2013 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
jhjkksdad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: 2013 PSLE and Preparations

Post by jhjkksdad » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

My recommendation:

For Science, use other schools Science papers as practice papers. Most of those revision exercise books in the market tend to have questions and answers that are not logical or just plain bad and may be more confusing to the child. IMO they cause more harm than good.

Don't just let you kid do the paper and mark. You need to understand and go thru with the kid as well.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 pm

EN wrote:Hi Newlykiasu

Thanks for sharing. I'm really lost as I have been a hands off mummy for the past two years. I'm really interested in helping my son out in science.

ScienceWhen you say going through concept taught for pr5, what type of science book you're referring to? Do you do your reading in advance & prepare what to go through before sitting down with your dd?

Math
May I suggest that you get your dd to do math paper daily. If math is really bad (can't seem to remember 1 topic when moving on to another new topic), what you can do is to ensure that while she moves on to topic 2, get her to do daily (small portion of topic 1) and if move on to topic 3, get her to do daily topic 1 & 2 (small portion). She'll get better as time goes by. The effect will not be immediate though.

English
By now, I am not sure what his weaknesses are for English. Good that you know which area to tackle. Since my ds is slightly autistic, I guess the comprehension is pulling his mark down. But I'll just have to sit through with him to complete 1 paper to nail down what the issues are.

2nd Language
This is the most dreaded part. My strategy will be to go through past PSLE paper. Same strategy as how I approach English.
For science, I use guide book 'science exam booster notes'. I'm fairly familiar (but not expert) with the various blocks and concepts covered under each block and topic as I've gone thru this with my ds who took his psle 2011. Yes, during my ds time since he was P3, I read up the topics way ahead and looked thru exam questions before attempting to teach him. And it worked for ds....I hope it'll work for dd too (I'm talking about PSLE).

For Math, yes what u said seems workable too. Will try to let her do practices cumulatively. I need to expose her to more different types of questions asked to familiarise which strategies to use. I also must remind myself to be more patient with her (sometimes when I get impatient, I raise my voice).

Comprehension is also a bit tough. Questions asked not so straightforward anymore - questions are the inference type - where the child is required to infer from the passage. There is also another comprehension - graphic stimulus. Remind your ds to pay attention to fine prints too.

I presume your ds 2nd lang is Chinese? If it is, then should focus on vocab in text book first (PSLE for Chinese, all questions asked in Paper 2 all come from words in the text) For compostion, try memorizing good introduction, ending and some phrases/expressions.

All the best....:)

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Newlykiasu wrote:
Wow VSKS, i m very impressed with yr effort and deligence! Yr dd is very fortunate :-)
Thanks, Newlykiasu. It's because she is quite slow in learning that's why I put in all the extra effort. Otherwise, she will suffer.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

jhjkksdad wrote:My recommendation:

For Science, use other schools Science papers as practice papers. Most of those revision exercise books in the market tend to have questions and answers that are not logical or just plain bad and may be more confusing to the child. IMO they cause more harm than good.

Don't just let you kid do the paper and mark. You need to understand and go thru with the kid as well.
Thanks for your sharing. :D Yes, it's best to be alert when marking child's work as not all the answers are accurate. Even the answers to other schools past papers may not be accurate as I found out during ds' psle preparation last year - much to my dismay.

ksfaith
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ksfaith » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:37 am

Hi All,

i am another kiasuparents. Btw would like to check will your be applying dsa? any tips for dsa?

ksfaith
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ksfaith » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:37 am

Hi All,

i am another kiasuparents. Btw would like to check will your be applying dsa? any tips for dsa?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:109

Post by jtoh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 am

ksfaith wrote:Hi All,

There's a wealth of information on DSA on this thread: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... f=48&t=157

It's very long though so you will need some time to plough through. But you'll find some honest opinions there plus tips.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:28 am

Hi VSK (short-form, easier to remember). Thanks for the tips. DS school has very good science programme. The sch has been featured in tv for this before (if ds conveyed the information to me correctly). My method to approach science will be the same as yours too. To do past papers along with the school ones. My only issue is DS never seem to bring his science paper back home. Don't think I have the time to read up science book way in advance. Will be doing the science reading with him at night before sleeping. Consider that our bedtime story book to read. :sweat:

Second language is Malay. My kids are those odd ones, given majority of Malay will find 2nd language an easier paper to score. I know to improve language is to use it daily. Since I'm working, my interaction with my kids are limited. Hence it falls back to the daily usage of English language. Zilch on 2nd language usage. I am still scrutinizing the PSLE paper format & work on those he has issues like vocabulary, oral and composition.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi En - It's good that your ds school has a strong science programme - that'll stimulate their interest in learning science and interactive activities will help them understand and remember the concepts better. Surely your ds will have to bring back science test papers done in school for revision like CA and SA?

Let's keep one another posted of our progress with our revision.....the road to the ultimate battle PSLE :nunchuk: :sweat: :nailbite:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 2013 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Post by EN » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Surely your ds will have to bring back science test papers done in school for revision like CA and SA?
Unfortunately he didn't. I even went over to his locker in school, there's nothing. I have no idea where he left his papers. This year has to be a bit diligent to follow through everyday & check his bag on the weekends.

Well, we'll have to keep each other posted on our progress :wink: