At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Re: At what age should you start to prepare for PSLE

Post by TheAnswer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 am

My girl is like ur second son. Drains not just her own battery but mine too.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 am

MrsKiasu wrote:Some kids are born gifted, i believe more strongly now.

But will that 'special gift' no matter how much of it gifted in a person, eroded or totally lost if no cultivation at all arh?

MrsKiasu, all kids are gifted. All kids are gifted in different manner. It's just parents who wanted children to be gifted in studies. WE parents are no good. :siam:

There is more to gifted children than their intelligence. Some kids are very sensitive to emotion, some think like an adult but they are actually kiddo, some has a great sense of justice. Some kids are gifted in creating stuffs, arts, sports, music or studies. Some kids are gifted in their social aspect. Some kids are gifted in their mouth - very good in talking.

Not all gifted children are high achievers. Many times gifted children because of their emotional sensitivities and above-average intelligence suffer from anxiety, fear of failure or perfectionism, and other factors which can prevent them from being successful in school.

Gifted children can excel in Math and Science, and then just failed big time in English and Reading.

Look at your kids closely, they are gifted in some aspect that you have not seen. Tap onto that and see what you can do to nurture on.

For me, I do not want to be involved in a mad study race. I try to stear clear from it, as it is giving me unwanted fear and worries. I also do not want to see my children feeling dengerated just because they can't reach their target at PSLE level since there are more "exams" to come in life. As long as the kids get into a reasonable school and able to cope on his own without me being around. I am a happy mum. I can't be there all the time. What if one day I have fallen sick, will my children fall to grace just because I am not there? As a parent, we all want our children to be independent as fast as possible. To be able to stand on their 2 little feet.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 am

laughingcat wrote:
To achieve that kind of learning attitude requires loads of nagging from me in the beginning. :rant: In the beginning, constantly punish them by taking away their favorite stuff which is go outside and play with neighbours lah and send them to bed early. After while, they knows when I will break. So give them space to grow and explore.
Argumentatively, isn't that "preparation"?

"Preparation" shouldn't be narrowly confined to academic preparation. Mental and physical well-being, as well as development of character traits and attitudes, form part of any preparation. It's not a stretch to think that "preparation" starts early in P1 or K1.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:50 am

No lah.....now they are old....must balance between study/homework and play mah. This is not preparation leh. This is call balance. :lol: Must have time for everything mah. Did not finished school homework, the teachers will come after me leh.

When they are young with no primary schooling, they can play all they want.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:47 pm

laughingcat wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:Some kids are born gifted, i believe more strongly now.

But will that 'special gift' no matter how much of it gifted in a person, eroded or totally lost if no cultivation at all arh?

MrsKiasu, all kids are gifted. All kids are gifted in different manner. It's just parents who wanted children to be gifted in studies. WE parents are no good. :siam:

There is more to gifted children than their intelligence. Some kids are very sensitive to emotion, some think like an adult but they are actually kiddo, some has a great sense of justice. Some kids are gifted in creating stuffs, arts, sports, music or studies. Some kids are gifted in their social aspect. Some kids are gifted in their mouth - very good in talking.

Not all gifted children are high achievers. Many times gifted children because of their emotional sensitivities and above-average intelligence suffer from anxiety, fear of failure or perfectionism, and other factors which can prevent them from being successful in school.

Gifted children can excel in Math and Science, and then just failed big time in English and Reading.

Look at your kids closely, they are gifted in some aspect that you have not seen. Tap onto that and see what you can do to nurture on.

For me, I do not want to be involved in a mad study race. I try to stear clear from it, as it is giving me unwanted fear and worries. I also do not want to see my children feeling dengerated just because they can't reach their target at PSLE level since there are more "exams" to come in life. As long as the kids get into a reasonable school and able to cope on his own without me being around. I am a happy mum. I can't be there all the time. What if one day I have fallen sick, will my children fall to grace just because I am not there? As a parent, we all want our children to be independent as fast as possible. To be able to stand on their 2 little feet.
LC, i m number one no good la :laugh: It crosses my mind to think of the 'sufferings' to be endured by kids..yup i think this is the suffering my kid(s) going through. But then, i was like that too. The only diff is they are just too many smarties nowadays so really more stressful to them la I must admit. This is the resilience I m hoping them to build up. Experiencing bottom level not new to esp dd1. Classmates or even maybe teachers look down on her nothing new. I m helping her la..i spend many hours on ksp to learn then tell dd what to expect :razz: :oops:

kiasu kia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: At what age should you start to prepare your child for P

Post by kiasu kia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Will_lim wrote:All of us wants the best for our DS and DDs included giving them a safe and playful childhood, but most importantly a stable and secure future, especially in a country like Singapore where education is everything. To be able to fulfill the latter I believe that a good education is the key and that's why PSLE is so important for so many of us as PSLE is one of the important steps in being able to continue the advancement in the Singaporean school system.

-So at what age should you start to prepare for PSLE?
- How often do your kids have tuitions a week? How many hours? In order to safeguard their childhood and their future.

My DS has been taken tuitions for several years already but is it really necessary (and should it be) to put your child through tuitions to pass the PLSE with a good/average+ degree? Does someone has any experience to share?

kiasu kia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by kiasu kia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Champion wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:
mummy so kiasu wrote:Preparation for PSLE usually start at P5. However, it is important to ensure that your child has build up a strong foundation in P3 & P4.
Kids should have their foundation built for languages before they start school...especially English. With 3 subjects using English, there is even more reason. When the child goes to P5 though, he/she is introduced to PSLE syllabus...most parents would agree it is a different ball game altogether. This is not frightening parents but true fact.
Personally, PSLE preparation starts in Nov after P5 SA2.
Agrees that foundation has to be laid strong in the lower primary and slowly build up at P3. Starting at P4, I can feel that (at least for my DD1's case) teacher moves at a very fast pace to cover a lot of components :sweat: Especially so for English - I can see that EL T dished out compo every week and made the class to re-write and re-write if grammatically or content is incorrect :cry:

DD1's Maths Tuition centre academic year starts in Nov 2012 so officially she will be doing P5 Maths in about 3 weeks' time. Will be following the same Teacher and that T already "PRE-WARN" :evil: ," P5 is a v tough year and especially so for Maths. So, I need all of your co-operation. If I find anyone of you not doing homework and not attentive in class, I will talk to your parents as 1st warning. If things do not improve again after 3rd warning, then please leave my class - don't waste your time and mine too!" :yikes: :scared: Sound serious yah :wink:
I kind of disagree with you. I graduated frm Pri sch a few years back and TBH P5-P6 is much harder than p4-p5.
By p6, the speed will be way faster and by March, all Teachers have already started revision. I suggest about June p6 start revision and all should be fine

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by phtthp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:11 pm

should start preparing for PSLE, after end of P4 SA1

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm

I just woke up for SA1 :sweat: :laugh: 2nd sem topics went through already?

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mylulaoshi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

For PSLE Chinese, Oral and Compo Foundation for PSLE laid from Pri 4. Students forget, so need to revise every semester for SA1 & 2.
Syllabus revision should start in March hols for Pri 6. On-going till PSLE. Need to re-cap Pri 4-6 syllabus. This month should be cramming for Oral and Compo first. For Pri 6 SA1, by right should include Pri 5 syllabus in revision, but if time doesn't allow, then 6A Chap 1-8.