PSLE English Paper 1

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

PSLE English Paper 1

Postby krtc.marineparade » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

PSLE English Language Paper 1

When preparing for PSLE English Paper 1 – Be Smart. A detailed comparison and analysis of past-year PSLE Composition topics has given a clear indication of a trend. This “trend” is unique for each of the three components in the English Paper 1. If you are keen to study smart, then this is one of the best aids for targeted practice.

Situational Writing

Write a letter to the manager of Kico CD shop to ask for an exchange for the CD which you discovered was broken – A formal complaint letter

Write a letter to the residents of your neighborhood asking them to return your rabbit if they see it. - A formal appeal letter

Write an email to the Manager of Bedok Public Library to inform him of the librarian’s good deed. – A Formal email to an organization

Write an email to Roy to tell him of the choice of the gift. – An informal email to a friend

Write an email to inform Chris about the event. - An informal email to a friend

What is your guess?
Would it be another email?
Would it be a letter of Compliment or giving out directions?

Are you familiar with those formats and the tone that you have to use?

Please feel free to add in your thoughts.

In my next post, I will talk about Part 2: Continuous Writing (Picture Composition and situation-based Composition)

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: PSLE English Paper 1

Postby Saki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Can any one of you juz high light me how many marks will given to this continuous writing in PSLE?

this is about a school prefect and his duties

Being a school prefect is not always an admirable task if one considers the number of enemies one can create in the course of performing one's duty. I had such an experience one afternoon when I was on my way home from school.

Than afternoon, I was walking past a void deck near the school when I heard squeals of delight and shouts of some boys. Wondering if there was something interesting, I decided to take a look. To my horror, I saw some boys from our school using multi-coloured markers scribbling on the wall. I wanted to stop them but was a little hesitant as they were all taller and bigger than I am. But being a perfect, I had to carry out my duty plucking up my courage, I confronted them and told them to stop what they were doing. They pushed me aside and told me to mind my own business. I told them that I would report them to the principal id they did not stop and they threatned to beat me up if I dared to do that.

Just at that moment, Mr. Lam, my form teacher walked towards, us. He had witnessed what had happened when he was on his was home, When the boys saw him, they stopped their scribbling and trembled. I told Mr. Lam what had happned and he marched the boys back to school to be disciplined by the discipline mistress. The discipline mistress made them clean up the wall and apologies to me. After that, the discipline mistress and Mr. Lam praised me for carrying out my duty responsibly.

Saki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby krtc.marineparade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Saki wrote:Can any one of you juz high light me how many marks will given to this continuous writing in PSLE?

this is about a school prefect and his duties

Being a school prefect is not always an admirable task if one considers the number of enemies one can create in the course of performing one's duty. I had such an experience one afternoon when I was on my way home from school.

Than afternoon, I was walking past a void deck near the school when I heard squeals of delight and shouts of some boys. Wondering if there was something interesting, I decided to take a look. To my horror, I saw some boys from our school using multi-coloured markers scribbling on the wall. I wanted to stop them but was a little hesitant as they were all taller and bigger than I am. But being a perfect, I had to carry out my duty plucking up my courage, I confronted them and told them to stop what they were doing. They pushed me aside and told me to mind my own business. I told them that I would report them to the principal id they did not stop and they threatned to beat me up if I dared to do that.

Just at that moment, Mr. Lam, my form teacher walked towards, us. He had witnessed what had happened when he was on his was home, When the boys saw him, they stopped their scribbling and trembled. I told Mr. Lam what had happned and he marched the boys back to school to be disciplined by the discipline mistress. The discipline mistress made them clean up the wall and apologies to me. After that, the discipline mistress and Mr. Lam praised me for carrying out my duty responsibly.

The essay is just too short for substantial content marks to be given. There seems to be no major grammar or spelling mistakes, so the language component would be okay if the essay was of average length.

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby krtc.marineparade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm

In my previous post, we looked at the trend of situational writing.
Let's take a look at the Picture Composition now.

Picture Composition

Two kids throwing eggs down from a HDB flat near a Primary school - Accident/Mischief outside a school

A boy fell into a hole in a park - Accident in a Park

A student bitten by a crab in a beach – Accident in a beach

A student dropped her ice-cream cone from the second floor of a shopping centre onto a man on the first floor – Accident/mishap in a shopping centre

Elephant spraying water at a tourist in a zoo – Accident/mishap in a zoo

What sort of accident/mishap?
Fire? Drowning?

Where?
At home? In school? Or Public Transport?

Share your view.

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kuts » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 am

My guess is fire at home

kuts
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby krtc.marineparade » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Situation-based Composition

When it comes to Situation-based Composition, you are always involved in the situation. You need to imagine yourself to be at the place and using your five senses to describe the situation. Let’s take a look at the past five years topics.

I was travelling in an MRT train when it came to a sudden stop. The next minute, I found myself in total darkness – Place: MRT

AS you and your father were approaching your lift lobby, you saw a man push your elderly neighbour into the lift. Before you could find out what was happening, the lift doors closed - Place: Lift Lobby

Your were waiting for your mother outside a shop in a shopping mall when you heard a strange noise – Place: Shopping mall

You and your friends were at a bus stop when you noticed an elderly woman walking in an unsteady manner towards you – Place: Bus Stop

You were walking towards a shop. Suddenly, you saw people running out of the shop – Place: Outside a shop

Where is it going to be?
School/Theme park/Home/Stadium

What happen?
Spot something strange? Hear someone screaming/crying? Witnessing a crime/accident?

Share your view.

http://krtc-marineparade.blogspot.com

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby krtc.marineparade » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Go to this thread

and follow the link to see some Compoistion writing techniques that work.

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby koguma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:26 am

krtc.marineparade wrote:Go to this thread

Do you have any recommendation on Primary English Composition book for P6 foundation student? Hope to find one which I can show to my nephew on how to write a proper composition and letter/memo.

Thanks.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby krtc.marineparade » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:35 pm

koguma wrote:
krtc.marineparade wrote:Go to this thread

Do you have any recommendation on Primary English Composition book for P6 foundation student? Hope to find one which I can show to my nephew on how to write a proper composition and letter/memo.

Thanks.

Our Composition writing course helps both weak and strong students excel in their own way.
Visit our Blog to find out more.

krtc.marineparade
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kamom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:06 am

Is there a site where I can download some topics for situational writing?

:thankyou:

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE