Last minute tips for PSLE Oral

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Last minute tips for PSLE Oral

Postby My Tuition Haven » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

Hi everyone. Just some last minute tips for the PSLE oral on the 15th. For pupils who find it a little challenging, remember to divide your Picture mentally in the Picture Discussion component into Introduction, Different Points and Conclusion. Please practice this at home during the next few days. Follow the rule of 1) Description 2) Opinion 3) Prediction when thinking of what to say for each point.

For those who are strong in the oral component do not forget to add on
1) Adverbs 2) Discuss any social issues the picture may be about (e.g. Old Folks Home, Giving up your seat on the bus etc.)

This is one of the many examples that I have worked on with my students. The picture is taken from the PSLE booket in the Specimen Paper section. I will put up others on my blog during the next few days http://www.thinking-factory.com/ with scanned pictures & also touch on the Conversation Section.

PSLE booklet Specimen Paper
Picture Discussion

Introduction

This picture depicts a scene of a lively Talent Night. It is being held at the Rainbow Community Club. I think this is the night for everyone to show off their respective talents, whether it is singing, dancing or playing a musical instrument. (description & personal opinion)

The hall in the Community Club is decorated with balloons and banners. The hall is also filled with chairs for the audience to sit and watch the performances lined up. I think the decorations enhance the mood of the Talent Night. (description & personal opinion)

Point 1
There is a group performing right now on stage. They are dressed in checkered pants, shirts and boots. The boys are wearing berets and blowing their trumpets while the girls are carrying pom poms and dancing around. They seem to be having a good time performing. (description & personal opinion)

However, one of the performers has accidentally dropped his trumpet. It will probably make a loud sound as it hits the stage. The performer looks shocked. This will distract his other group members and they may forget their dance steps. I think that the performer will either stop performing because he is embarrassed or pick up the trumpet and continue as if nothing has happened. (description, opinion & prediction).

Point 2
The audience has seen what has happened on stage. A man in a striped shirt is standing up. His arm is outstretched and he looks concerned. I think that he is the father of the performer who has dropped his trumpet. He is probably telling his son not to worry and encouraging him to pick up his trumpet and continue with the performance. I think that is the right thing to do. (description, opinion & prediction)

Point 3
Everyone in the audience seems surprised at what has happened on stage. Some of the people in audience have their mouths opened in disbelief. One of the children seated in the front is pointing his finger to the stage and telling something to the girl sitting beside him. I do not think he should be doing that as it may distract the performers and cause them to become embarrassed and lose confidence. We should encourage performers when they are on stage as it can be nerve-wrecking to perform in front of many people. (description & opinion)

Conclusion
All in all/In conclusion, performing on stage can be exciting as well as frightening. We should always practice hard before a performance but at the same time, be prepared for the unexpected.

Good Luck to everyone!

My Tuition Haven
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Last minute tips for PSLE Oral

Postby peter2001 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for feedback...Just a basic question..Can we identify each segments & mention as left side bottom corner, Top right corner etc in the picture.? I heared that not supposed to say like that..

peter2001
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby My Tuition Haven » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Please do not use 'directions'. Link up the points using descriptive words as if you are telling a story that is happening now. Use 'the boy in the striped shirt is..' or 'there is..' instead of 'on the right hand side' etc.
I forgot to add a point, do not use the Past tense in Picture Discussion. Use the Present Tense/Present Continuous/Present Perfect. Pls take note of how I have used the tenses.
I have put another Oral Practice on my blog and will post on Conversation tomorrow. I will try to post on this thread as well.
Thanks!

My Tuition Haven
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peter2001 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 pm

My Tuition Haven wrote:Please do not use 'directions'. Link up the points using descriptive words as if you are telling a story that is happening now. Use 'the boy in the striped shirt is..' or 'there is..' instead of 'on the right hand side' etc.
I forgot to add a point, do not use the Past tense in Picture Discussion. Use the Present Tense/Present Continuous/Present Perfect. Pls take note of how I have used the tenses.
I have put another Oral Practice on my blog and will post on Conversation tomorrow. I will try to post on this thread as well.
Thanks!

Hi..Thanks a lot for your help..

peter2001
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE