Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Postby pixiedust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 am

ctrlaltdel
Sorry for this late reply. I agree with slmkhoo.
P5 is a very critical year because majority of the PSLE topics are taught in P5. Managing P5 well is very important for PSLE and stress level of the last few months.

NPL for 2 years will be the best (you can go back to work in Oct as PSLE is usually conducted in Oct). If you really have to choose, I suggest P5 one year NPL and P6 take your annual leave when needed.

slmkhoo wrote:
ctrlaltdel wrote:Finances wise, I would be able to stop working for one to two years. But it would be tight, so I hope to stop working for one year. The question is whether p5 or p6 makes more sense.

My son is an above average kid but is unfocused and lacks in self of nagging and haggling to get them done. I hope that I can be home to build up a routine and to foster some discipline in him. Easier.to manage when time is more flexible for me,especially when I also have a younger gal entering p1 next year too.
discipline. I can give him work to do in the day but there's always a lot
Thanks to the mummies who shared with me on the experiences with the kids.

If your main aim is to inculcate more discipline and self-motivation in your son, starting in P5 is probably better. You will feel less urgency and have more time to get routines etc in place. If you get that sorted out, then you can leave him to manage on his own more in P6. But do check with him how he feels about it and convince him that it's for his good. Otherwise you may have rebellion to deal with too. And since your daughter is starting P1, you can get her started on self-learning and discipline as well.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 am

p5 would be more appropriate to take NPL to plan and coach. if there are any hiccups, there is still time. p6 would be a super packed 9 months. p5 is also a year new topics are introduced and there is a steep learning curve. manage p5 well so that p6 will not be so stressful.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ctrlaltdel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:27 am

janet_lee88 wrote:p5 would be more appropriate to take NPL to plan and coach. if there are any hiccups, there is still time. p6 would be a super packed 9 months. p5 is also a year new topics are introduced and there is a steep learning curve. manage p5 well so that p6 will not be so stressful.

Yes I fully agree with you. That's why i suggest p5 to my boss. But she does not understand the rationale and feels that I am very KS. In fact, she told me that I will drive my son crazy if I stay at home to coach him. :siao:

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ctrlaltdel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:31 am

pixiedust wrote:NPL for 2 years will be the best (you can go back to work in Oct as PSLE is usually conducted in Oct). If you really have to choose, I suggest P5 one year NPL and P6 take your annual leave when needed.

I can't even get NPL for 1 year. Don't even need to think about 2 years. :sweat:

In any case, I have decided to stop working by Jan next year.

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ctrlaltdel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:41 am

bangs wrote:I started my NPL during the end of year hols Given the choice, I would do it all over again. It may or may not have any impact on his results (we will know on Friday :nailbite: ) but my bond with my DS is stronger than ever and being witness to how he diligently ploughed through the PSLE year makes me so glad that I took the plunge.

Yes,academics is important but secondary to the efforts put in for the exams. As a mother, I do not want to regret one day that I was not there for my kids during the crucial milestone. I would like to think that whatever the results may be,I have tried my best. Even if academics wise may not improve , I'm sure the bonding will be stronger than ever,just like in your case.

I know when tmr comes, you will be proud of your son when he stands to receive his results. I think when the day comes for me, I'll be proud for both of us too.

ctrlaltdel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bb_ mom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:00 pm

ctrlaltdel wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:p5 would be more appropriate to take NPL to plan and coach. if there are any hiccups, there is still time. p6 would be a super packed 9 months. p5 is also a year new topics are introduced and there is a steep learning curve. manage p5 well so that p6 will not be so stressful.

Yes I fully agree with you. That's why i suggest p5 to my boss. But she does not understand the rationale and feels that I am very KS. In fact, she told me that I will drive my son crazy if I stay at home to coach him. :siao:

There will always be people like that. Even now, after I stopped work for a year, my boss/ex-boss will ask if DS results have improved after I became a SAHM. But I am very happy that I stopped at the end of DS P4. Although his academic results have not improved significantly, his attitude towards work has improved substantially. And that is more important to DH & I. At least, he's able to do the work I set for him when I'm not around, unlike previously when he'll just give me a flippant answer of "I forgot".

Even if he does not perform well in his PSLE next year, I will know that it is not for want of effort by him. And that I supported him fully.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bangs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:34 pm

ctrlaltdel[quote="ctrlaltdel wrote:
bangs wrote:I started my NPL during the end of year hols Given the choice, I would do it all over again. It may or may not have any impact on his results (we will know on Friday :nailbite: ) but my bond with my DS is stronger than ever and being witness to how he diligently ploughed through the PSLE year makes me so glad that I took the plunge.

Yes,academics is important but secondary to the efforts put in for the exams. As a mother, I do not want to regret one day that I was not there for my kids during the crucial milestone. I would like to think that whatever the results may be,I have tried my best. Even if academics wise may not improve , I'm sure the bonding will be stronger than ever,just like in your case.

I know when tmr comes, you will be proud of your son when he stands to receive his results. I think when the day comes for me, I'll be proud for both of us too.
"][quote="bangs"]

Thanks ctrlaltdel. Yes, today, I feel at peace. Not because I am confident of his performance (I am not) but because I know as a mom, I have tried my best and so has he. So, we will move on with whatever we have and start on a clean slate again from tomorrow onwards.

Incidentally, as for the discussion on whether NPL for P5 or P6 or both, I felt that in my case, P6 was the best decision for us. I think P5 and P6 would have been too draining for me (possibly for him too), but then again, each case is different and you know your child (and yourself) the best.

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bangs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

zbear wrote:bangs, your unpaid leave is very well put to use n I am sure both you n your son will reap benefits.

The bottomline of parents taking unpaid leave is to use the time effectively - ie, work with your child on his/her weak areas n set up a daily routine. If you take leave n not diligent enuf to push the child, then it will really be wasted. In other words, spend quality time with your kid as one year passes by very quickly if you don't realise it.

That's my humble opinion.

Thanks zbear. Yes, effective time management is very important for the P6 year as the amount of schoolwork given could be very staggering. During my son's holidays, he was working from morning to evening with very little break and yet, only just managed to finish the work set (mainly school work). However, he is also a slow worker and takes a long time to get started and "warmed up". I helped him ensure time management and scheduling :?:

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bangs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:43 pm

bb_ mom wrote:
ctrlaltdel wrote:

There will always be people like that. Even now, after I stopped work for a year, my boss/ex-boss will ask if DS results have improved after I became a SAHM. But I am very happy that I stopped at the end of DS P4. Although his academic results have not improved significantly, his attitude towards work has improved substantially. And that is more important to DH & I. At least, he's able to do the work I set for him when I'm not around, unlike previously when he'll just give me a flippant answer of "I forgot".

Even if he does not perform well in his PSLE next year, I will know that it is not for want of effort by him. And that I supported him fully.

Ditto to that! :xedfingers:

bangs
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi bangs, GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST TO YOUR DS tomorrow.

Can keep us posted.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres