Our Experience with PSLE and Suggestion for PSLE Preparation

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
SpartanMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:66

Re: Our Experience with PSLE and Suggestion for PSLE Prepara

Post by SpartanMum » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:psle is an introduction of what a REAL exam is.
all these years, they are sitting for school exams...but psle is the exam taken by p6s from all the primary schools in Singapore. education is a long journey, and this exam shouldn't be viewed as the end of the world even if kid didn't perform well this time. even fruits on the tree do not ripen at the same time.

good luck to all the kids and parents. it's January...go easy and don't burn out the child. premature intensive pushing will go to waste if the brain is burnt out.

More like me burning out trying not to burn him out!!!!
But seriously, I am not pushing DS at all...I told him to take it just like any other year...only that the work is harder and he got to put in a bit more effort to master it.

I dunno about the rest but my DS seems to suddenly be in PSLE mode. It's like a button has been switched on and he knows that he's got to buck up. Obviously this does not necessarily translate to stellar marks ...he may be missing the point on quality vs quantity. :shrug:

thepiquelab
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by thepiquelab » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:48 pm

I believe that starting early is the key. You might want to monitor your child's progress and in any case you decide he/she needs help, get help EARLY. Ive seen too many last minute panickers and their child really suffers from the sudden increase in tuition/school work load.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 am

now that HE has an idea what psle is, preparing for o levels would be something like that...10 years series...once bitten twice shy.

knowing where the boundary not to push beyond is the toughest...not too much but yet push a little so as not to have any regrets...that's the grey area. how much is enough?

teachers are still rushing to complete the syllabus and will speed up after cny weekend. brave yourself for teachers to go full speed. psle is also the period when haze is at its worst...hopefully will not be so bad this year.

SpartanMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:66

Post by SpartanMum » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am

janet_lee88 wrote:now that HE has an idea what psle is, preparing for o levels would be something like that...10 years series...once bitten twice shy.

knowing where the boundary not to push beyond is the toughest...not too much but yet push a little so as not to have any regrets...that's the grey area. how much is enough?

teachers are still rushing to complete the syllabus and will speed up after cny weekend. brave yourself for teachers to go full speed. psle is also the period when haze is at its worst...hopefully will not be so bad this year.

Exactly !!!!

:goodpost:

weilingohwl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by weilingohwl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Dear Parents,

I'm a mother of 3. My eldest went through PSLE last yr, and got in NA course, but my child is really determine to do well this yr so as to promote to express course next yr.

Now, I'm going to go through another round of PSLE again!

More experience now, and also found a good tutor to help :)

All the best everyone!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:36 pm

weilingohwl wrote:More experience now, and also found a good tutor to help :)

All the best everyone!

having gone through the psle experience...it helps a lot because we know how to help kids prepare.

weilingohwl, many things can happen during the psle exam...no matter how prepared the child is...so I am sure your child will be inspired to work hard to get into the express course. all the best.

weilingohwl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by weilingohwl » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks Janet_lee88! My eldest didn't pass any maths exam
since P5, so we get our eldest a maths tutor in P6 (from kiasuparents forum actually! Haha!), and very fortunately, eldest got a B for PSLE Maths. It's a great morale booster! Now eldest is continuing maths class with mrtanclass, hopefully eldest can do promote to express...

Sometime I really think its my fault didn't help eldest earlier.

So now pay more attention to the second one's PSLE.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 am

weilingohwl wrote:since P5, so we get our eldest a maths tutor in P6 (from kiasuparents forum actually! Haha!), and very fortunately, eldest got a B for PSLE Maths. It's a great morale booster! Now eldest is continuing maths class with mrtanclass, hopefully eldest can do promote to express...

Sometime I really think its my fault didn't help eldest earlier.

So now pay more attention to the second one's PSLE.
my son got a B for his PSLE math too...I consider it an achievement when he was failing his math in p5.

if we had decided to work on getting a tutor when son was in p4, he would have had a better foundation...not too late, since his math is much better now (in sec 2 this year) and he has an interest in it.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 am

janet_lee88 wrote:my son got a B for his PSLE math too...I consider it an achievement when he was failing his math in p5.

if we had decided to work on getting a tutor when son was in p4, he would have had a better foundation...not too late, since his math is much better now (in sec 2 this year) and he has an interest in it.

If its of any consolation - my ds tells me Sec School Maths is definitely much easier than PSLE maths.

My ds is also weak in Primary School Maths, he can never understand those long questions - is it Sec C? I was also concerned that he will be struggling in Sec School Maths becos of weak foundation. But surprisingly, he is coping well with Maths now.

weilingohwl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by weilingohwl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 am

Our maths tutor explains that although it looks different, but primary school maths is actually the foundation of secondary maths. Of course, pri maths (especially the section C) focus more on heuristic problem solving. It will be good if students can see the link between primary and secondary syllabus, more advantageous, as you will tap on your pri maths foundation.

Of course viewing pri and sec maths as different will be good in another perspective too, at least it's a fresh start for them! Good to hear that our kids are coping well with sec maths! :)