2014 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

2014 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Postby Pinky Piglet » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi all

Pls advise what are the things to look out for when they are in p5.
Heard its a great jump...starting to get kancheong over my gal who will be in p5 next year.

:thankyou:

Sharing a quote from verykiasu2010 on PSLE 2014:
verykiasu2010 wrote:okay this is sounding like madly kiasu to the extreme, the 2012 PSLE has NOT collected the last script from the kids and now talk about 2014 PSLE ?

well, it depends how involved you are as a parent and how kiasu you want to be for your kids' PSLE

after pri 3 streaming (last year 2011) into GEP and mainstream, the kids are adapting to a higher level of learning in Pri 4 (2012).

going into pri 5 next year will be a year of solid learning and stepping up in difficulty level in all subjects. some will also embark on higher mother tongue.

bearing in mind when in pri 6, most of the syllabus would have been completed by mid year or latest by July, and start term 3 with PSLE preparation, orals, etc etc .....

therefore pri 5 is the year to start catching up for the weaker kids; it is also a year for the stronger kids to ensure the solid foundation in all subjects is laid and build confidence level for pri 6

especially for kids weaker in CL/EL - may need to start looking for tutor if the performance has been weak - don't wait till pri 6 then realise it - it will be kind of late

for math and science, the exam covers stuff from pri 4 onwards....so better ensure that the kids have a good grasp throughout pri 5, so that by pri 6 time, it will be consolidation of knowledge and application

also, for DSA aspirants - you cannot miss pri 5 : all DSA sec schools require pri 5 performance record; and RI even asks for pri 4 records. so make sure your kids start to build the right & relevant credentials for the DSA starting from now.

I hate to say this but effectively this is so : the PSLE is the "new O level" where competition for entrance to top JC/IP schools have shifted down from the O level of old to the present PSLE, with the introduction of through-train IP schools.

so, parents of pri 4 kids (2012), this thread is dedicated for you to journey with your DD/DS's PSLE journey.....

who shall be the first kiasu pri 4 parent to start ?

Note: We just have to make Uncle's presence felt.... :wink:

Pinky Piglet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Preparing kids for P5 in year 2013

Postby Cindy Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 am

:dancing: Yes, my DS will be in P5 too next yr... I would also like to know more abt the pro n con in getting ready mentally ...

:please:

Cindy Tay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pinky Piglet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 am

Hi cindy

What I plan to do is after my dd SA2 I will zoom into her weakness in the four subjects and cover up the gap and also to make use the school holidays to introduce her some p5 work so that when she starts p5 next year she will be able to adjust accordingly of course not forgetting to give her time to rest & relax... I believe a balance lifestyle :)

Pinky Piglet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tppsue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 am

Same here. My boy is going up P5 and everyone has been telling me that it's a BIG jump. So worried that he will do badly for his exams and coming PSLE. Any advise on how to overcome this...??

tppsue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Pinky Piglet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 am

Hi tppsue

To me p5 is a crucial year so I will be monitoring my dd progress closely will try to clear all her doubts along the way I do not believe in last minute drilling so for me I will start preparation for PSLE next year in a gradual pace.. At the same time I will have to work hand in hand with DD teachers to know which area she is lack at so we can help her fill up the necessary gaps in between... I sound so kiasu and kiasi lol

Pinky Piglet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Suz855 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

Speaking from own experience, my girl p5 this year, you might want to download the ca1 p5 exam papers esp. the 2 languages n get them to work throu them.

The toughest challenge for my dd is English language n she did well in her p4, I think partly also the fact that she was taught by one of the most 'challenging' type of teacher that u won't want to meet ... so yes get them to read plenty of books too during the coming holiday n pray .... If your dc get quality teachers in the coming year then it should be alright .... After all 2 years of preparation for PSLE ... More than sufficient to get them there la .... Have fun n enjoy.

:oops:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Cindy Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am

Pinky Piglet wrote:Hi tppsue

To me p5 is a crucial year so I will be monitoring my dd progress closely will try to clear all her doubts along the way I do not believe in last minute drilling so for me I will start preparation for PSLE next year in a gradual pace.. At the same time I will have to work hand in hand with DD teachers to know which area she is lack at so we can help her fill up the necessary gaps in between... I sound so kiasu and kiasi lol

:hugs: No la, you're aren't Kaisu or Kaisi but partly we as a parent. trying to fill up whatever is lack in them, which also causing some doubt in some of their works too… I'm like that to ….Lol :snuggles:

Cindy Tay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Cindy Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Suz855 wrote:Speaking from own experience, my girl p5 this year, you might want to download the ca1 p5 exam papers esp. the 2 languages n get them to work throu them.

The toughest challenge for my dd is English language n she did well in her p4, I think partly also the fact that she was taught by one of the most 'challenging' type of teacher that u won't want to meet ... so yes get them to read plenty of books too during the coming holiday n pray .... If your dc get quality teachers in the coming year then it should be alright .... After all 2 years of preparation for PSLE ... More than sufficient to get them there la .... Have fun n enjoy.

:oops:

Suz for your advise :grphug:

Cindy Tay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Some key observations :
*Science
P3 and P4 work will still be tested so it is important that the kids have a good foundation. If your child currently struggles in P3 and P4, then it's good to revisit those topics and revise again

* Maths
Speed and exposure to different types of questions. Ensure kids do not become over reliant on calculator otherwise their paper 1 will suffer. My P5 FT told us that ask the kids to try to score as much for paper 1 so that passing is easy. For this subject, in my kids' school, there are alot of failure and cohort average is only 50+. So it does seem more killer as compared to other subjects.

I've a P4 who is P5 next year and frankly..... I wonder how prepared we are during his time... as it all depends on the child as well.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby mummyv » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi all

My DD is in P5 this year. Just to share, I was complacent about the jump because she was the top 25% of her school's cohort during P4. I envisioned the strategies we put into place would serve her and me well - buying and doing worksheets/top school papers diligently closer to exams is sufficient. I was wrong. My focus on results and not on the process is incorrect.

What I think I would have done differently is let her have more time to PLAY. This year, I shed silent tears when I see her workload. I should step in earlier when extreme burdens are placed on her in the guise of homework e.g. 40 book reports in 2 weeks. I cringe when I see the remarks teachers make on her worksheets. I should have monitored more closely because the pace is faster in P5 compared to P4. I would build up her self motivation and self resistance to negative influences. I would encourage learning for self-discovery to make it less of a chore. I should have also stepped in earlier to advocate broad-based reading not just her fav chick lit. Quality reading NOT quantity translates into better English vocab.

Above all, the push to want to study to bridge the gap must come from the child because it gets really hard...and it MUST be enough if the child has really tried but is still not doing as well as your own expectations. Because we as parents must never lose sight of the fact that exams and PSLE are only part of the long journey ahead....
Last edited by mummyv on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mummyv
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE