MEAN PSLE t-Score 2013 and earlier

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

MEAN PSLE t-Score 2013 and earlier

Postby notprefect » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know where to find info on the National Mean T-Score from 2010-2013?

Do advise your school's mean T-score as well if possible. Cheers!

notprefect
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: MEAN PSLE t-Score 2013 and earlier

Postby Vin8 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 pm

MOE doesn't want us to compare results anymore.
Minister says "Every school is a good school"

Vin8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby zbear » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 am

Vin8 wrote:MOE doesn't want us to compare results anymore.

But alot of parents want to know which school is "gooder" since every school is a good school.

:wink:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GiftedGem » Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 am

zbear wrote:
Vin8 wrote:MOE doesn't want us to compare results anymore.

But alot of parents want to know which school is "gooder" since every school is a good school.

:wink:

Agree totally. 'Gooder' schools are highly sought after...

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 23, 2014 9:32 am

GiftedGem wrote:Agree totally. 'Gooder' schools are highly sought after...

I believe this has been said many times, but it bears repeating. Schools are only 'good' when they enhance a child's learning by teaching and stimulating at the right pace and intensity for that child. Since kids cover a wide spectrum of learning abilities, and a single school is unlikely to be able to cater for the full range of abilities, schools will differ. I don't think we should conclude that schools that cater to weaker students are not 'good'. I have chosen to place one of my girls in a school that caters for the weak even though she qualified for a 'better' school, and another in a school that caters for the strong. I find that both schools are 'good' for their targeted students.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GiftedGem » Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 am

slmkhoo wrote:
I believe this has been said many times, but it bears repeating. Schools are only 'good' when they enhance a child's learning by teaching and stimulating at the right pace and intensity for that child. Since kids cover a wide spectrum of learning abilities, and a single school is unlikely to be able to cater for the full range of abilities, schools will differ. I don't think we should conclude that schools that cater to weaker students are not 'good'. I have chosen to place one of my girls in a school that caters for the weak even though she qualified for a 'better' school, and another in a school that caters for the strong. I find that both schools are 'good' for their targeted students.

The qn is how can one determine that every sch is a good sch here?

There are many a times whereby we see students in uniforms going Orchard shopping / watching movies instead of heading back home after sch to study ( esp approaching exam period). The peer influencing factor plays a role and parents would want to ensure that their kids are in the right company.

Importantly, as parents, we want to cultivate good character building and let our kids enjoy the wisdom of learning journey as they grow. Thus, the 'gooder' schools will likely to have more impact in having our kids' peers instilling positive influence, be it academically or behavioral. That is my two cents worth.

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Peer pressure is something that will always be around. The 'gooder' schools may have fewer kids hanging around shopping centres, but there are negative influences of different kinds - over-spending, over-competitiveness, selfishness, being calculative about effort etc. I don't think we can escape negative peer influences, so we have to work in the home at making our kids strong and independent-minded. As I said, my daughters are in schools on opposite ends of the achievement spectrum, and I would hesitate to generalise about how 'good' or 'bad' the influences are in either school. What I like is that there is more handholding in the 'less-good' school and more push and independence required in the 'good' school, which is right for each of my girls.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spicyblackpepper » Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Aside from newly built ITEs, many 'gooder' secondary schools have better more beautiful facilities ;)

spicyblackpepper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 23, 2014 1:54 pm

spicyblackpepper wrote:Aside from newly built ITEs, many 'gooder' secondary schools have better more beautiful facilities ;)

Again, I think my daughter in the 'less-good' school has nicer facilities! The other school is older and more cramped. Anyway, both my girls had their earlier education in much worse conditions, so I guess we don't really care. It really doesn't matter that much, in our opinion.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spicyblackpepper » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

For secondary schools allocation, CCA/sports/leadership talents and strong academics get to go 'gooder' schools, other kids go 'good' schools. There is not way to undercut the system (besides going International schools / migrate)

spicyblackpepper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE