Providing a better Learning Environment

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby Will_lim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 pm

As parents, what can we do as parents to provide a better learning environment for our children?
- be quiet when they are studying
- ensure there is plenty of light in the room
- provide them with a good and nutritious meals
- provide a clean, spacious desk with a comfortable chair

Can any of you come up with more ideas to help our beloved children?

Will_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby alisaken » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm

I know it's quite conservative but I really want to limit my boy's time spent on watching TV.

It's really easy for him to get distracted and spend the whole night watching TV shows.

Do you think it would be too strict?

alisaken
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 am

alisaken wrote:I know it's quite conservative but I really want to limit my boy's time spent on watching TV.

It's really easy for him to get distracted and spend the whole night watching TV shows.

Do you think it would be too strict?

Then we are even more conservative. In Pr school, my kids didn't even watch TV daily, and there was a period we didn't have a TV. If there was free time after schoolwork was done, they would read or play, and sometimes watch videos but the time was limited to 1 hr (max) and not every day. I always told them "the OFF switch is there for a reason..." Even during weekends they only watched a couple of hours at most. We also limited computer time to 40 mins at a time, and not every day.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 am

Will_lim wrote:As parents, what can we do as parents to provide a better learning environment for our children?
- be quiet when they are studying
- ensure there is plenty of light in the room
- provide them with a good and nutritious meals
- provide a clean, spacious desk with a comfortable chair

Can any of you come up with more ideas to help our beloved children?

Talk to them about what they are learning and help them relate it to 'real life'.
Show interest and enthusiasm about what they are learning; don't make learning sound like a necessary evil.
Help them plan their time so they can be efficient, and let them play and relax when they are done.
Help them with 'busy work' if they are pressed for time (unfortunately, school often gives unnecessary busy work) so they can have time to read, play and sleep.
Encourage them to read widely and develop other interests besides studying.
Don't compare them with other kids.
Praise them for effort and not results.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby Will_lim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 am

Actually is there any food that can make one more awake? I don't really recommend coffee of course. Caffeine is not so good for health. I remember when I did my "O" levels I used to drink orange juice or Chicken's Essence in the morning before the exam. Gave me such a mental boost!! And of course, when I was young, I also took Cod Liver Oil. Yummy!

Anyone else gives their kids interesting food?

Will_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby bebebub » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:10 am

:hi5:
slmkhoo wrote:
alisaken wrote:I know it's quite conservative but I really want to limit my boy's time spent on watching TV.

It's really easy for him to get distracted and spend the whole night watching TV shows.

Do you think it would be too strict?

Then we are even more conservative. In Pr school, my kids didn't even watch TV daily, and there was a period we didn't have a TV. If there was free time after schoolwork was done, they would read or play, and sometimes watch videos but the time was limited to 1 hr (max) and not every day. I always told them "the OFF switch is there for a reason..." Even during weekends they only watched a couple of hours at most. We also limited computer time to 40 mins at a time, and not every day.

:hi5:
my P4 dd didn't watch TV except the occasional times when there is a very good program, which is very rare. She reads or do other stuff in her free time. No computer access at all except for school related stuff. It may seem cruel to some, but I feel that she is not missing out on anything by not watching tv or accessing the computer. JMHO

Back to the topic, TV is also mostly out for my 4 year-old, especially when jiejie is doing her work. It helps to minimise undue distraction. Hence a better learning environment.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 am
Total Likes: 8


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Will_lim wrote:Actually is there any food that can make one more awake? I don't really recommend coffee of course. Caffeine is not so good for health. I remember when I did my "O" levels I used to drink orange juice or Chicken's Essence in the morning before the exam. Gave me such a mental boost!! And of course, when I was young, I also took Cod Liver Oil. Yummy!

Anyone else gives their kids interesting food?

I drink coffee every morn...need that cup in order to kick start my day.
Hated the taste of chicken essence, original cod liver oil and pig liver.

I furnished my kids' rooms with 3M polarizing table lamp. It makes a difference.
Home-cooked meals even if just a soup is very nourishing.
Cut down on canned drinks, sweets and chocolate.
Nordic cod liver oil...peach flavor. For DHA.
Air con. A cool environment helps to learn better.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33729
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby bleeze » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Will_lim wrote:Actually is there any food that can make one more awake? I don't really recommend coffee of course. Caffeine is not so good for health. I remember when I did my "O" levels I used to drink orange juice or Chicken's Essence in the morning before the exam. Gave me such a mental boost!! And of course, when I was young, I also took Cod Liver Oil. Yummy!

Anyone else gives their kids interesting food?


I give my kids Green Tea. It somehow makes one more awake.

bleeze
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby iggy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Water to keep them hydrated. Get them interested in general knowledge and current affairs. TV is surprising a good medium for that but need choose program such as discovery national geograhic.

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Providing a better Learning Environment

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 am

No facebook access. No wii and iphone in my home. Weekly swimming lessons. Classical music when they study cos there is a school of thought that it improves memory - Mozart effect. No harm if it is not true, benefit DC if it is true.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 9


Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE