To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Postby ctrlaltdel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:38 am

Hi, my son is entering p5 next year and I am a full time working mother. I was contemplating to take one year unpaid leave either in P5 or P6 to coach my son for PSLE.

My personal thoughts are P6 would be super stressful for the kid as there would be a lot of homework and classes from the school itself. There won't be much I can do anyway during this year except to make sure he has enough rest and well balanced play.

I would prefer P5 because I have heard the steep ascent of difficulty in the syllabus and that there would be a lot of cramping of topics including p6 topics into P5. This is the perfect time to work on the foundation so that P6 will be more smooth sailing.

However, my bosses think that P5 is not a strong reason to justify the unpaid leave. :cry: In any case, after a lot of consideration, I will be leaving the corporate world to focus on my kids. :rahrah:

I would like to hear the thoughts of the mummies and daddies here. What do you think?

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Postby soseducation » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Is your child performing well for his academics now?
If he isn't, P5 will be the year that you have to supervise and focus on his studies. Else, he will have a hard time catching up in P6.

If he is doing fine, just need to check on him every now and then, or else it will be additional pressure for him which my students always complain about haha.

Many parents choose to take unpaid leave in P6 so that they can give their child extra morale support i.e accompany them while they study, prepare delicious food for them. I think that it is a good idea as kids need their parents by their side while facing their first major examinations. The time spent together is precious and can't be bought by any sum of money. My mum was there for me during my PSLE and words can't describe my appreciation towards her big sacrifice.

soseducation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 am

When my dd1 sat for PSLE last year, I had a very supportive boss. She allowed me to work from home from July onwards. My role was more of providing support and "policing" around at home.

When ds sat for PSLE this year, I did not have similar arrangement. But I do try to spend time with him on revision every night. During the daytime, he has to finish his school hw and works that I assigned. It worked out that way. I suppose this allows us to give each other space.

I supposed it voiced down to the child. Where do they stand currently from academic POV. Are they discipline to be able to do their work when mum is not around? Do they need someone to watch them so that they can be productive? But at the end of the day, I suppose it's consistency that matters. You know your child best to know what works. It also voiced down to the priority of the parents since not working means the loss of income too.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby bb_ mom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am

When DD took her PSLE last year, I realized that DS would not be able to make it at the rate he was going. And I'm not referring to his work but more to his attitude towards work. He was in P4 at that time. So...I took the plunge and left the work force in Sept last year. Overall, I'm glad I took this path. Although his grades have not improved significantly, and honestly it's tough to expect a big improvement when we've not paid much attention for the past 4 years, but his attitude has definitely improved.

With a daily schedule in place, he's able to actually complete the work I set out for him. And not in a haphazard manner just for the sake of telling me he's done his work. And for this, DH and I are already happy.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MomDana » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Answer is quite straightforward: if you can afford to live within your household means then taking a year off is recommended. Your child goes thru psle only once in her/his life. It's an opportunity also in your lifetime to be with her/him during this critical milestone. You will have memorable time. Money can be earned again but once the "passage of time" pass, it will be gone forever...you'll not get another opportunity to repeat or replay it again maybe just regret you are not there when he/she need you =)...so choose wisely..

MomDana
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ctrlaltdel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Finances wise, I would be able to stop working for one to two years. But it would be tight, so I hope to stop working for one year. The question is whether p5 or p6 makes more sense.

My son is an above average kid but is unfocused and lacks in self discipline. I can give him work to do in the day but there's always a lot of nagging and haggling to get them done. I hope that I can be home to build up a routine and to foster some discipline in him. Easier.to manage when time is more flexible for me,especially when I also have a younger gal entering p1 next year too.

Thanks to the mummies who shared with me on the experiences with the kids.

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:20 pm

ctrlaltdel wrote:Finances wise, I would be able to stop working for one to two years. But it would be tight, so I hope to stop working for one year. The question is whether p5 or p6 makes more sense.

My son is an above average kid but is unfocused and lacks in self discipline. I can give him work to do in the day but there's always a lot of nagging and haggling to get them done. I hope that I can be home to build up a routine and to foster some discipline in him. Easier.to manage when time is more flexible for me,especially when I also have a younger gal entering p1 next year too.

Thanks to the mummies who shared with me on the experiences with the kids.

If your main aim is to inculcate more discipline and self-motivation in your son, starting in P5 is probably better. You will feel less urgency and have more time to get routines etc in place. If you get that sorted out, then you can leave him to manage on his own more in P6. But do check with him how he feels about it and convince him that it's for his good. Otherwise you may have rebellion to deal with too. And since your daughter is starting P1, you can get her started on self-learning and discipline as well.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:04 pm

It's no coincidence that many, if not most, gifted children's mothers are stay-home mothers.

A colleague told me her kids would not have been able to achieve T-scores of 260+ and 270+ if she had not been a stay-home mother.

Scores and scores of stories I have seen and heard point to the fact that having a stay-home mother help alot in children's academic and non-academic performance in school, so do take leave to stay home to help your child.

If you are only taking one year, I would encourage you to take it during his P6 year as it is a year that you should look into details of how to improve his score. However, you need to support him well during his P5 year so that you won't face a massive task of trying to make him pass at P6.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Someone in teaching line ever told me. Those students who are able perform well in her class, most of them, their parents are very supportive.

I envy those mother who are able to take long term no pay leave from their company. :)

I am working in PTE sector, if I suggest to take long term no pay leave, I think my boss will tell me to tender instead. :p

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ctrlaltdel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

JJ1111 wrote:Someone in teaching line ever told me. Those students who are able perform well in her class, most of them, their parents are very supportive.

I envy those mother who are able to take long term no pay leave from their company. :)

I am working in PTE sector, if I suggest to take long term no pay leave, I think my boss will tell me to tender instead. :p

I'm working in the government sector and I asked to take unpaid leave, but was rejected too. In fact, my boss told me that academics are not important in this era :yikes: and she cannot understand my rationale on the unpaid leave. Ultimately, it depends on the company culture and the bosses.That's why I am leaving corporate world.

It's not without fear and inner turmoil to do so, but it's something close to my heart and I firmly believe that a SAHM would be able to give support to the kid and help the kid to manage better. With more time, I also forsee myself to be able to manage my own expectations better. :boogie:

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE