Past PSLE English Compo Questions 2002-2014 + Oral

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Past PSLE English Compo Questions 2002-2014 + Oral

Postby pixiedust » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:10 pm

ENGLISH COMPOSITION (note that from 2015 EL Paper1 format changed)

Scenario-based stimulus
2014 - You were at a shopping centre with your father at the book sale when you heard a loud cheer coming from the main entrance of the building
2013 - You were at the cinema and the movie is about to start when an annoucement was made...
2012 - While you were in the library, you heard a strange noise/sound growing louder and louder
2011 - While I am walking towards the mall, I saw people rushing out .....
2010 – bus stop – an elderly woman approaching unsteadily
2009 – shopping centre – heard a strange noise
2008 – lift – robbery
2007 – MRT train – blackout
2006 – supermarket – fire
2005 – school -a child sobbing during recess
2004 – home – power failure / blackout
2003 – home (corridor) – burglary / theft / break-in
2002 – beach – people running in different directions

Picture stimulus
2014 - A boy is with three other pupils in a classroom. The boy is wearing a chicken outfit and the others are laughing at him
2013 - a picture showing inside the house, mummy is using her hands covering one of her son eyes. Asking the son to put his hands inside a box that was on the table
2012 - room/home - two children under a table, wrapped boxes on the table, there are some decoration/painting on the wall (rainbow), someone wearing long pants is walking into the room as one leg is shown coming through the doorway
2011 - zoo - scene in a zoo, an elephant spraying water at a man with a camera
2010 – shopping mall – a girl drops an ice cream cone from the first floor onto a man on the ground floor
2009 – beach – a boy is pinched by a crab while picking litter with his classmates
2008 – park – a child falls into a hole
2007 – foot of HDB block – two children throw eggs from their window at two students below
2006 – park – a ball rolls into the path of a cyclist
2005 – roadside – a car splashes water onto two school children at a bus stop
2004 – canal – boys fishing; one boy climbs over the rails
2003 – outside school – motorcycle accident occurs during dismissal time
2002 – park – boys disturb a beehive

ENGLISH ORAL Topics 2005-2011
(vivid description from 2011 as contributed by ksp parent with excellent memory kid {I still remember who :lol: })

2011 PSLE English Oral Reading Aloud

Day 1
Dialogue among sister,brother and mother on whether to get hamster (after reading advertisement about someone going overseas to work and has 5 hamsters to give away)

Picture discussion
Classroom scene with some tables. Teacher about to enter classroom with some books. Table 1 - goldfish and 2 students (boy with hand in the tank, girl stopping him);Table 2 - 1 rabbit with 3 students (one using ruler to poke rabbit, another making faces at the rabbit, the third trying to stop them);

Table 3 – tortoise with rock in cage with 2 students (students obediently looking at cage). Examiner also asked her what she should do as a responsible pet owner.

Conversation - What are some of the places you would like visit or have visited. Suggest some ways which the places could be improved. (eg. Park or Zoo)

Day 2
Reading Aloud
Passage was about a young girl called Su Lin who was having a bad toothache and in great pain. She was scared to visit the dentist but her mother insisted that she must go there. Reluctantly, she and her mother went to the clinic to seek treatment from the dentist. After coming out from the clinic, Su Lin was smiling and realised that the experience (treatment) was not as painful as what she had thought.

Picture discussion
The setting was a scene inside a clinic. At the top left side of the picture, there were cabinets. One of the cabinets was opened and rows of medicine could be seen arranged neatly. In front of the cabinets, there was a counter to receive payment and possibly storing as well as dispensing medicine. A man could be seen taking out a $50 dollar note and about to pay the cashier (lady). At the top right hand corner, there was the consultation room. The consultation room was labelled as "Room 1" and underneath was the name of the doctor - "Dr John Lim". To the left side of the consultation room, there was a bench where a mother could be seen comforting her young daughter who was crying with her right hand being bandaged. Above them, there was a poster showing the picture of healthy diet in the form of a pyramid. In front of the crying young daughter and her mother, there were two boys fighting over a toy car. Next to them (2 boys) on the right, there was a mother holding her toddler.

