At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

At what age should you start to prepare your child for PSLE?

Postby Will_lim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 am

All of us wants the best for our DS and DDs included giving them a safe and playful childhood, but most importantly a stable and secure future, especially in a country like Singapore where education is everything. To be able to fulfill the latter I believe that a good education is the key and that's why PSLE is so important for so many of us as PSLE is one of the important steps in being able to continue the advancement in the Singaporean school system.

-So at what age should you start to prepare for PSLE?
- How often do your kids have tuitions a week? How many hours? In order to safeguard their childhood and their future.

My DS has been taken tuitions for several years already but is it really necessary (and should it be) to put your child through tuitions to pass the PLSE with a good/average+ degree? Does someone has any experience to share?

Will_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

Postby Will_lim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm

All of us wants the best for our DS and DDs included giving them a safe and playful childhood, but most importantly a stable and secure future, especially in a country like Singapore where education is everything. To be able to fulfill the latter I believe that a good education is the key and that's why PSLE is so important for so many of us as PSLE is one of the important steps in being able to continue the advancement in the Singaporean school system.

-So at what age should you start to prepare for PSLE?
- How often do your kids have tuitions a week? How many hours? In order to safeguard their childhood and their future.

My DS has been taken tuitions for several years already but is it really necessary (and should it be) to put your child through tuitions to pass the PLSE with a good/average+ degree? Does someone has any experience to share?

Will_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

Postby mummy so kiasu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Preparation for PSLE usually start at P5. However, it is important to ensure that your child has build up a strong foundation in P3 & P4. Whether tuition is necessary will have to depend on your son's performance in school & your expectations. By the time your child goes to P5, he will have a lot of supplementary lesson & homework from his school. If your child has been getting band 1 or A, then tuition will be optional.
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Rational_Parent » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I am not too sure but I guess it depends on your DC.

For my DS, its always 1 week before any exams, PSLE included, will he start his "motor" doing assessments and other schools' past year papers as prep for the exams. And yet he is on the computer for hours everyday!

Fortunately for us his KSPs, he is an above-average pupil since P1 who results and humble awards in P4, P5 and P6 got him a DSA CO to DHS. So we were lucky.

My take is that students are being pushed too hard in school in P6 these days that I felt should be sufficient. But many parents I know said the best time to start is immediately after P5 final year where, depending on DC result, ascertain how much effort is needed for your DC to perform at his highest level during prelim as well as PSLE. At the end of the day, it is how KS you are and how your DC is performing each year that will determine when best to start. :smile:

Rational_Parent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: At what age should you start to prepare your child for P

Postby mummy so kiasu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Deleted
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1girl1boy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

My experience: you should start as early as possible in P6. Especially the languages. Maths and Science depends on how much intensive effort you want to put in after you started. If you're ok with practicing 4-5 papers a day, then 1-2 months ahead. If not June is a good time to start (for my case).
Hope that help:)
Gone are the days that you can start just one week ahead. Those belong only to our generation.

1girl1boy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am

mummy so kiasu wrote:Preparation for PSLE usually start at P5. However, it is important to ensure that your child has build up a strong foundation in P3 & P4.

Kids should have their foundation built for languages before they start school...especially English. With 3 subjects using English, there is even more reason. When the child goes to P5 though, he/she is introduced to PSLE syllabus...most parents would agree it is a different ball game altogether. This is not frightening parents but true fact.

Personally, PSLE preparation starts in Nov after P5 SA2.

With schools having mini assessments from P1, gone are the days when preparation is done 1-2 weeks before the BIG exam. Consistency is key now.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1girl1boy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:56 pm

1girl1boy wrote:My experience: you should start as early as possible in P6. Especially the languages. Maths and Science depends on how much intensive effort you want to put in after you started. If you're ok with practicing 4-5 papers a day, then 1-2 months ahead. If not June is a good time to start (for my case).
Hope that help:)
Gone are the days that you can start just one week ahead. Those belong only to our generation.

I would like to clarify the earlier post. we started for the languages beginning of P6. But for Maths and Science, because of all the supplementary classes mounted by the school, we couldnt squeeze in the time early. So we started the preparation in June while relying on the school for those 2 subjects. That is for my case. The problem is very much how to get the time. Dont ever try to do the preparation 1 week before the big exams!

1girl1boy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby weatherbee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 am

After Primary 5 SA2 exam. My son has been taking Math and Science tuition. So far so good. But as his PSLE is next year, am thinking of sending him for English and Chinese tuition as well.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 am

weatherbee wrote:After Primary 5 SA2 exam. My son has been taking Math and Science tuition. So far so good. But as his PSLE is next year, am thinking of sending him for English and Chinese tuition as well.

Totally agree. At most give your child 3 days to play...but start preparing EARLY.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE