chickenpox immunization or others??

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

chickenpox immunization or others??

Postby sharon yuansong » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi.

Don't know whether I'm overreact. Do I have to give my son a chickenpox immunization? Just thinking he can not afford 2 weeks time in this precious time frame. But does he have high possibility to have this considering he is P6 already and still never "have"? I am kind of medical blind, and also thinking I am overreacting or too nervous...

sharon yuansong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: chickenpox immunization or others??

Postby Norbu » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 am

[quote="sharon yuansong"]Hi.

Don't know whether I'm overreact. Do I have to give my son a chickenpox immunization? Just thinking he can not afford 2 weeks time in this precious time frame. But does he have high possibility to have this considering he is P6 already and still never "have"? I am kind of medical blind, and also thinking I am overreacting or too nervous...[/quote]

maybe abit late, but if want to take it soon as after 12 yrs old, require 2 dosage while below 12 yrs only 1 dose.

Norbu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dazzle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:02 pm

I would advise you to give chicken pox jab to your kid. Haven't got it doesn't mean won't get it at all. Reason is that chicken pox virus will cause shingles in later life if a person immune system is low.

Dazzle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Dazzle wrote:I would advise you to give chicken pox jab to your kid. Haven't got it doesn't mean won't get it at all. Reason is that chicken pox virus will cause shingles in later life if a person immune system is low.

my kids and I received the chicken pox jab...then my son got infected but it was just a few red dots...passed it to the rest of us.
hubby had the worst attack...all over his face and body.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 am

Dazzle wrote:I would advise you to give chicken pox jab to your kid. Haven't got it doesn't mean won't get it at all. Reason is that chicken pox virus will cause shingles in later life if a person immune system is low.

I think there is also a slight risk of shingles from the vaccine as the virus remains in the blood stream. However, it is a lower risk than getting shingles after a natural chickenpox infection.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dazzle » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:16 pm

You may want to check out this WebMD on link between chicken pox and shingles:
http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/ ... chickenpox

Dazzle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mwchua » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:03 am

Hi appreciate some advice here.

My girl had chickenpox vaccination when she was 3 years old, after our maid was down with it.

I am thinking of giving her a booster jab before PSLE this year. But read that generally kids under 12 years old only need 1 jab. So wondering is a booster necessary?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Tks.

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sembgal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 pm

mwchua wrote:Hi appreciate some advice here.

My girl had chickenpox vaccination when she was 3 years old, after our maid was down with it.

I am thinking of giving her a booster jab before PSLE this year. But read that generally kids under 12 years old only need 1 jab. So wondering is a booster necessary?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Tks.

My dd had her 2nd booster jab for chicken pox between age 5 to 6. This was advised by paediatrician as those children who have only 1 chicken pox jab tend to get chicken pox infection after some time from age 6. The best is to go for the 2nd chicken pox jab soon.

My dd had 3 pneumococcal injection taken when she was infant. The latest booster pneumococcal injection was also recommended. She has taken the vaccination and it helps to prevent pneumonia and other diseases.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:02 am

For flu jab, the nurse in the family clinic I go to, told me a booster is necessary every year once you start taking it.
Kids and I had our chicken pox jab...for adults, 2...for kids below 12, just 1.
Then we had mild outbreak of chickenpox...so I wonder if they need a booster.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 am

janet88 wrote:For flu jab, the nurse in the family clinic I go to, told me a booster is necessary every year once you start taking it.
Kids and I had our chicken pox jab...for adults, 2...for kids below 12, just 1.
Then we had mild outbreak of chickenpox...so I wonder if they need a booster.

The annual flu jab is not a "booster". Every year, the flu strains vary, so the jab is prepared with the strains which are forecast to be the main ones for that year. They don't always get it right, though!

Once you have had a chickenpox outbreak, the antibodies will already be in your bloodstream, so there is no need for any more jabs.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE