How to study for Chinese?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

How to study for Chinese?

Postby clay569 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 am

Dear fellow parents,

Would like to seek your advice how to improve on Chinese, oral, compre and compo in particular. DS is taking his psle next year...any idea what do markers look out for in normal Chinese and higher Chinese compo?

What materials in the mkt are recommended?

Tia....

clay569
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: How to study for Chinese?

Postby orlandospito30 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 am

clay569 wrote:Dear fellow parents,

Would like to seek your advice how to improve on Chinese, oral, compre and compo in particular. DS is taking his psle next year...any idea what do markers look out for in normal Chinese and higher Chinese compo?

What materials in the mkt are recommended?

Tia....

My DS very weak in his chinese too, until he went to a tuition centre for lesson. The teacher there recommended me to ask him to start reading his own textbook everyday for 10-15 mins, it will improve in his oral and he will learn to recognize the chinese characters. Initially he has difficulty, but as time pass by, his reading really improved and he can recognize more chinese characters. From then, Its also much easier to teach him. But must have determination to make him read every single day, if not, it wont work. =)

orlandospito30
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby clay569 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 am

Thx, orlandospito30. Could you share with me how his tutor teach compo?

clay569
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby GLORYmum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 am

I would recommend watching tv shows like those from china.
Quite helpful if your dc is interested.

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:06 am

For compo...your son needs to memorize some 开头,成语,好词好句 and 结尾. Son attended a talk with hubby at SPH...speaker said don't use names like 小明,明华,小丽 as it is too childish. Change to 华明,丽华 for eg. If you use a 成语 like 风和日丽, remember to back up with more as this 风和日丽 is too basic for PSLE.

That's what I can remember for oral because I revised with him.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 am

janet_lee88 wrote:For compo...your son needs to memorize some 开头,成语,好词好句 and 结尾. Son attended a talk with hubby at SPH...speaker said don't use names like 小明,明华,小丽 as it is too childish. Change to 华明,丽华 for eg. If you use a 成语 like 风和日丽, remember to back up with more as this 风和日丽 is too basic for PSLE.

Dear Mummy Janet :snuggles: :hugs: :udawoman:
:thankyou: very much for this precious advice - will share it with the Club 2002 thread parents as i think this is very valuable for all! :grphug:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Champion,
Don't say that lah...I can only remember this much.

Parents with kids going to sit for PSLE next year, do look out for a talk conducted by the principal of Han...hubby told me lots of hard sell but just ignore that and listen to the impt tips...should be around Aug.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clay569 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am

GLORYmum wrote:I would recommend watching tv shows like those from china.

GLORYmum, I'll try that. Thx... Couple of weeks back, I let kids watch 9pm Chinese drama serials but alamak! I haven't watched for years and was shocked at the chapelang language! Chinese sentence littered with English... :frustrated:

clay569
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clay569 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 am

janet_lee88 wrote:

For compo...your son needs to memorize some 开头,成语,好词好句 and 结尾. Son attended a talk with hubby at SPH...speaker said don't use names like 小明,明华,小丽 as it is too childish. Change to 华明,丽华 for eg. If you use a 成语 like 风和日丽, remember to back up with more as this 风和日丽 is too basic for PSLE.

Ooooo ok! Thanks a mil. It's nvr struck me names can be impt...

clay569
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby GLORYmum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 am

clay569 wrote:
GLORYmum wrote:I would recommend watching tv shows like those from china.

GLORYmum, I'll try that. Thx... Couple of weeks back, I let kids watch 9pm Chinese drama serials but alamak! I haven't watched for years and was shocked at the chapelang language! Chinese sentence littered with English... :frustrated:

Errr that is why I recommend those fr china and Taiwan but not in hokkien hor. Watch sin shows only if u need help on improving in becoming more Singaporean like me. :slapshead:

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE