Thanks for sharing thats great info

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Our Experience with PSLE and Suggestion for PSLE Prepara

Post by Love4learning » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 am

Thanks for sharing!

A few qns I world love to find out from u experienced parents.how do u gauge your child' ability when preparing them for PSLE. If I let my DC do top schs papers, can I use those results to gauge what his score is roughly gg to be like for PSLE ? Are these papers similar to PSLE or PSLE is tougher? Heard that last yr's paper were 'easy' n many kids I know of got scores much lower than their expectations! How easy were those papers really? Sch principal had a talk with parents n mentioned tat they expecting the same kind of papers this yr! Tat worries me a lot now! :nailbite: any advise on this?

Thanks !

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by newuser » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 am

Joining the thread to get more advice. Thanks .

Stressedupmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Stressedupmom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Love4learning wrote:Thanks for sharing!

A few qns I world love to find out from u experienced parents.how do u gauge your child' ability when preparing them for PSLE. If I let my DC do top schs papers, can I use those results to gauge what his score is roughly gg to be like for PSLE ? Are these papers similar to PSLE or PSLE is tougher? Heard that last yr's paper were 'easy' n many kids I know of got scores much lower than their expectations! How easy were those papers really? Sch principal had a talk with parents n mentioned tat they expecting the same kind of papers this yr! Tat worries me a lot now! :nailbite: any advise on this?

Thanks !
Too easy a paper is not good. It will be testing who is less careless.
Perhaps last year's paper looks easy but it's actually not that easy? How else to explain that not a whole lot of students got A stars as you rightly pointed out.

GreenA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by GreenA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Love4learning wrote:Thanks for sharing!

Thanks !
1. Top school's papers are more difficult than prelim paper and PSLE.

2. For math and science, you can have some estimation of how good your child is doing. But for language subjects, it is not very clear. There are components such as oral and composition that are not easy to estimate.

3. It is helpful to refer to the PSLE booklet. Those are the actually questions that appear on PSLE paper. The booklets tell you how difficult the acutual PSLE paper will be. I find that PSLE questions are simpler and clearer than many top school papers for all subjects.

4. It will be fairly clear of how well a child does after the prelim. Last year, DD scored 345 at prelim (neighbourhood school), and 258 at PSLE. Conversion rate is 0.75. A top boy pupil of her school scored 370 at prelim and 269 at PSLE. For him, conversion rate is 0.727.

5. It is only March now. A lot of time ahead for preparation. Use the top school papers to expose child's weakness and work on it. He will improve over the time. For our case, we find DD's weakness even after prelim and she improved during the short period before PSLE.

Taking exam is a skill. Children will improve with trainning and correction.

SpartanMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:66

Post by SpartanMum » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks GreenA...there is such a nice tone of sincerity and reassurance in your entries...thanks thanks !

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Love4learning » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks GreenA.

I understand that languages includes compo which is a killer for my boy n oral which is pretty much difficult to estimate, at least I know tat DC is doing pretty ok with top Sch papers for for all subjects and tat shd get him more or less on the right track on terms of the knowledge part. His biggest weakness is CARELESSNESS!!! :cry:

Told him tat his carelessness will sure kill his results for sure! :sweat:

Love4learning
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Love4learning » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Too easy a paper is not good. It will be testing who is less careless.
Perhaps last year's paper looks easy but it's actually not that easy? How else to explain that not a whole lot of students got A stars as you rightly pointed out.[/quote]

The principal of DC's Sch is the one who pointed out to us tat the paper was way easier than expected. some kids r confused cos they doubt abt the qns as they do the paper. She also stress tat this is not good as any carelessness fr there will send the marks straight down..

It all depends on the child's performance on the spot too I guess, some r calm n careful with checking while some might have ability in solving tougher qns but careless.