LEARNConcierge

2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Postby lee_yl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 am

love1001 wrote:
kristelmum wrote:I think many of you will be surprised that there are parents who will cane their children if they did not perform up to expectation. My daughter told me her good friends (2 girls who are top few in P3 and P4) will be canned by their mum for every mark fall short of full mark!! To me, this is totally barbaric even though it really yields good results year after year. In school, kids share everything with their close friends. No secret.

Hi Kristelmum, this is no surprises to me and it is probably quite common. It is also happening to my DD1’s last year classmate. That girl receives academic achievement award every year since P1 too. I sometimes think when a child delivered good results the first year or the first time, parents expect the same to happen every year. Thus, getting increasingly demanding.

Oh, this is so true!

I think schools like to award the TOP 3 (per class / cohort) which may not be very healthy, like what love1001 mentioned, making parents harbour certain expectations for the very next year.

As kiasu parents, we expect our children’s results to only improve and we don’t respond well when we see stagnation or horror of all horrors, a dip in the results.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sean wife » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 am

On the other hand, I think there is some merit to the old system whereby everyone is ranked, rather than just giving awards to top 3 or top 5. At least if my child does not get the award, I will know how he fare against rest of class, rather than wondering and stressing myself if he is 4th, 10th or 20th. Or better still, just state if the child is between 5th-10th, 15th-20th etc.. just a relative sense of how the child is performing. With no percentile or whatever information, there is not much meaning in just knowing the absolute mark itself.

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sky minecrafter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

Hello, jmo, if my child is in a GE centre, she obtains rather consistently >91% aggregate score, I can be sure for that subject PSLE will be an A*. In that sense, a raw score suffices without making any not so performing child feel bad, I guess...
Last edited by sky minecrafter on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sky minecrafter
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nms1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

sean wife wrote:On the other hand, I think there is some merit to the old system whereby everyone is ranked, rather than just giving awards to top 3 or top 5. At least if my child does not get the award, I will know how he fare against rest of class, rather than wondering and stressing myself if he is 4th, 10th or 20th. Or better still, just state if the child is between 5th-10th, 15th-20th etc.. just a relative sense of how the child is performing. With no percentile or whatever information, there is not much meaning in just knowing the absolute mark itself.

I agree. My son's school refused to give out the percentile or quartiles for the P3s last year, only the P4s as they were deciding on their streams for this year. I complained to the school but they said it was an MOE directive. However, I know that some schools are still giving them out.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 pm

lee_yl wrote:
I think schools like to award the TOP 3 (per class / cohort) which may not be very healthy, like what love1001 mentioned, making parents harbour certain expectations for the very next year.

As kiasu parents, we expect our children’s results to only improve and we don’t respond well when we see stagnation or horror of all horrors, a dip in the results.

Exactly..... my boys' school no longer practiced giving award to Top 3 (per class / chohort). Now their school only give out to those who improves and those good in sports only.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm

sean wife wrote:On the other hand, I think there is some merit to the old system whereby everyone is ranked, rather than just giving awards to top 3 or top 5. At least if my child does not get the award, I will know how he fare against rest of class, rather than wondering and stressing myself if he is 4th, 10th or 20th. Or better still, just state if the child is between 5th-10th, 15th-20th etc.. just a relative sense of how the child is performing. With no percentile or whatever information, there is not much meaning in just knowing the absolute mark itself.

Actually it doesn't really matter. As long as the child gets into the choice secondary school is good enough. That is what most parents expectation. No point getting into the nitty gritty part on which position. Afterall at O / A level - your result is your result and not based on cohort.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Life is more than a score. After observing kids around....sad to see most are not well-rounded. Weekends chasing after tuition and tuition and enrichment and enrichment. No fun and interaction among kids. Weekday back to school. It is school then home or school then tuition/enrichment then home. :faint:

Sometime really wonder.....as a parents, are our lives as a kids like that too? If not then why do that to your own children? :?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby love1001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

laughingcat wrote:
lee_yl wrote:

Exactly..... my boys' school no longer practiced giving award to Top 3 (per class / chohort). Now their school only give out to those who improves and those good in sports only.

Well, I do hope more schools adopt this. Since MOE is already recognising good results through bursaries and scholarships, it is more meaningful for schools to present award for improvement, good character, leadership and contribution to CCA.

Furthermore in good classes, recognising only the top 3 is meaningless as the results are so close. Not getting the award does not mean one is a lousy student.

love1001
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zac's mum » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm

laughingcat wrote:Life is more than a score. After observing kids around....sad to see most are not well-rounded. Weekends chasing after tuition and tuition and enrichment and enrichment. No fun and interaction among kids. Weekday back to school. It is school then home or school then tuition/enrichment then home. :faint:

Sometime really wonder.....as a parents, are our lives as a kids like that too? If not then why do that to your own children? :?

My own life as a kid was like that. Tuition after tuition. Chasing that very last point from A* to even higher A*. Sometimes the parent is living their life thru the kid’s achievements. Sad life for the kids. Needless to say I am going the other way and prefer my own kid to be an all-rounder. And enjoy his childhood with adequate play time.

zac's mum
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Jia You zac's mum. You are not alone. I used to be like that when my ist born in P1-P3. Until one day, he told me that he has other passion that he has not tried. I felt ashamed. So when he was in P4, I dropped everything except Chinese. I wanted to drop his Science and he was devasted coz he loves his tuition teacher. together. My hubby told me off that ....anybody can teach a primary school kid, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to teach. His mum has no degree can also teach him when he was a boy. Now that I have a degree....I should be able to learn and teach my own.

So I took charge. Together my boy and I revised together nightly. Surprise! Surprise! Subjects that we do not have tuition actually scored better than having tuition. How I do it? I just seek advise from all-so-great mummies that have the experiences and materials to share or buy from. Also I talk to the teachers and we have fantastic feedback loop. Some teachers even go the extra miles to mark our extras which are not from the school homework. Collaboration with the school is fantastic, which I can't complain. No tuition at all but we participated in the school enrichment programmes after school.

It works and so at P5 we dropped all tuition. Partly is because my older DC has a little health issue which I want total rest. After his health okay, I was abit afraid of his Chinese. So last Nov we engaged a home chinese tutor BUT in Dec I fired the tutor because DC said the tutor is not as enthusiastic as me. When I heard that, I am in cloud nine. Now in P6, we are braved enough to say no tuition.

Like many parents, at first I thought I cannot do it. With 2 kiddos. I perserve. I am also working. I study and prepared the material till past midnight. Consistent efforts pay. Both my DCs and myself tried many things. We gotten good result. DC gotten top in English and Chinese compo in P5 SA2. Younger DC scored all subjects 100 at P2 SA2.

On top of that, all 2 DCs headhunted and represent a club in national sports.

My DCs have plenty of time to study, play sports (3/4 times a week that requires 3hrs each session), even video games with daddy over the weekend nights and weekly movie shows. This is call life. DCs are alot more happy. Something non-study to look forward to as a form of motivation.

The feeling is all so great. Trust in yourself and your child.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE

LEARNConcierge