Having difficulties on Chinese Compre and Compo-P5/P6?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Having difficulties on Chinese Compre and Compo-P5/P6?

Postby Great_Minds » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Having difficulties on Chinese Comprehension and Composition?
I would like to open a new thread to discuss the tips to score high in Reading Comprehension and Composition for PSLE Chinese.

o Does your child have the skills to answer comprehension questions in complete sentences?
o Does your child know how to cover all points so he/she will not lose marks when answer the questions?
o Does your child know how to tackle difficult comprehension questions?
o Does your child know how to complete the last picture in picture description看图作文? What are the traps he or she should avoid?
o Does your child know how to start his/her composition so that he/she can give a good first impression?
o Does your child have problem that he/she got nothing to say in Chinese Compo? How can we help him/her to overcome the problem?
o Does your child know how to end his/her composition so that he/she can make the marker to give him/her a great score?
o Does your child know how to get A* for comprehension? What are the “X factors’ for A* compo?

Please feel free to post your questions here and I will be more than happy to answer them. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Great_Minds
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Having difficulties on Chinese Compre and Compo-P5/P6?

Postby HCH » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Great_Minds,
There are 2 types of compo, picture description看图作文 or 命题作文
How should kids choose?
My child always likes to choose 命题作文, but it seems quite difficult to get high marks for 命题, 看图作文 is easier, isn't it?

HCH
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Great_Minds » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 am

HCH,
That is a very good question.

Many students do not know how to select between 看图作文 or 命题作文 wisely.

In essence they are actully the same. Why I say that? Because for primary Chinese compo, the requirement is just to write a narrative (记叙文).Therefore the skills required for a 看图作文 or 命题作文 are actaully the same. For either 看图作文 or 命题作文, you need to have the skills to write a good narrative. In other words, you have to tell the story well with various parts complete including 开头(beginning of the story),发展(development of the story),高潮(climax of the story),结尾(ending)

Tell you dd/ds if he/she has a good story (from his/her own experience or read from somewhere) which matchs the 命题作文 well, then just try the 命题作文. Else, to play safe, 看图作文 is a better choice as the pictures tell you the story clearly already. :smile: :smile:

Great_Minds
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Michaelia0816 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:28 pm

It is safe in picture compo as many student write out of point

Michaelia0816
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Great_Minds » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Michaelia0816, it depends on individual student.

I do not tell my students to always pick picture compo in order to play safe. If they can relate to the命题作文 well with a good story, it will help them to stand out and get a high score. Picking the picture compo is safer, but your story is somehow restricted already, you have to work on other parts of the compo in order to stand out. :smile: :smile:

Great_Minds
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Great_Minds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am

up

Great_Minds
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby proudmum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Great minds, do u offer tuition. I am looking for a hcl tutor for my p5 girl.
Kindly email hockment@yahoo.com.sg. Tks

proudmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fightingmom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Great_Minds wrote:Hi Michaelia0816, it depends on individual student.

I do not tell my students to always pick picture compo in order to play safe. If they can relate to the命题作文 well with a good story, it will help them to stand out and get a high score. Picking the picture compo is safer, but your story is somehow restricted already, you have to work on other parts of the compo in order to stand out. :smile: :smile:

I would agree with the above. My DD prefers to choose命题作文 cos it gives her more free hand in writing and expanding the plot she has in mind. However, i still "train" her to write picture compo just in case she got "stuck" in 命题作文:xedfingers:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Great_Minds » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

fightingmom wrote:

I would agree with the above. My DD prefers to choose命题作文 cos it gives her more free hand in writing and expanding the plot she has in mind. However, i still "train" her to write picture compo just in case she got "stuck" in 命题作文:xedfingers:

:smile:
It is safer to train our children to write picture compo, however you may want to encourage your DD to try 命题作文 if she is sure her story matches the 主题和副题 well.

Usually students who prefer 命题作文 tend to have better CL language skills (in my experience :smile: ) and they dare to explore different plots and more willing to express . This is sth we should protect and cultivate. :smile: :smile:

Great_Minds
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Michaelia0816 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Great_Minds wrote:
fightingmom wrote:

:smile:
It is safer to train our children to write picture compo, however you may want to encourage your DD to try 命题作文 if she is sure her story matches the 主题和副题 well.

Usually students who prefer 命题作文 tend to have better CL language skills (in my experience :smile: ) and they dare to explore different plots and more willing to express . This is sth we should protect and cultivate. :smile: :smile:

I scared if you're out of the point and you know the content will fail and you must fortunately pass ( for 命题作文)

Michaelia0816
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE