2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Postby jetsetter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 pm

floppy wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Method of loci = shichida method

u can start your ds on shichida...:)

Listing items in the correct sequence thru visualisation.

Err... no. Not remotely close.
Otherwise you can also call Shichida a mind map and I'll pretend you are right.

Not too sure what Mr Shichida uses. But from the videos of frens' kids reciting a string of 30-40 items in the correct order, I reckoned they must have formed a memory palace (some loci) in their heads so as to link them correctly.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Not an expert in either, but assuming shichida method relies on visual memory, I understand that there is an upper limit to that and once that ceiling is reached, the person will suddenly find his super memory failing. Memory palace however is expandable.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

jetsetter wrote:
floppy wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Method of loci = shichida method

u can start your ds on shichida...:)

Listing items in the correct sequence thru visualisation.

Err... no. Not remotely close.
Otherwise you can also call Shichida a mind map and I'll pretend you are right.

Not too sure what Mr Shichida uses. But from the videos of frens' kids reciting a string of 30-40 items in the correct order, I reckoned they must have formed a memory palace (some loci) in their heads so as to link them correctly.

Well, most of the techniques uses imagery (visualisation), association and linkage to some extent (because of the general idea of whole brain, left / right brain, etc thinking). Their methodologies and applications are, however, very different.

Shichida uses flash cards (images) to help to associate items. So, you friends' kids could probably recite a string of 30-40 animals in the correct order. When repeated enough, it becomes intuitive, similar to how we can all recite A to Z. However, if you were to try to include animals, weather, kitchen utensils or general stuff that don't usually come together, it can get very complicated. Hence, I see Shichida as being useful for pre-schoolers to lower primary kids only.

Method of loci uses loci (singular: locus, a latin word for "place" or "location"). You associate visuals with the use of spatial memory, familiar information about one's environment, to quickly and efficiently recall information. Since most of us can immediate recall that the walking route (on one side) from Orchard MRT to Somerset MRT will take you from ION Orchard to Wisma Atria to Ngee Ann City to Mandarin Gallery (and Cineleisure 'behind') to Orchard Building and 313@Somerset, we can also attach 'useful' information to these locations. While it is useful for remembering large body of information, this method, sort of, has to work in a sequential information (which is why Sherlock also needs to 'walk' through the process in the show, but you can re-program the route map to be more efficient). Often, you cannot jump right in to the answer (not so good if you are pressed for time and the info you need is associated with 313@Somerset).

I don't think there's a method that solves all problems. A combination of two or more techniques usually work best.

P/S: Personally, I stick to the iPhone to do the work :rotflmao:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 pm

P4 SA1 has started, in many schools (end of April) ... the heat is on : this week plus next 2 weeks (labor week holiday)

perhaps play a soothing, beautiful guzheng music, to de-stress, music therapy help :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oFz9KZGgE

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Our kids (born 2007), sitting for Primary 6 PSLE 2019 cohort.

Note the changes announced by MOE, across the board : on All afffliated primary schools, starting wef our piggy batch

source of info
https://www.moe.gov.sg/microsites/psle/ ... ation.html

How will the new affiliation system work (from 2019) ?

Starting from the 2019 S1 Posting Exercise (for the 2019 Primary 6 cohort), Students from feeder primary schools who meet the minimum affiliate PSLE score set by the secondary school and indicate the affiliated school as their first choice, will be posted based on their PSLE scores.

◦ If the demand by these eligible affiliated students is lower than 80% of places for that course, all of them will get a place in the course in the school.

◦ If the demand is higher than 80%, posting-in of affiliated students will stop at 80% and the remaining students will be considered together with non-affiliated students for posting into the school based on their PSLE scores.

◦Affiliated students who are not posted to their first choice will be considered for their next choice school.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 pm

The answers provided by Jeremy Test Papers for 2016 SA2 English P4 Rosyth test paper for that advertisement MCQ section are all wrong. I was wondering why my child got 0 for that section till I analyzed her mistakes and realized that the answer sheet answers are incorrect.

Can parents share with me how reliable are the answers provided by Jeremy Test Papers. Any other test papers that provide more accurate answers?

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm

jennifertham wrote:Hello fellow friends, I am new here. I want to recommend this website http://www.umekang.com
It is great for learning resources, education, holidays and jobs. Personally, I found some good PSLE and primary school tuition teachers from that website.

Jennifer Tham,

Why are u spamming, in so many thread ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:02 pm

jennifertham wrote:Hello fellow friends, I am new here. I want to recommend this website http://www.umekang.com
It is great for learning resources, education, holidays and jobs. Personally, I found some good PSLE and primary school tuition teachers from that website.

Another tuition agency website.....

The tuition agents from this forum..... thread with care.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:55 pm

next week : only Term 4 week 2

Rgps starting P4 SA2 Oral / kou shi : next Wed and Thurs (20 And 21, Sep 2017)

Come Mon (16 Oct 2017) : both (EL composition and Chinese zuowen) Paper 1 start, followed by rest of the other Main papers, one by one.

source of info (Term 4 Exam time-table)
http://rafflesgirlspri.moe.edu.sg/qql/s ... 202017.pdf

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 pm

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE