chloecube
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re: Our Experience with PSLE and Suggestion for PSLE Prepara

Post by chloecube » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm

beanbear wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:My advice: Don't make PSLE a big deal until the child is scared about it. They can't do well if their mind is not in peace. Tell him/her that it is just like CA or SA. Don't scare them.
It really depends on which part of the bell your kid belongs to. For those destined to go IP + those at the fringe, it's really a matter of 'how well'.

For the remaining 80% or so, it'll never be such a thing as 'too early' coz uually they need to do a lot of catching up on P4/5 work.
I agree. I knew of friends' kids who are in the top 10 percent of their school, have consistently done well from Pri 1 - 5 and even though they would probably breeze through the PSLE, still went to intensive tuition and studying as if to "buy insurance" for their child's performance, to give themselves more options for school choices.

On the other hand, you have kids who are really struggling at the bottom 10-20% , and I've met parents who truly are struggling how to help their kids even pass their exam or "fail less badly".

Then there is those kids who are in the average range and foundation still quite weak and are highly pressured to do very well even though they may not up to the challenge of getting that A. They are more like B students but are pressured by family and school to go beyond their capability. It's like asking someone who is already struggling to run 1.6km to run a marathon in 6months. Not that it's not possible but it can be to a great cost.

While we learn from each other's lessons here, I do feel we first must understand our own child's strengths & limitations. Sometimes, it may also be painful for us parents to admit that our child is "average" or "bottom" of the bell curve. Some kids will take time to blossom and they may not shine at PSLE but perhaps much later in life. But if we push them over their limits at PSLE, they may burn out, get traumatised, demoralized, worsen parent-child relationship, etc.
:goodpost:
i can relate to that totally, and no, my child do not belong to the top 10% but rather the bottom ones.
he has been struggling to pass for all this subjects. his results were botherline, either passed by a few marks or failed badly
he is not a lazy boy, but i would say he lack focus and interest.
one need to be interested to improve. he is just going through the motion when homeworks are given to him. not bother to ask when in doubts.
when he did badly, school make him stay back for more supplementary classes and this will eat into his resting, leisure and other tution hw time. it pains me to see him like that.
sometime i feel like i am really at a loss. but ultimately, i told myself that DS happiness is more important than the PSLE, i do not want to overstress or tramatise him.
i really whatever effort he made, he will not have any regrets in future.

it really pain me to see him like that

Mommybel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Mommybel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi chloecube,

Has your child shown improvement for his subjects? My eldest scored 55 for maths sa1 when she was in p6, but within 4 months of hard work and good guidance, she managed to get an A* for psle in year 2012. So it's not impossible if he keeps pushing on for his subjects.

chloecube
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by chloecube » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 am

mommybel! u not kidding me arent u?
i suddenly am full of hope again reading ur post :)

DS math is between 50-60, one a few occasion fail by 1-2 marks
his paper 2 failed and pull down the overall marks
he wout say he is lazy, he trys his best to complete all hw given by teacher and tutor. problem is he does not speak up or ask when he does not understand. he will just do the correction and then forget how to do again when the same kind of questions was given to him. so its kind of frustrating
when i explained to him, he understand but after a while, he forgets again,
got to repeat and re-inforce the same kind of sum many times before it gets to his head.
nevertheless, i am not going to give up on hin now
but its not easy to strike a balance of "overloading" him and letting him enjoy his childhood

AdvancedAcademia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by AdvancedAcademia » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:04 pm

chloecube wrote:mommybel! u not kidding me arent u?

he wout say he is lazy, he trys his best to complete all hw given by teacher and tutor. problem is he does not speak up or ask when he does not understand. he will just do the correction and then forget how to do again when the same kind of questions was given to him. so its kind of frustrating
got to repeat and re-inforce the same kind of sum many times before it gets to his head.
but its not easy to strike a balance of "overloading" him and letting him enjoy his childhood
Just to share some experiences. Some pupils have difficulty retaining what was taught because they treat the specific process, data, information as "discrete data". The more discrete information is, the less likely it will be retained in their memory.

One way to help anchor lessons taught is to created as many connections to examples, real-world applications, other concepts, etc... as possible. The more connections the child can make, the more likely he/she will be able to remember. Sometimes we are so focused on the child getting the answer "right", that we forget to provide the needed connections that help them anchor their learning in long term memory.

Hope this helps...

STCY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by STCY » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:16 am

Hi
Can i check what is the topic for 2013 English and Chinese oral?
I am trying to find online but don't seem to find anything.

And what is the topic for 2013 English and Chinese compo as well?

Xeraph
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Xeraph » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 pm

AdvancedAcademia wrote:
chloecube wrote:mommybel! u not kidding me arent u?

Just to share some experiences. Some pupils have difficulty retaining what was taught because they treat the specific process, data, information as "discrete data". The more discrete information is, the less likely it will be retained in their memory.

One way to help anchor lessons taught is to created as many connections to examples, real-world applications, other concepts, etc... as possible. The more connections the child can make, the more likely he/she will be able to remember. Sometimes we are so focused on the child getting the answer "right", that we forget to provide the needed connections that help them anchor their learning in long term memory.

Hope this helps...
Hi there!
When I was preparing for the PSLE I remembered I studied by reading all the keyphrases aloud to myself for Science, doing/going thru compre for English, reading the textbook/guidebook for Chinese and for Math, doing sum after sum. For math there really is no escape. You just have to drill it until you're familiar. My PSLE score was 272 (a bit of a disappointment for me), because I was pretty sure I made careless mistakes for math.