Conversation
Talk about an experience of you going to the clinic.

Picture: At the park but the theme is a healthy lifestyle (Fat father giving his plump daughter junk food).

Conversation: Topic was "Healthy lifestyle" - how you keep fit.
Passage : About cleaning up the park

Picture : A scene in a family home, whereby a girl is reading a book on the couch, her dad is cleaning the the windows, her mom is scolding and mopping the floor and her baby brotheris crawling on the floor.

Conversation: How do you help out in your home?/Do you do household chores?/Do you like cleaning the park?

Picture: A Family meal
Conversation: A good meal with family

Picture: At the void deck
Conversation: A kind deed

Picture: Robotics competition
Conversation: Watching/participating in a competition

Picture: Pitching a tent
Conversation: Camping

Picture: MRT cabin
Conversation: Compare taking MRT & bus (Transportation)

Picture: School health check
Conversation: Healthy lifestyle

Picture: Zoo
Conversation: Keeping pets

Picture: Library
Conversation: Reading favourite book

Picture: Along the road
Conversation: Helping others & being helped

Picture: At home (painting)
Conversation: Favourite subject
Last edited by pixiedust on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

2 people like this post

Re: Past PSLE English Compo Questions 2002-2014

Postby pixiedust » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Moderators : worth pining ?

Long time no come KSP but around PSLE time KSP always pop into my mind :smile: Saw someone in 2015 PSLE thread asking so I contribute my list here (Chief : can give KS$ :duck: )

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby HAPPYH » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm

:thankyou:
pixiedust wrote:Scenario-based stimulus
2014 - You were at a shopping centre with your father at the book sale when you heard a loud cheer coming from the main entrance of the building
2013 - You were at the cinema and the movie is about to start when an annoucement was made...
2012 - While you were in the library, you heard a strange noise/sound growing louder and louder
2008 – lift – robbery

Picture stimulus
2014 - A boy is with three other pupils in a classroom. The boy is wearing a chicken outfit and the others are laughing at him
2013 - a picture showing inside the house, mummy is using her hands covering one of her son eyes. Asking the son to put his hands inside a box that was on the table
2012 - room/home - two children under a table, wrapped boxes on the table, there are some decoration/painting on the wall (rainbow), someone wearing long pants is walking into the room as one leg is shown coming through the doorway
2010 – shopping mall – a girl drops an ice cream cone from the first floor onto a man on the ground floor
2009 – beach – a boy is pinched by a crab while picking litter with his classmates
2007 – foot of HDB block – two children throw eggs from their window at two students below

:thankyou:

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 pm

pixiedust wrote:Moderators : worth pining ?

Long time no come KSP but around PSLE time KSP always pop into my mind :smile: Saw someone in 2015 PSLE thread asking so I contribute my list here (Chief : can give KS$ :duck: )

That's a solid list! Even better if you have the actual papers :)

Thanks for contributing. You have got some KP$ :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby GiftedGem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Nice job, pixiedust. :)

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vk2kv » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 pm

pixiedust wrote:Scenario-based stimulus
2008 – lift – robbery

Picture stimulus

Hard work.

Thank you :goodpost:

vk2kv
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby alng » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Thank you very much! This list is very useful even though the format of the English Compo has changed.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you.
Is there a Chinese compo list as well? :duck: :siam:
:razz:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Past PSLE English Compo Questions 2002-2014 + Oral

Postby pixiedust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks Chief for angbao. I did keep the actual questions and pictures from past PSLE booklets but I throw away liao :stupid:

I can't find my CL lists anymore. If they popup later, I will update the first post.
Only found the English Oral Topics but I updated till 2011 (my kid took 2012 psle and my niece this year's)

I'm retiring from PSLE monitoring :rahrah:
Wish you all the best and keep up the community spirit !

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Past PSLE English Compo Questions 2002-2014 + Oral

Postby nansk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:03 pm

pixiedust wrote:I did keep the actual questions and pictures from past PSLE booklets...
I'm retiring from PSLE monitoring :rahrah:
Wish you all the best and keep up the community spirit !

Thank you very much for compiling and posting this mighty helpful list.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE