Changes in PSLE formats over the past few years

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Changes in PSLE formats over the past few years

Postby Will_lim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

My DS is having his PSLE next year. As you know, PSLE is like the new "O" Levels and it would be great if our kids can have a good start to their academic journey by doing well for PSLE.

Lately, I have been reading up on some news about changes in PSLE testing formats but have gotten a little lost along the way. I would really appreciate if someone can kindly update me on the changes in PSLE testing formats over the years so that I can keep track and have a better understanding on how to help my DS prepare for his PSLE. Thank you!!

Will_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Changes in PSLE formats over the past few years

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:38 pm

None of the changes affect 2013 PSLE.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chicken Rice Mom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm

My DD will do the PSLE in 2015 and according to Today online on 4 September there will be some major changes in the English paper that year.

Accordingly there will be a visual text comprehension in the form of a MCQ. The open-ended comprehension questions in paper 2 will be more varied than before. In the listening comprehension part there will be more graphics. Regarding the Oral communication part there will be a visual stimulus (connected to the Reading aloud passage) as you shall respond to. Followed by a discussion on a relevant topic.

I've understood that the teachers will get educated in these changes later this year. I am now thinking about how to modify the tuition for my DD. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Or maybe know something more about the changes? :smile:
Chicken Rice Mom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:15 pm

oh my god.. that's going to affect the results tremendously right??

this is not speech and drama subject, why get so verbal?

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

My DD will take her PSLE exam in 2015. Sigh. Hopefully the school and the teachers will be well-versed with the changes. I believe all the schools (not only the elite schools) get sufficient resources to support this programme. No past year question papers for us then.....

Tuition centres can not recycle their old worksheets :evil: Now need to plan and come with the new programme at least to cover the changes. This can justify to increase the fees in the tuition/enrichment centres. :moneyflies: . Parents...Work hard.....work hard....

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 pm

increase in fees are happening every year, either in fees or in material fees... very used to that... even w/o the change, centres still increase. am i right to say that?

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:increase in fees are happening every year, either in fees or in material fees... very used to that... even w/o the change, centres still increase. am i right to say that?

Of course, yes. They increase the fees every year. What I meant is just another reason for them to increase...Anyway, that is not our main issue. As long as they come up with quality papers, we are ok. If there is no past year papers to guide us along, no choice. Tuition centres gain from there....

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm

the students most affected will be the first batch who will kenna this.. supposed to be P3 this yr... poor them..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 am

verykiasumummy wrote:the students most affected will be the first batch who will kenna this.. supposed to be P3 this yr... poor them..

Yes my DD's batch

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chicken Rice Mom » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

verykiasumummy wrote:oh my god.. that's going to affect the results tremendously right??

this is not speech and drama subject, why get so verbal?

It seems like it. I am therefore planning to do some tuition changes already now so my DS gets used to this new setting. I am just not really sure about this "new setting". As you say it is not a drama class, it's still English comprehension, but I do not have much experience or knowledge myself regarding "verbal best-practice".

HAPPYH wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:the students most affected will be the first batch who will kenna this.. supposed to be P3 this yr... poor them..

Yes my DD's batch

My DD as well, so we have a challenge here I suppose...?
Chicken Rice Mom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE