Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: 2017 PSLE Discussions and Strategies

Post by mum_sugoku » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 am

floppy wrote:
phtthp wrote:So, does it mean that standard of Top Tier Secondary A-level IPJC schools (eg : RI, HCI, VJC, NJC, TJC, EJC, DHS, RVH) likely to drop from 2021, after AL psle system implemented, in the end in turn translated to weaker GCE A level results produced ?
With all due respect, don’t be silly.

Assuming that the schools’ popularity stay where they are, introduction of the AL system will hardly affect their end product (A level results) or their ‘standard’.

While AL system may allow some “weaker” students, who would not qualify under the current fine sorting system, into the top tier schools, these “weaker” students are hardly “weak”. Using today’s system, it’s the equivalent of allowing some mid / high 240s t-score students into these 250s / 260s school. You must have very faith in our education if you think of these 240s students as “weak” and not capable of producing good results or surviving in their environment. Even in today’s context, these mid / high 240s may still end up in the top tier schools after O levels.

Sure, it may be possible (I think quite certainly) that some of these top tier schools can’t produce 100% straight As students anymore and may have to settle for 95% straight As. But to call such a scenario as standard dropping is really clutching at straws.
Agree. For instance, in my kids' schools, it's not uncommon for students admitted via DSA (academic) to have t-scores at least 10 points below the school's official COP. My kids said those classmates with lower-than-COP t-score are performing just as well as those with higher t-scores.

SpartanMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:66

Post by SpartanMum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am

Balanced views from floppy.

DD1 and 2 in IP, same school, different levels - but I do not see what mum-sugoku sees. The boys with higher PSLE T-scores consistently perform better than those who just make it into IP including those who came in thru the DSA academic route. Maybe depends on the school?

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by mum_sugoku » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 am

SpartanMum wrote:Balanced views from floppy.

DD1 and 2 in IP, same school, different levels - but I do not see what mum-sugoku sees. The boys with higher PSLE T-scores consistently perform better than those who just make it into IP including those who came in thru the DSA academic route. Maybe depends on the school?
Er.. I do agree that those with high t-score (260 and above) tend to consistently perform better than those who just made it in or those thru DSA academic with lower-than-COP t-scores. (BTW the COP for my kids' schools range from 250 to mid 250s, t-scores for DSA (academic) students generally range from 240s to above schools' COP.)

SpartanMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:66

Post by SpartanMum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 am

mum_sugoku wrote:

Er.. I do agree that those with high t-score (260 and above) tend to consistently perform better than those who just made it in or those thru DSA academic with lower-than-COP t-scores. (BTW the COP for my kids' schools range from 250 to mid 250s, t-scores for DSA (academic) students generally range from 240s to above schools' COP.)
Hello mum_suguko :)

Sorry I have DS not DD . In DS 1 and 2 school, which like your kids' school, has COP in the low 250s range usually. DSA academic and other students who come in with lower 250s or below 250 (through DSA) do not seem (on average) to perform as well as those who come in with high 250s and above. Please note this is a general statement. There have been exceptions but not many.
Please do not get me wrong, I don't go around asking everybody's T-score and current sec school scores. My 2 DS and I are very close and we often have conversations about school and so I have gotten to know about their friends over the years.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters how amazingly they perform in sec school, it is about how much they enjoy and value the IP and how the latter develops them. For IP students, it is ultimately the A level which counts anyway. Besides, as has been repeated in this forum over the years, nobody cares what your PSLE score is when you apply for a job!

In summary, IMHO a high PSLE T-score may mean you have a better chance of doing well in IP. But it doesn't mean you will be more successful in life or survive better in the big (bad?) world.

:grphug:

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by mum_sugoku » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 am

SpartanMum wrote:
mum_sugoku wrote:

Hello mum_suguko :)

Sorry I have DS not DD . In DS 1 and 2 school, which like your kids' school, has COP in the low 250s range usually. DSA academic and other students who come in with lower 250s or below 250 (through DSA) do not seem (on average) to perform as well as those who come in with high 250s and above. Please note this is a general statement. There have been exceptions but not many.
Please do not get me wrong, I don't go around asking everybody's T-score and current sec school scores. My 2 DS and I are very close and we often have conversations about school and so I have gotten to know about their friends over the years.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters how amazingly they perform in sec school, it is about how much they enjoy and value the IP and how the latter develops them. For IP students, it is ultimately the A level which counts anyway. Besides, as has been repeated in this forum over the years, nobody cares what your PSLE score is when you apply for a job!

In summary, IMHO a high PSLE T-score may mean you have a better chance of doing well in IP. But it doesn't mean you will be more successful in life or survive better in the big (bad?) world.

:grphug:
I must confess that I'm guilty of generalizing :oops: . My kids' observation is also based merely on those classmates who they are close with, and may not be representative of the entire cohort. (The t-score range of 240s to above-COP was revealed by the school during school's briefing though.)

Agree with your comment. :smile:

Ganjiongspider
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Ganjiongspider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am

Personal intake - The stake is always who will survive & win the race in the end. It doesn't matter if you are always No. 1 in the race. Who cares if you are bottom 3 but get promoted in the end?

I have know some students who did just average from P4 to P6, but did exceptionally well in PSLE & Top scorers. In contrast, I know some students who are always in Top class, but unexpectedly score below 230. Well, this is truely unbelievable. For some, others may say the that the average ones are just Lucky to get Top scorers; & the latter are just Careless & Unlucky lo. But, my point is at the end of the day, it is the Final Race that counts. So, even if your dc did not perform above average or Top among their peers throughout the years, just remember : As long as your dc can finish the race - that's the most important!

Tokidoki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Tokidoki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 am

My friend's DC got into IP via DSA and consistently in top class in primary school and scored 250 during PSLE. Was pretty surprised that at Yr 4, Teacher informed my friend that DC needs to buck up else risk not getting promoted to Yr 5. So even a 250 tscore doesn't mean steady performance in sec level.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

Tokidoki wrote:My friend's DC got into IP via DSA and consistently in top class in primary school and scored 250 during PSLE. Was pretty surprised that at Yr 4, Teacher informed my friend that DC needs to buck up else risk not getting promoted to Yr 5. So even a 250 tscore doesn't mean steady performance in sec level.
As they get older, getting good results is very much a bout having good guidance and working hard.
My boy was just sharing with me last night about how his 'cher made a casual remark about him 'sleeping' in class...after which he worked sh!t hard and outscored everyone in the next test. :laugh:
If only his chers continued to make such 'casual remarks' :rotflmao:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am

Tokidoki wrote: So even a 250 tscore doesn't mean steady performance in sec level.
IP is a long and stressful journey.
a friend of mine told me the same thing...when daughter was in year 4, she was also facing the fear of not being promoted to year 5.

Boys2Men
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Boys2Men » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 am

Generally I have the impression that more boys than girls have the potential to catch up and do better later in sec and tertiary even if they have lower T scores.