Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Worried about my son going to sec 1

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 am

Nebbermind wrote:
JonC wrote:It's quite normal to worry.

Oh! I thought it is quite abnormal to worry!! :laugh:

Seriously, unless you are a new citizen or PR, we have all gone through the jump too....and every year 40k++ kids have been going through the same thing too!! It's can't be that scary, right?

That is Mars and Venus talking :wink:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 151


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby janet88 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:27 am

hi arj13,
plain reading history or geography might be boring. you can get your son to write a journal daily. engage in some sports.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 40128
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 126


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Funz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 am

Sun_2010 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
JonC wrote:It's quite normal to worry.

Oh! I thought it is quite abnormal to worry!! :laugh:

Seriously, unless you are a new citizen or PR, we have all gone through the jump too....and every year 40k++ kids have been going through the same thing too!! It's can't be that scary, right?

That is Mars and Venus talking :wink:


In that case I am from the same planet as Nebbermind. :scared:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12196
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:01 am

Sun, were you at the boarding briefing two evenings ago?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15882
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 am

11-12 is a good time to let go of the hand holding and taking ownership of responsibilities . But no thanks to PSLE pressures , as parents we feel it hard to take chances. So we guide, we drill, we plan, we nag...

Sec 1 is the next best occasion to give them the opportunity to take care of themselves. It is the slackest time of Secondary school, teachers are more accommodating , and everyone is new to this. There is still lot of time to catch up for O levels and A levels. As long as we, parents, are putting cushion pads all around, so that in case our children fall, they would not get hurt, how are they going to know what is falling all about, and how to get up?

My 2 cents would be - Have frequent talks , and back off. The initiative has to come from him. Give him some responsibilities/chores now - preferably non-academic ones. It could be planning his holiday ,doing his laundry, do a research and find out which product to buy ( if he has asked for something), travel by himself using public transport, plan a holiday trip with budgets, anything else that interests him like sports, hobbies etc. Probe him frequently to ask how was his day, and give your inputs, on some issues. I have learnt that biting my tongue often produces better results than my "sane" advice.

Of course our work is far from over, we have to be there to intervene when necessary, but let them fall and learn to pick up. It is far easier now than it will be ever after. It may take a couple of months or a year or to find his feet but that is the most important part of growing up.

On a different note, the academics just help open doors. A good self esteem and sense of responsibility , are like the skeletal system. They support you always. So even if there are no doors , you can climb over the wall, jump thru a window, or forget that door and build your own mansion.

Just my humble opinion.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 151
1 people like this post



Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:10 am

Nebbermind wrote:Sun, were you at the boarding briefing two evenings ago?

I am being stalked :scared:

jk, jk
Were you there? I would have loved to meet you.
I did not see any one in leaves :wink:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 151


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:23 am

Sun_2010 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Sun, were you at the boarding briefing two evenings ago?

I am being stalked :scared:

jk, jk
Were you there? I would have loved to meet you.
I did not see any one in leaves :wink:

:peekaboo:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15882
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby John Lim » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 pm

stupid model = algebra with diagram (top secret)

model method developed by the project team (led by Dr
kho Tek Hong) in the 1980s (mata already wear long pants)

very good for some pupils but not all

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Sun, were you at the boarding briefing two evenings ago?

I am being stalked :scared:

jk, jk
Were you there? I would have loved to meet you.
I did not see any one in leaves :wink:

:peekaboo:


And BTW, I was gonna ask them about the story below...but didn't have the chance...

Finally, if anyone ever noticed, NUS High school hostel is built in the shape of a swastika and this is no coincidence. During WWII, the area used to be a swamp and was the site of a japanese massacre. Because of that, the “dark” energy that radiated from the place was very strong. As such, a swastika sign was to be placed over it to contain the “dark energy”. Also, as if this wasn’t sufficient, the pi-wall was designed to be more than a pi-wall. It was designed to be a large reflective mirror of sorts to reflect all these “dark energy” away from the main school campus.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15882
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: Worried about my son going to sec 1

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

And BTW, I was gonna ask them about the story below...but didn't have the chance...

Finally, if anyone ever noticed, NUS High school hostel is built in the shape of a swastika and this is no coincidence. During WWII, the area used to be a swamp and was the site of a japanese massacre. Because of that, the “dark” energy that radiated from the place was very strong. As such, a swastika sign was to be placed over it to contain the “dark energy”. Also, as if this wasn’t sufficient, the pi-wall was designed to be more than a pi-wall. It was designed to be a large reflective mirror of sorts to reflect all these “dark energy” away from the main school campus.

:yikes: Thank you bro for giving me sleepless nights next year.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 151


PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres