Worried about my son going to sec 1

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby arj13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this so pardon me if I am not doing something right.

My son just completed his PSLE this year. I have friends whose children have gone on to Sec 1. They have been telling me about the massive jump that occurs from P6 to S1. From 4 subjects to 8-9 subjects, a huge change in the curriculum for math and science, CCA and so many other things.

I was just wondering if anyone here also has the same worries or am I being overly paranoid. I just want my kids to have fun, this is the only time they will be kids.

Thanks!

:sweat: :sweat:

arj13
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Try looking at the positives. Being exposed to more subjects makes learning more interesting. Learning to cope with more subjects stretches their abilities and helps them grow, and they will have a greater sense of achievement. CCA can be hard work, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun too. I think a lot of the stress comes from having overly high expectations. If you are realistic in expecting your son needing some time to grow into the extra demands of sec school, help him with the transition, encourage him to try new things and stretch himself, help him learn to pick himself up and try again etc, sec school is great time for learning and growing. I have 2 girls aged 15 and 17yo, and their transition went fine. Not that they didn't make mistakes, get stressed etc when they encountered the various 'first times', but learning to cope and overcome difficulties has been a great growing up experience for them.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lexis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Most kids can manage, even though they are doing more subjects. My thoughts are that secondary one is not as "intensive" as p6, and kids mostly enjoy their new found freedom and their new experiences. My son entered Sec 1 this year, and although he feels some subjects are more challenging to manage (as there is less hand-holding), he enjoys secondary school a lot!

I think Sec 1 is considered 'honeymoon year' as schools let up on the kids, allowing them to adjust to sec school.

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby John Lim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:21 pm

sec 1 very easy

sec 1 maths easier than P6, no more stupid model

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AppleCrumble » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 pm

arj13 wrote:I just want my kids to have fun, this is the only time they will be kids.

Thanks!

:sweat: :sweat:

No matter how reluctant we are as parents, our kids will still grow up and we will have to let them go to find their ways around.

Sure, it will be a big jump from P6 to Sec 1. Just like how our kids had had a big jump from K2 to P1 (going to a big school with loads of seniors and 'strict' teachers), they will survive. :lol:

AppleCrumble
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby arj13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi again!

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely helped to calm some nerves.

Are there any things that my son can do to prepare for sec 1 while he is enjoying his holidays? He is playing the whole day and that is good since it is the holidays. However, if he can spend some time learning about the subjects in sec 1, that will be awesome. With that in mind, are there any things he can do to prepare or any courses that you might know of he can attend?

Appreciate all the help and replies!

arj13
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:02 pm

arj13 wrote:Hi again!

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely helped to calm some nerves.

Are there any things that my son can do to prepare for sec 1 while he is enjoying his holidays? He is playing the whole day and that is good since it is the holidays. However, if he can spend some time learning about the subjects in sec 1, that will be awesome. With that in mind, are there any things he can do to prepare or any courses that you might know of he can attend?

Appreciate all the help and replies!

Err, I thought you wanted him to have fun? Unless you think he is below average academically and will have difficulty keeping up, I don't think studying ahead is necessary. You may cause him to be bored when school starts. Just get him to read more (both languages). You may want to have him review some maths and science facts a couple of weeks before school starts, but even that is not strictly necessary. One of the things that marks growing up academically is being able to learn through reading and exploration, and not just 'school' stuff. You can set him a task or project depending on his interests and tell him to read up and find out things on his own. Sending him for a course will just extend his dependency on being 'taught'.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:03 pm

John Lim wrote:sec 1 very easy

:rotflmao:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vk2kv » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:08 pm

No more stupid model .... Nice phrase catch up.

vk2kv
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 pm

vk2kv wrote:

No more stupid model .... Nice phrase catch up.

but my younger one in primary school still needs to use that MODEL...son said, 'I've had enough of this stupid thing.'

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE