Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: To take unpaid leave in P5 or P6 for PSLE ?

Postby kboon2009 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi any mummies who quit their job for PSLE can share whether it is challenging to go back to workforce thereafter?

kboon2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KiddyLow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:15 am

Hi

My DS1 is taking his PSLE next year. Now already stressing over his bochap attitude. No sense of urgency. Planning to work from home for half days from Jul onwards. Any comments or advice are welcomed. Thanks.

KiddyLow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MyPillow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am

I saved up my leave n took half day for about 2 plus weeks till end of psle - The day after psle - dh n I took one full day n brought my psle kid to triple three for good buffet lunch as closing ceremony .

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiddyLow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 am

Hi MyPillow

Thanks for sharing. The half day leaves were for coaching or moral support? I know some schools provide supplementary lessons to catch up on the syllabus and hence left with little time for self revision.

KiddyLow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MyPillow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 am

KiddyLow wrote:Hi MyPillow

Thanks for sharing. The half day leaves were for coaching or moral support? I know some schools provide supplementary lessons to catch up on the syllabus and hence left with little time for self revision.

Both moral support n prep nice little snacks for some afternoon . Helping the kid with some revision in some papers - arranging n packing notes materials so that all notes are neater n easy to retrieve.
I think the some supp lessons ended few weeks before psle. But the teachers n classroom are available for self revision n consultation. On some days, my ds revised , I watched K drama with ear piece , turn on aircon n both of us in same room - to assure child that his parent is around to support .
I destressed over K drama lah :p

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiddyLow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks. Other than the last 2 weeks during PSLE, did you take leave for SA1, PRELIMS. Got to ready budget my limited leave. Lol

KiddyLow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MyPillow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 am

KiddyLow wrote:Thanks. Other than the last 2 weeks during PSLE, did you take leave for SA1, PRELIMS. Got to ready budget my limited leave. Lol

I think I did take on n off half day during Prelims
On days where there was long supp class n tuition - I din take leave so to save . Yep, must strategize our leave - save for the deserved treats holidays to relax after Psle :)
I think I Saved about 30 days leave that year for psle events

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am

I did not for both kids' PSLE. Think I will be more of hindrance than help for them. Coaching is left to their teachers and tutors for those few subjects that they are getting additional help. Other than that my main role is to make sure that they stay positive and focused. Some pushing here and there and pulling them back on track but no taking leave to oversee their revisions. A lot of talking, type of conversation is diff for DD and DS. With DD it is along the lines of you stay focused, push yourself a little, try to aim for this particular school, it is only for these few weeks and you get all the time to relax after that. With DS, it is no need to obsess over very single mark, even if you don't get into this school there are other choices, there are many paths to obtain what you want in the end. Hahaha. Diff character, one too lax, one tend to be highstrung.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby overthinker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi, just chanced upon this thread while googling for info about taking unpaid leave to help my ds prep for his PSLE next year. So glad to read the sharings from like-minded parents and you've affirmed my decision to take the plunge. Not everyone around us (friends and colleagues) understand our decision but you're right, we should just go with our own motherly instincts.

Would just like an opinion here - my ds is not very self-disciplined so would require lots of pushing and supervision to get his work done. One of my goals is to help him put in place a solid study routine and hopefully instill self discipline to be more independent. Do you think 3 months is too short to get that fixed? I'm now planning the duration for my unpaid leave.

overthinker
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby LanglitEnglish » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm

overthinker wrote:Hi, just chanced upon this thread while googling for info about taking unpaid leave to help my ds prep for his PSLE next year. So glad to read the sharings from like-minded parents and you've affirmed my decision to take the plunge. Not everyone around us (friends and colleagues) understand our decision but you're right, we should just go with our own motherly instincts.

Would just like an opinion here - my ds is not very self-disciplined so would require lots of pushing and supervision to get his work done. One of my goals is to help him put in place a solid study routine and hopefully instill self discipline to be more independent. Do you think 3 months is too short to get that fixed? I'm now planning the duration for my unpaid leave.

Are you referring to the 3 months just before the PSLE? If so, that's probably a bit late.
If your goal is to instill self-discipline and put in place a solid study routine, it would be best to do that earlier in the year so that in the last 3 months before the PSLE, you won't be starting from 'scratch', because he would have adjusted to having to study more diligently. Then if you want to take leave closer to the PSLE, it will be less of an uphill task for you to get him to study for the exams.

LanglitEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres