PSLE English oral

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: PSLE English oral

Postby ngl2010 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 am

bunhead wrote:Does anyone have any contacts for PSLE oral preparation? I feel this is very important but dont see anyone talking about the English oral exam. I spoke to an MOE officer who told me that the English oral is allocated 30 marks!! I think this may be a quick way to up my daughter's English grade.... am I barking up the wrong tree??? :sweat:

Maybe we are busy with SA1 and oral SA1 is over so we are not too concerned with it? Or, in my son's case, he is doing ok with English Oral so I am not worried about it. However, he is doing quite badly in Continuous Writing (40 marks) and I think quite a few parents are concerned about compo too so we talk about it. Situational Writing (15 marks) is manageable so it is Continuous Writing the one I am scared about. Altogether the writing component is 55 marks. How's your daughter's Continuous Writing?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:18 am

bunhead wrote:she has a tutor for the english papers and i think her continuous writing is ok and being addressed... its just that i work with so many smart people that cant speak properly to save their lives! Plus i heard that MOE is placing more emphasis on the spoken component ... hence my anxiety.

For English, it is not that bad. It should be quite easy to get a decent mark in English Oral. However, Chinese Oral is difficult for potato children. Only 2 weeks ago I realized that Chinese Oral is 50 marks!!! And my son is doing badly on that :faint:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bunbun » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Be The Voice wrote:Thanks Bunhead.

Parents, please don't wait too long as the PSLE Oral is on 15 & 16 Aug. Not much time to work with your dear children to improve the way they speak. The oral examination is the easiest 30 marks you can get for English. It's best to make sure that you children have the best advantage to getting a good score. Over and above that, speaking well is a life skill.

Best of luck everyone!

Hi Be The Voice,

Do you have workshops for kids who will be taking the new english oral format for 2015 psle?

Thanks!

Bunbun
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bunbun » Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Be The Voice wrote:
Bunbun wrote:
Be The Voice wrote:

Hi Be The Voice,

Do you have workshops for kids who will be taking the new english oral format for 2015 psle?

Thanks!

Thanks for your interest Bunbun. We are currently working on it but for now, we are concentrating on the upcoming PSLE Oral Examinations in Aug as this is of immediate concern. Will keep everyone posted on the new English Oral Format once it is all worked out.

Thank you Be The Voice.

Bunbun
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby popireis » Tue May 07, 2013 2:03 pm

What would u consider to be a decent mark for EL Oral? What will be good, excellent?

popireis
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 pm

popireis wrote:What would u consider to be a decent mark for EL Oral? What will be good, excellent?

You can ask your son's teachers. For each subject, they would already have set a goal for your son. Your son should already knew it. The teachers have even broken down the goals for Paper 1, Paper 2, Booklet A and Booklet B. Even by sections in the paper.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

bunhead wrote:i dont really understand the qn.... would you be happy with just a pass or fail? In my opinion, although i am concerned about PSLE, i think the oral prep could also be a life skill.... just my opinion

I am thinking of sending my son to Dale Carnegie training for people skills. Interested?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby popireis » Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

bunhead wrote:i dont really understand the qn.... would you be happy with just a pass or fail? In my opinion, although i am concerned about PSLE, i think the oral prep could also be a life skill.... just my opinion

What I mean is, out of 30 marks, is 20 marks considered decent or lousy?
Or only marks above 25 is decent? Dun think we know what is the school/national mean for Oral, so we do not know if our DC is performing "up to the standard".

Of course we all know that oral is a life skill, but not everyone has the gift of the gap, or can get full marks (that would be ideal!). So just trying to get a sense of it.

popireis
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 pm

popireis wrote:What would u consider to be a decent mark for EL Oral? What will be good, excellent?

The individual schools will have the rubrics to this, if I'm not mistaken.

There is a score range from good, much better to excellent. Even if there isn't a score, i believe there might be remarks on which component to improve.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrschia » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am

Bunhead, I totally understand what you meant, it helps to do well for passing PSLE English Oral but more importantly speaking well is an important life skills! My son went through a P6 English Oral course, he is more confident and prepared for the upcoming P6 Oral Exams. In fact he is now more comfortable speaking in public. I am glad the money is well spend!

Mrschia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE