2013 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
jheng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 2013 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

Post by jheng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am

My ds will be doing his PSLE in 2013 :rahrah:

I will be attending open house with him this year for his schools of choice this year. He has in mind (not in order) ACSI, NUS High and SST. But will also have him attend a few more schools to widen his perspective.

Glad to meet all kiasu mom/dad like me here!!

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I will be attending open house with him this year for his schools of choice this year. He has in mind (not in order) ACSI, NUS High and SST. But will also have him attend a few more schools to widen his perspective.
Wah! Something for me to talk to my ds about! How do we know the school will have open house? I'm glancing at DSA thread but heee...just a thought but that is like aiming for the sky.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:54 pm

EN wrote:
Wah! Something for me to talk to my ds about! How do we know the school will have open house? I'm glancing at DSA thread but heee...just a thought but that is like aiming for the sky.
You can check the school website, or call the school to ask.

I don't intend to sign dd up for dsa.

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Erm...this is abit off topic but....

Is your P5 dd or ds going for the camp soon? Where r they camping at? My dd is camping in the zoo! Dd is very prone to getting mosquito bites. Even at home, during rainy seasons, she seems to be the only one getting all the bites. Told her it is a must to apply insect repellent no matter how smelly it is. They're going to be sleeping in tents. Quite interesting actually. First time I heard camping in a zoo! Imagine hearing the noises made by the animals in the middle of the night.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by beanbear » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm

My DD had a zoo camp last year when she was P4 and it was very engaging for the children but they didn't sleep in tents but in a hall. Teachers integrated learning of science into the camp as well.

This year, DD just attended an adventure camp in the MOE Upper Changi Adventure Camp. Very meaningful as DD learnt about conquering fear during the rock-climbing, learnt about teamwork as they built raft together. WHen I reflected with her after the camp, she was able to say that she will remember the importance conquering fear of different challenges she will encounter during her daily life - if you can conquer your fear once, you can do it again. That was truly inspirational!

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 pm

beanbear wrote:My DD had a zoo camp last year when she was P4 and it was very engaging for the children but they didn't sleep in tents but in a hall. Teachers integrated learning of science into the camp as well.

This year, DD just attended an adventure camp in the MOE Upper Changi Adventure Camp. Very meaningful as DD learnt about conquering fear during the rock-climbing, learnt about teamwork as they built raft together. WHen I reflected with her after the camp, she was able to say that she will remember the importance conquering fear of different challenges she will encounter during her daily life - if you can conquer your fear once, you can do it again. That was truly inspirational!
Thanks for your sharing. The camp your dd attended is really good - not just an ordinary camp but one that teaches your child good attitude towards life. And indeed, it's very inspirational. This year will be my dd's first time camping out. Hope she'll learn the things like your dd learn. :)

teenyweenycow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by teenyweenycow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Just passing by but this topic stood out for me and will definitely be back 'cos my DS1 will be taking PSLE in 2013 too. Thank you all for sharing....

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by happyheart » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 am

I see serious work coming in after CNY. First, DS is taught a fraction of mathematics what is supposed to be taught only next year (p6), I checked with the teacher and her reply is "we have to start early because next year will mainly be for revision"! OMG!
For comprehension OE...I see the marked worksheet DS brought back. Definitely different category from last year...stricter marking, longer passage and indirect questions.

加油!孩子们!

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Verysuperkiasu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm

happyheart wrote:I see serious work coming in after CNY. First, DS is taught a fraction of mathematics what is supposed to be taught only next year (p6), I checked with the teacher and her reply is "we have to start early because next year will mainly be for revision"! OMG!
For comprehension OE...I see the marked worksheet DS brought back. Definitely different category from last year...stricter marking, longer passage and indirect questions.

加油!孩子们!
Yes, by P5, schools set CA/SA/test format close to PSLE style. Infact, I understand some top schools start using PSLE format as early as P4, though content wise is not really P6 yet.

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by happyheart » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 am

The CA1 English result came back yesterday. About half of class failed the 1st test of the year (I have not seen the paper so can't comment much on difficulty level)...but the worst part is not that. DS told me the teacher gave out the paper and called out the failures' name... 'x failed, y failed,z failed'!

Why do some teacher want to crash the confidence of 11 years old? It is not good...not good at all! It is probably one of the school 'strategy' to set tougher paper, fail the kids so as to 'push' them into working harder but seriously, I question the approach and now that manner it is being executed.