You are right that you have to link the concepts to real life examples. However to me math is not just about concepts. It's the process;the way of doing a question that matters. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

littleprince
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by littleprince » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Following this thread for advice. Thanks to all who posted advices for the rest of us here :wink:

anonymousguru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by anonymousguru » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:48 pm

chloecube wrote:
> mommybel! u not kidding me arent u?
> i suddenly am full of hope again reading ur post :)
>
> DS math is between 50-60, one a few occasion fail by 1-2 marks
> his paper 2 failed and pull down the overall marks
> he wout say he is lazy, he trys his best to complete all hw given by teacher and
> tutor. problem is he does not speak up or ask when he does not understand. he will
> just do the correction and then forget how to do again when the same kind of questions
> was given to him. so its kind of frustrating
> when i explained to him, he understand but after a while, he forgets again,
> got to repeat and re-inforce the same kind of sum many times before it gets to his
> head.
> nevertheless, i am not going to give up on hin now
> but its not easy to strike a balance of "overloading" him and letting him enjoy his
> childhood

Hi chloecube! I took the PSLE 2 years ago and I cam empathise with your frustration. Its like your child is doing great at home or in tuition, but during the exam performs not to your expectations. Your son's results are somewhat similar to mine. My results for prelim were:

Chinese- C (borderline pass)
Science- C (also borderline pass)
Math- U
English- A (high A- 89/100)

I have no idea what contributed to the odd fluctuation in subject scores, but I always could write well and had a natural affinity for English. My math and Chinese tuition teachers were not working for me and this was 1 and a half months before the PSLE.

My mum's strategy was to firstly get rid of my tuition teachers. She got through with them quickly, and started to immediately coach me. I dumped my English one side and practised on it less (not advisable in your case). For math, the strategy is that you must score close if not full marks on the MCQ and first short answer part. Its much easier to score better in this part than in the problem sum section, and if I remember correctly they had close to equal weightages. If you could lets say get 40 or 35% on the first part (its max mark is 40%), you only need to just pass or get a little more than that, say 30-40% out of the 60% (max mark for problem sum section) to get an A or high A.

The MCQs and the short answer question are the parts where you cannot afford mistakes or blank out. (Focus about 60% of your math effort on this). If you get full marks on this section, you have already passed your math paper (50%). However, you should also not neglect your problem sum part, as they hold an equal weightage (another 50%) as well. In the math paper, there are 13 problem sums/ long answer questions. Revise on the basics over and over, especially fractions, decimals, percentages, etc. Examiners absolutely love mixing these subjects up. Also, learn to spot the trick questions. These questions look very easy but typically have about 4 to 5 marks on them. At the end of the paper, there will be more 4 to 5 mark questions, and if you can get all of those right, you have already passed your problem sum section.

For Science, my mum also used the same strategy. The MCQ is 60% for science, and if you practise enough and in depth, you can get a 50-60% for your MCQ and you would have also already passed the paper. In these PSLE subjects in general, if you look closely in any P6 exam paper, there will always be recurring themes, such as fractions, percentages, geometry in Math, life cycles, the water cycle and the conduction, condensation, evaporation etc. in Science. There's nothing new they can test you! Afterwards, you just need to pass your second paper to get an A or potentially A*.

For these two subjects, practise, practise, practise! Practise till your child can understand and recall all these facts and recognise the questions, and thus know the standard protocol to answer them. After 10s of times doing the same type of questions during different times, I'm sure he can understand. Revising it in different times can really help the brain recall the protocol to answer these questions. (A good math book would be +hinking math @onSponge- Conquer Problem Sums. Their questions tend to be a bit on the difficult side, so I suggest you do them with your child. They focus on the strategy to tackle different types of problem sums and I hope its useful to you).)

For Mother Tongue, the MCQ and the Comprehension parts are the easiest, but is deadly if your child is unable to read well. Read more Mother Tongue to your child, and they will recognise and recall words, leading to more understanding of the topic and thus being able to answer the questions better.

Just for your info, my final PSLE score was:

Chinese- A
Science- A
Math- B
English- A

I know you are concerned with your child's social life, but I highly suggest you clear your tutors if they are not working for your child and coach him yourself. Your child can have a slight afternoon nap (1 hour) before you coach him in the evening after work (like my mum) and hopefully he can last a bit longer and can stay more focused. Also, in the weekends, you can let him do whatever he wants to in the afternoon but in the evening he must listen to you and you must be able to coach him.

Remember, if academics isn't really your child's thing (like me :wink: :wink:), you can always try out DSA, and help your child get into a school based on talent, but I'm not sure if you can apply this late into the year.

Hope this helps, and I hope you can benefit and score your child a breakthrough! :rahrah: :rahrah: Sorry for the long, long reply!

PS. if you're wondering, I am a Sec 2 student, and though my profile doesn't say so, its quite common for kids to fake details anyways. I just want to help out and give a new perspective on things :lol: :lol:

chloecube
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by chloecube » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 am

thks anonymousguru, you sounded like a matured and sensible kid to me :)

i left with only 3 weeks to PSLE, and i do not think is wise to do major changes now, i will just continue to the current tutors (which is think is not their issue but my son).
i will not load him with more hw, he will just continue to do his school and tuition hw.
i have tried soft and hard approach on him, neither works. i blame myself for not being a good mum, i do not know how to teach him well.
i just hope he can do his best during psle, his biggest weakness is nervousness and no confidence.
hope he can overcome that.
i have accepted the fact that he probably will go to normal stream with his current prelim results, if he needs to take a longer time than others, so be it. so long as he is comfortable with it and not be stressed by others.

hereby, i wish all parents whose kids are taking psle with good luck.

2Transformer
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by 2Transformer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 pm

anonymousguru is an adult not a kid.

This is not the first time....an adult pretend to be a kid and give advise...

Just give advise as an adult la....why pretend ?

Btw, guru is a teacher (Malay) = cikgu = Lao shi (Chinese)