2013 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re: 2013 PSLE and Preparations

Post by smartmummy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

oic thanks for the English version.So what do u trying to say?

piggybank
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by piggybank » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 pm

For your own interpretation for the story's relevance to our topic.
Or just for your reading pleasure if you don't think it is relevant.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Kekekekekeke!! 2013 PSLE thread is not kiasu. It is better for the children when parents start early to find out and think and talk and explore. This takes the pressure off P6 year a great deal. I started to pull my child out of his Chinese Failure Rut at end of P4 in 2010, in preparation for 2012 PSLE.

Ok what!

Start early means the child can still fit in regular play time all the way up to PSLE. Otherwise, the kid will be so stressed in P6 year. Of course, if parents start now to prepare for 2013 and expect to keep the pressure up high for 2 years, then your child will prolly register at IMH rather than RI/HCI/ACSI blah blah blah...

Start early by all means but pace yourselves.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

mfseng wrote:After the experience with my daughter in this year psle, I am getting more stress as I wished my son would do better in 2013 psle, so that the mother does not need to go through the painful of appealing process.

I am sure when it comes to ds turn, you'll be more prepared. Hope your dd's appeal got through.

piggybank
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by piggybank » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Chenonceau, you are also concerned about your kid's Chinese. Me too. I haven't read all related discussion thread on this. For my kid, Chinese is the pivoting subject to whether he become an average or an above average scorer. His Chinese is band 2 despite the fact that we are from a Mandarin speaking family. I really got to focus on this weakness area to help him excel.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi! I'm back again if anyone on this thread remember me still. DS will be sitting for 2013 PSLE. I agree that need to start preparing at pr 5. Well, haven't start yet actually. Any tips, any information or any threads that I should have a look, I'm most greatful. My dd just finished her PSLE this year. Don't ask her result pls. I just want to redeem my past for my inability to juggle work life balance. Hence the early start for ds.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:32 pm

EN wrote:Hi! I'm back again if anyone on this thread remember me still. DS will be sitting for 2013 PSLE. I agree that need to start preparing at pr 5. Well, haven't start yet actually. Any tips, any information or any threads that I should have a look, I'm most greatful. My dd just finished her PSLE this year. Don't ask her result pls. I just want to redeem my past for my inability to juggle work life balance. Hence the early start for ds.
maybe share with you what I did with my dd who's also taking PSLE in 2013. DD is a slower learner than her brother who, like your dd, took his PSLE in 2011. Therefore, I tried to help her as much as I can during the Dec hols.

Science
I started going through concepts taught in P5. After each topic, she will draw out the whole concept map. Next stage - application - she attempted questions in assessment books. From there, I could see she more or less understood what has been taught to her (I want to reserve the past year questions for later).

Chinese
I managed to cover Unit 1 to Unit 7 (first 7 topics of 5A). Go through vocab and how to use them. Familiarise her with the type of questions/format in the exam.

English -
I stressed on her weakness - commonly misspelt words. There is a component in PSLE paper called 'editing'. So I know she will lose alot of marks there if I don't tackle this weakness. I started making her spell words which are commonly misspelt like occurred (not occured), separate (not seperate), dilemma (not delimma), occasion (not ocassion), etc. At the same time, I make her understand the meaning of the words (vocab area tackled). But English is so wide, so I also make her read as much as possible.

Math - her weakest!
I send her to attend math workshops where she was taught the strategies to math problems. I have briefly introduced the topic on ratio and average. I feel more can be done for Math - she needs more practice and exposure to different questions. I want to do more, but there is just not enough time - because I wanted her also to have some time to play and relax.

Hope what I've done will give her a headstart in P5 (she takes a long time to learn a new concept, that's why I did the above)

Hope the above helps....

Newlykiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Newlykiasu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Verysuperkiasu wrote:
EN wrote:Hi! I'm back again if anyone on this thread remember me still. DS will be sitting for 2013 PSLE. I agree that need to start preparing at pr 5. Well, haven't start yet actually. Any tips, any information or any threads that I should have a look, I'm most greatful. My dd just finished her PSLE this year. Don't ask her result pls. I just want to redeem my past for my inability to juggle work life balance. Hence the early start for ds.
maybe share with you what I did with my dd who's also taking PSLE in 2013. DD is a slower learner than her brother who, like your dd, took his PSLE in 2011. Therefore, I tried to help her as much as I can during the Dec hols.

Science
I started going through concepts taught in P5. After each topic, she will draw out the whole concept map. Next stage - application - she attempted questions in assessment books. From there, I could see she more or less understood what has been taught to her (I want to reserve the past year questions for later).

Chinese
I managed to cover Unit 1 to Unit 7 (first 7 topics of 5A). Go through vocab and how to use them. Familiarise her with the type of questions/format in the exam.

English -
I stressed on her weakness - commonly misspelt words. There is a component in PSLE paper called 'editing'. So I know she will lose alot of marks there if I don't tackle this weakness. I started making her spell words which are commonly misspelt like occurred (not occured), separate (not seperate), dilemma (not delimma), occasion (not ocassion), etc. At the same time, I make her understand the meaning of the words (vocab area tackled). But English is so wide, so I also make her read as much as possible.

Math - her weakest!
I send her to attend math workshops where she was taught the strategies to math problems. I have briefly introduced the topic on ratio and average. I feel more can be done for Math - she needs more practice and exposure to different questions. I want to do more, but there is just not enough time - because I wanted her also to have some time to play and relax.

Hope what I've done will give her a headstart in P5 (she takes a long time to learn a new concept, that's why I did the above)

Hope the above helps....
Wow VSKS, i m very impressed with yr effort and deligence! Yr dd is very fortunate :-)

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 am

Hi Newlykiasu

Thanks for sharing. I'm really lost as I have been a hands off mummy for the past two years. I'm really interested in helping my son out in science.

ScienceWhen you say going through concept taught for pr5, what type of science book you're referring to? Do you do your reading in advance & prepare what to go through before sitting down with your dd?

Math
May I suggest that you get your dd to do math paper daily. If math is really bad (can't seem to remember 1 topic when moving on to another new topic), what you can do is to ensure that while she moves on to topic 2, get her to do daily (small portion of topic 1) and if move on to topic 3, get her to do daily topic 1 & 2 (small portion). She'll get better as time goes by. The effect will not be immediate though.

English
By now, I am not sure what his weaknesses are for English. Good that you know which area to tackle. Since my ds is slightly autistic, I guess the comprehension is pulling his mark down. But I'll just have to sit through with him to complete 1 paper to nail down what the issues are.

2nd Language
This is the most dreaded part. My strategy will be to go through past PSLE paper. Same strategy as how I approach English.

Newlykiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Newlykiasu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi EN,
I think u hv misread my post. Verysuperkiasu is the one who has shared her revision techniques with her DD. I m a hands-off mummy just like u :-)