Chinese Composition

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Which composition is the hardest to write?

命题
19
79%
完成文章
4
17%
看图作文
1
4%
 
Total votes : 24

Chinese Composition

Postby GDragon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 pm

In PSLE Chinese composition, among the few you can choose from (看图作文, 命题 and 完成文章) which composition will give you the highest marks? As in you most likely have a higher mark compared to the others? I've eliminated 看图作文 already as 命题 and 完成文章 are marked more strictly by teachers as they are more likely to go out of point and thus, the student gets higher marks if they DO NOT go out of point.

GDragon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:30 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby Haneyi » Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 pm

That is highly subjective, different people will prefer different things. Personally, I prefer doing the picture as I will more or less know what to write and do not have to spend time to think of a story line.

Choosing one over another does not guarantee you high marks as a lot depends on you write the composition. Also, one may not score that well even if he/she does not go out of point. I have written many compositions that are 30 or below without going out of point.

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby ngl2010 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Haneyi wrote:That is highly subjective, different people will prefer different things. Personally, I prefer doing the picture as I will more or less know what to write and do not have to spend time to think of a story line.

Choosing one over another does not guarantee you high marks as a lot depends on you write the composition. Also, one may not score that well even if he/she does not go out of point. I have written many compositions that are 30 or below without going out of point.

Haneyi, could you please give tips on how to write compo that is above 30? My son's Chinese compo is always below 30 :faint: He usually does the picture compo.

TIA

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby Haneyi » Sun May 05, 2013 3:51 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Haneyi wrote:That is highly subjective, different people will prefer different things. Personally, I prefer doing the picture as I will more or less know what to write and do not have to spend time to think of a story line.

Choosing one over another does not guarantee you high marks as a lot depends on you write the composition. Also, one may not score that well even if he/she does not go out of point. I have written many compositions that are 30 or below without going out of point.

Haneyi, could you please give tips on how to write compo that is above 30? My son's Chinese compo is always below 30 :faint: He usually does the picture compo.

TIA


Hello,

I'm not really a very good writer, but I hope this helps.

1) Memorize a good starting that you can use for almost any composition.
- While it is not advisable to do this, this help those whose language is not that good to get some marks and also saves time as you do not need to think of a new starting. For most of my compositions, I use a flashback and just change it a little each time to match the story. If your son is not a ' flashback ' person, that is fine, perhaps he prefers starting with one of the 5 senses.

2) When you first the question, think of the story line, how you want to end it, what characters there are, basically just plan it a bit in your head. This will help you to be more clear of what you want / are going to write. I like to think of poetic endings and just bring the story towards it, they close the story nicely by giving it a nice touch.

3) Look at the question if you need help, you should refer to it many times as you write your composition, this will help you to refresh your memory and sometimes it can even give you new ideas along the way.

4) If your son has problem writing words ( I have this problem ), having an electronic dictionary will help immensely. I had the book one and wasted a lot of time looking up words that I did not know how to write. I finally bought an electronic one and I can now write a lot better as last time I kept trying to replace good words I thought of with baby words I can write in order to save time.

5) Don't worry if you cannot remember many good phrases or good words, sticking to simple things is fine. My compositions have simple language with only a bit of good words here and there.

6) Don't rush, if you rush, the composition may end up being very short. The recommended length is 2 pages.

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby vinegar » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 pm

hi haneyi,
may i know which electronic dictionary r u using?

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 am
Total Likes: 2



Re: Chinese Composition

Postby Haneyi » Sun May 05, 2013 6:52 pm

vinegar wrote:hi haneyi,
may i know which electronic dictionary r u using?

HansVision PX 2101 :smile:

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby popireis » Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Haneyi

How do u use the electronic dictionary effectively? I bought my son one, but he finds it difficult to use, cos if u do not know the character of the words, u may end up looking up a wrong word. Whereas the book will show u the whole list of words with the same beginning. But I was told, and heard many, say electronic is better, esp for the idioms. Please share some tips. TIA!

popireis
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm
Total Likes: 15


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby vinegar » Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 am

Haneyi wrote:
vinegar wrote:hi haneyi,
may i know which electronic dictionary r u using?

HansVision PX 2101 :smile:


:thankyou: buy from Popular?

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby ngl2010 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 am

Haneyi wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:
Haneyi wrote:That is highly subjective, different people will prefer different things. Personally, I prefer doing the picture as I will more or less know what to write and do not have to spend time to think of a story line.

Choosing one over another does not guarantee you high marks as a lot depends on you write the composition. Also, one may not score that well even if he/she does not go out of point. I have written many compositions that are 30 or below without going out of point.

Haneyi, could you please give tips on how to write compo that is above 30? My son's Chinese compo is always below 30 :faint: He usually does the picture compo.

TIA

Hello,

I'm not really a very good writer, but I hope this helps.

1) Memorize a good starting that you can use for almost any composition.
- While it is not advisable to do this, this help those whose language is not that good to get some marks and also saves time as you do not need to think of a new starting. For most of my compositions, I use a flashback and just change it a little each time to match the story. If your son is not a ' flashback ' person, that is fine, perhaps he prefers starting with one of the 5 senses.

2) When you first the question, think of the story line, how you want to end it, what characters there are, basically just plan it a bit in your head. This will help you to be more clear of what you want / are going to write. I like to think of poetic endings and just bring the story towards it, they close the story nicely by giving it a nice touch.

3) Look at the question if you need help, you should refer to it many times as you write your composition, this will help you to refresh your memory and sometimes it can even give you new ideas along the way.

4) If your son has problem writing words ( I have this problem ), having an electronic dictionary will help immensely. I had the book one and wasted a lot of time looking up words that I did not know how to write. I finally bought an electronic one and I can now write a lot better as last time I kept trying to replace good words I thought of with baby words I can write in order to save time.

5) Don't worry if you cannot remember many good phrases or good words, sticking to simple things is fine. My compositions have simple language with only a bit of good words here and there.

6) Don't rush, if you rush, the composition may end up being very short. The recommended length is 2 pages.

Thank you, Haneyi.
:thankyou:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Chinese Composition

Postby Haneyi » Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 pm

popireis wrote:Hi Haneyi

How do u use the electronic dictionary effectively? I bought my son one, but he finds it difficult to use, cos if u do not know the character of the words, u may end up looking up a wrong word. Whereas the book will show u the whole list of words with the same beginning. But I was told, and heard many, say electronic is better, esp for the idioms. Please share some tips. TIA!


Yes, an electronic dictionary is better than a book dictionary, it is faster to press the buttons than to flip. Well, I do end up looking up a wrong word sometimes, but I try to avoid that by pressing the word another time to check that it is the correct word I want ( they will show the meaning and also some phrases that begin with it ).

It takes some time to get used to it, I am still quite slow at using the dictionary as I sometimes press the wrong button to navigate and the buttons are rather hard. However, it is still a lot faster than flipping pages. Also, since I use the computer a lot personally, I already memorized the QWERTY keyboard, so I can key in the HYPY with ease. Though of course, it is not a must to memorize the keyboard and once your son uses it more and more, he will find himself getting used to it.

Yes, for idioms and phrases, it is better. You can just type the first 4 letters of the idiom and it will show up. (:

e.g. xxyy, yhys, bgsy, bkjy, wykj, awjw etc.
Last edited by Haneyi on Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE