The use of correction tape in PSLE

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

The use of correction tape in PSLE

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm

I read in 2012 PSLE thread that it is better not to use correction tape during PSLE because the tape may be "transferred" to the facing page so it reveals the incorrect answer.

Are there any parents here whose children used correction tape in previous PSLE? Do you think it affected your child's result negatively?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: The use of correction tape in PSLE

Postby mummy OnABudget » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 pm

my niece just completed her psle last year she said her teacher advice is no correction tape to be use so i be getting ds to get use to cancel out wrong answers instead.

mummy OnABudget
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 pm

mummy OnABudget wrote:my niece just completed her psle last year she said her teacher advice is no correction tape to be use so i be getting ds to get use to cancel out wrong answers instead.

Yup...do not use correction tape as much as possible...cancel the mistake neatly. The papers are stacked on top of each other before marking...so there is always a risk of tape removed. Also, not using tape encourages the child to be neater. Handwriting is very important and should be clear and legible.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snappleapple » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 am

Don't use correction tape/correction fluid. What I did during my PSLE year, is to use a pencil and a ruler to strike out/draw one line across the wrong answers. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

snappleapple
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 pm

My son refused to give up the correction tape :frustrated: He said without it, his score will be worse. Sigh....

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy so kiasu » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Minimise mistakes & don't use it too often. There is no rule saying correction tape is not allowed. It might peel off, so use it wisely. My boy took PSLE last year & he used it for every paper. Some kids just can't live without correction tape. They will end up panick.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smileplease » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm

how can the child not use correction tape???

Buy a good correction tape that the tape will not come off easily. For boys especially, if i ask my son to cancel his mistake, his work will be very untidy...............

so bottom line is buy a good type of correction tape for your child.

smileplease
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 pm

Train kid to write neatly and legibly...or else risk facing heavy penalty if marker cannot read answer. Minimize use of correction tape.
Use a ruler to strike out neatly.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm

smileplease wrote:how can the child not use correction tape???

Buy a good correction tape that the tape will not come off easily. For boys especially, if i ask my son to cancel his mistake, his work will be very untidy...............

I think he is using a good type of correction tape (he always buy an expensive one while I buy cheaper one for myself :wink: ). I guess we will test/observe whether it will peel off after 1 month.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 pm

smileplease wrote:how can the child not use correction tape???

My family doesn't use correction fluid or tape. My younger daughter took PSLE in 2011 and never used correction tape. It's perfectly possible, and many of us (maybe because we're older) never had these things available in Pr school anyway. I'm not sure why some kids need to be so neat and tidy - as long as the work is legible enough for the marker to see what's going on, cancellations are really not a problem at all. My kids' teachers have never told them that they should use correction tape.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE