Better and Fairer Scheduling for PSLE 2013 Oral Exams?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Better and Fairer Scheduling for PSLE 2013 Oral Exams?

Postby PoohBearPlusHelloKitty » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:07 pm

My child is under S1 grouping in this year 2013 PSLE oral exams :mad: :mad: :mad: which means my poor child will be "LOCKED IN" FOR 3 HOURS while the S2 students still having a good sleep. It's really unfair :cry:

In many years, MOE has been doing during PSLE oral exams "LOCKED IN" students for 3 hours :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: why kiasu parents no one bring this topic to discuss and find a way to stop MOE for doing these.....anyway it's too late for my poor child :sad:

http://www.tnp.sg/forum/better-and-fair ... oral-exams
Better and Fairer Scheduling for PSLE Oral Exams?
Submitted by Concerned citizen on July 28, 2012 - 1:50am
Was given a letter to inform us of our son's forthcoming PSLE oral exams on 16 and 17 Aug12. Felt that the scheduling gives rise to unfavourable conditions for 1 group of students :

Session 1 (S1) students

- Report to school at 7 am

- Once completed, proceed to canteen to wait for dismissal

- Dismiss together at 10.15 am

Session 2 (S2) students

- Report to school at 9.30 am

- Once completed, can be dismissed

Was quite shocked to learn from the form teacher that this has been the practice for many years. And no one has feedback that this does not ensure that all are tested under the same conditions?

Firstly, S1 students need to get up at 6 am to get ready while S2 students can sleep all the way to 8 or even 8.30 am?

Definitely more energised with more sleep! And better focus!

And then S1 students have to be "locked in" for 3 hours instead of being released to go home and prepare for the next day's exam.

The teacher told me that this arrangement is from MOE. Can someone there please look into this to give all students a level playing field? Even if this does not change the forthcoming exam, let it be heard that this arrangement is not fair and hopefully help other children in future.

Sure there can be an arrangement to subject all students to the same conditions, right? Instead of just telling the parents "someone has to be in the morning session, right?". Even the Science syllabus always pose this exam question - "Why did the teacher said that her experiment was not a fair one?" Answer - because there is more than 1 variable - a fair experiment should have only 1 known variable - and in this case, the student's ability. There should not be other variables such as different number of hours of sleep and rest that will affect a student's ability.

PoohBearPlusHelloKitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Better and Fairer Scheduling for PSLE 2013 Oral Exams?

Postby lexis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 pm

my kid is also s1 for both - dont think it's unfair. Perhaps there are some in s2 who think it's unfair since s1 get to go back earlier to prepare for the next day?
Perhaps some also think it's unfair that they take CL first when it's their weaker subject? As with all things, just be well prepared. Sleep early if you are in s1. any last minute chionging is not going to help anyway.

Good luck to your dc! :)

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:28 pm

My son is in S2 for both days. I wish he is in S1 because by S2 the examiners are already tired listening to the same things again and again and again. Some more, based on the Prelim Oral, my son will be the last in his group. So, he has to wait for 3 hours before his turn. That is the worst turn.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:54 am

Why all these years, we have to go by ascending order of name? I should hv given my children a Christian name that goes by B as the first letter :rotflmao:

Seriously, when is life fair?

In my children's pri sch, orals are conducted after school hours in the afternoon. Pupils going home by sch buses are in priority q vs pupils going home via parents' pickup or public bus.

My children surname is Wong.

Can u imagine, staying in school from 7am till 4pm? During the SA1 oral, my boy reached home at 5pm (and we live just a little outside 1km from the school). Is this fair? Would my feedback to school change anything?

Did this unfair timing affect my child's performance in his Orals?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 am

While I did grumble initially when I saw the team schedule form.. Like :yikes:! 3 hrs wait for a 10min exam? :skeptical: .... DD said, "It's ok mom. Teacher said we could bring our books or guides to read and one of the Math teachers said he will be with us post exam during the wait. He asked to bring our Math booklet. Besides, it's good to be early. Less rushing. Less nervous. Less stress."

So, all's good there. Yup, nothing's fair in this world issit? If we expect fairness, we'd be sorely disappointed me thinks.

DD is in S1 today and S2 tomorrow. :wink:

All is good.

We will be going out for a nice lunch later.
She doesn't know yet.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 am

buds wrote:DD is in S1 today and S2 tomorrow. :wink:

Mine too.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1111 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

Mine both day also S1. At first I also feel why not section 2, can sleep later. :p Now seeing what other reply. I feel S1 is good. LOL!!

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Sanctuary Hut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 am

i don't mind at all whichever sessions. There are always pros and cons for everything. Everything happens for a reason and i take it for the good. but however positive i am i still had a nervous breakdown earlier... i hope my son is doing ok , he is in S1 today

Sanctuary Hut
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby justcoping » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am

Both S1 and S2 have their fair share of advantages and disadvantages. Let's look at the positive side of each and it'll make our life a happier one. I kept reminding myself that this is only one of the many 'examinations' that my child will be taking throughout her life. I'd rather work towards making this a pleasant one for my child and me (regardless the results). In reality, there's no such a thing as a perfect examination, a perfect job, a perfect spouse etc... our children have learn to make the best of every situation (adopting a positive outlook despite tough or difficult situations).

Buds: I'm also heading for a nice lunch with my child after the exams :)

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

2 people like this post

Postby schweppes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 am

Jennifer wrote:Why all these years, we have to go by ascending order of name? I should hv given my children a Christian name that goes by B as the first letter :rotflmao:

My surname falls towards the tail end of the alphabet. So, during those school years, that means a l-o-n-g wait for me during orals and anything else which requires sorting by alpha order. Told myself that must marry a Ang or Aw when I grow up. Did't happen tho. :rotflmao:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE