50% of X refers to 50% multiply by X or it is half of X).

Children need to be taught to think. The current generation of students are too used to being spoon-fed. Encourage them to think and you'll be surprised by their improvements. :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunnydays2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:For students doing Foundation Maths, the key is to ensure that they are able to understand the basic concepts and not be careless.

Most of my students who did Foundation Maths do well with repetitive exercises on basic concepts. They also thrive on consistent learning. Space out the topics well, give adequate guidance and practice.

If it is a problem of 'understanding' the question, then you will need to teach the child to break up the question and 'decode' it. Many students feel overwhelmed by overloading of information in some questions. Encourage them to break up the question, understand each part before reading the next.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me at mwtuition@gmail.com if you need further help.

Regards,
Mrs Wong
http://www.mwtuition.blogspot.com
http://www.thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

I agree with the bolded line. Just keep revising with your child. Bound to see improvements.

sunnydays2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

I wonder how parents tackle students with the 'don't bother' attitude? Any advise?

My nephew don't want to take up tution, but insists of going to the Lib with his classmates to study. The problem is how much time will he be actually spending studying in the lib ! :mad:

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunnydays2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 am

koguma wrote:I wonder how parents tackle students with the 'don't bother' attitude? Any advise?

My nephew don't want to take up tution, but insists of going to the Lib with his classmates to study. The problem is how much time will he be actually spending studying in the lib ! :mad:

How old is your nephew? If he is in Primary school, I don't think they will be so disciplined to actually sit down in the library and self-study. But if he is in Secondary school, I will give him the benefit of doubt. Then give him assessment books/test papers to do and see if he can do what he said that he's going to study.

sunnydays2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 am

sunnydays2 wrote:How old is your nephew? If he is in Primary school, I don't think they will be so disciplined to actually sit down in the library and self-study. But if he is in Secondary school, I will give him the benefit of doubt. Then give him assessment books/test papers to do and see if he can do what he said that he's going to study.

He is P6 and will be taking PSLE this year :(

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 am

koguma wrote:
sunnydays2 wrote:How old is your nephew? If he is in Primary school, I don't think they will be so disciplined to actually sit down in the library and self-study. But if he is in Secondary school, I will give him the benefit of doubt. Then give him assessment books/test papers to do and see if he can do what he said that he's going to study.

He is P6 and will be taking PSLE this year :(

If there's someone at home to supervise and there's space, I would prefer inviting them to the house from their 'self-study' instead of going to the library.

"Don't bother" attitude requires a lot of positive encouragement, a good balance of trust and many chit-chat sessions. It's best if the child has a 'role model' he looks to and get that person to speak to him.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Michaelia0816 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:10 pm

I suggested them to do more practice have have a private tutor instead of a group so the tutor will just forus on the weaks. Sorry if I spelled wrongly!

Michaelia0816
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE