2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Postby MyPillow » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am

laughingcat wrote:Life is more than a score. After observing kids around....sad to see most are not well-rounded. Weekends chasing after tuition and tuition and enrichment and enrichment. No fun and interaction among kids. Weekday back to school. It is school then home or school then tuition/enrichment then home. :faint:

Sometime really wonder.....as a parents, are our lives as a kids like that too? If not then why do that to your own children? :?

My girl suppose to swim weekly with us , but rainy season now.
Mine attend music on wk ends
Girl is grp guitar with lots of interaction , grp of 4
Boy piano individual but he has uniform cca n student leadership prg - too much interactions in fact . Just started grp Chinese class too , hopefully can speak more .

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am

dd asked to drop some of the stuff as she says the hw is more now. looks like i better dont add one more non acad enrichment which we originally planned for. not that she been studying, maybe just feeling that cannot have a total relaxing time maybe. i told them maybe after the coming exam of one non acad enrichment, we will stop for awhile then see how. i m beginning to feel stress too

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am

laughingcat,

Agree. Life is more than scores/grades. I rmbr encouraging DC to continue going for CCA up till July/Aug, even tho it was stand-down for those PSLE year. DC returned to say nobody in the same year are there except doing CCA with the younger kids.

I salute you! :salute:

You showed great determination and model worklife balance to both your DCs. I'm so overjoyed to hear both yr DCs did so well without tuition. You've helped them set good foundation for life. A mother's sacrificial love surpasses tuition. Most tuition has become BIG Business. There's no more love in coaching and guiding kids who need an educators' heart :grphug: to point them to the right direction and learn the ropes.

I do need to beg for your hubby to be abit more open to ustand education today is VERY unlike our times. I'm still struggling to agree with the pressure-cook education system we hv here & the PSLE yardstick that's still being used today. The way kids are tested not just their ability to ustand concepts, but at a young age to apply in specific manner such as those for Science Booklet B. Another example is the great difference in the way Chinese is taught today vs in the past & the level of vocabulary taught in the past comparing to today's much more demanding levels. I do want to pick on how kids were rqd to do modeling and yet totally not rqd when they move up to sec level. We're so aware how competitive schooling is with well-known schools going some length to point parents with lists of tuition centres to pull low grades up. Education are NOT abt grades & I hope MOE will bring some joy of learning not just thro My First Skool but all the way upwards so that primary education becomes engraved in the hearts of young fellows as the best childhood they had in Spore schools.

Here I do congratulate you again for all the hardwork, resourcing, planning and teaching & guiding your DCs and bring the joy of learning and fun in balancing time both for academic learning and sports. I'm indeed happy that your DH is at least supporting his role in co-parenting and spending time for sports time with your kids. You've not only saved fr expensive tuition, :moneyflies: but have given your DCs your love in action as a parent - teaching, guiding ... they can surely emulate u for their children down the road. More so, you've not pass the buck to educators that fail our future contributors to society. I salute you again. :salute:

I'm stepping back from direct involvement but looking into more character developmental needs now. Certainly hope the years of guidance would hv helped them exercise independent learning. Can't cope with their higher level of learning as hitting 60 soon & in spite having 2 degrees. This generation learn & interact differently. I just hv to let the string loosen out much more. Do not wish to push them to their brink nor want anymore umbilical cord remnants. :lol:

Estéema
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby laughingcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 am

Esteema.....mostly all thanks to your help and great advice. :snuggles: It was through you that I find hope. Your prayer and your encouragement. Months of struggling and tweaking of schedule and materials and notes - all finally able to see lights at the end of the tunnel. To be honest, it was tough. Yeah! I sailed the boat alone. Hubby only encourage by saying "jia you, you can do it" :pokeeye: He is of the old school type that thinks mum rules the education and nurture.

So now I can say I have finally braved the struggle. The no-tuition for 2 kiddos helped to save the $ and channeled to DC operation. A payment of 5-figure sums not a joke after subsidy. Glad that it was a nightmare that was over. If I were to go over again on the no-tuition portion, I would say a resounding YES......but of course must meet the right person who gave me valuable advice to pick myself up.....and that is YOU.....Thank you Esteema. :please: :love: :celebrate:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm just happy for u that things turned out well. I did very little. Was glad that portion of my materials helped yr young chap. Didn't expect but glad to be a friend and your DCs gave me joy each time I meet them.

There's a limit anyone can do & that's why we need friends & give & receive positive & constructive help rather than a hindrance. It is because there are so many generous KSP parents who shares that I benefitted & prompt me to contribute & pay forward. Without veteran KSP members I cld not hv helped my kids if I'm put in silo cause not much info to grease my engine. So, I do want to give credit but must confess I can't exactly trace back who helped point me to right direction as this is such a big & active community. So I chip in whenever I can.

Now u are my inspiration to encourage other kids and parents to be strong & brave the storm. Mothers always hv more grit. Thro the years I learnt to forgive and take on the mantle to coach my kids, but it is possible to encourage fathers to bond with kids esp boys thro helping abit of coaching. Encourage them fr perspective that it's ano opportunity to bond & give the boys a father figure to emulate hardwork & enjoy his company. When that becomes a pleasure, you don't hv to go alone esp for PSLE. It helps relieve u fr long hours of focus on yr kids. Failing which, u can always call on me. I try my best to be there for you. There's always hope and Someone will send angels of sorts. Solitary prayers helps uplift your spirit too. Take care of yourself and extra hugs for your DCs.

Estéema
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby laughingcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Actually we didn't use the wanglaoshi material at all for the compo. We devise our own to create our uniqueness. Our very own phrases that help to boost his compo and stood out in the crowd. Since almost everybody is using all sort of tuition ctrs material. I want the kiddos to think and inventive and creative. Tweak something that is to their style. Partly thanks to the school teacher who is so willling to do extra. It was a boost of DC morale. Now the younger DC who is typically the lazy type used his korkor. Oh well. :lol:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm

It's good to guide the kids to think out of the box & find new ways to learn.

There's real hope for the future leaders of Spore, u've helped someone to change the way they learn & achieve results. Agree there's no one way to learn, owise we'll all be factory churned robots but no one can lead with sth different. You're ingenious.

Estéema
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phtthp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi piggies (born 2007),

If you intend to DSA by academic route in one year's time (2019 May), note that there had been some minor changes to academic DSA, as shared by ganjiongspider, over here

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 9&start=80

If DSA by academic road :
in the past, one can DSA by any one of the 4 individual academic subjects, you are strong in.

Now, they tend to make it two by two , either by 2 languages together concurrently (ie. Bilingualism), or by (Maths & Science) two subjects combination going together.

Many students find it easier to DSA, by individual one academic subject. But to DSA by tackling 2 subjects concurrently, make it not so simple. Also, this will result in lesser seats taken up by DSA via academic road, if enter by being strong in 2 subjects, instead of need to be strong only in 1 subject, in the past.

With lesser seats taken up by acdemic DSA road, via " now, must be strong in 2-subject combination, not just strong in one subject only implementation", this will lead to more vacancies left behind, for students to enter by the traditional T-score route, based on ranking by merit.

Perhaps this is in line with MOE policy : want to reduce the number of seats taken up (consumed), via DSA academic route, since we already have the PSLE T-score to manage & to control the seats allocation, during S1 posting.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mylulaoshi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 am

laughingcat wrote:Actually we didn't use the wanglaoshi material at all for the compo. We devise our own to create our uniqueness. Our very own phrases that help to boost his compo and stood out in the crowd. Since almost everybody is using all sort of tuition ctrs material. I want the kiddos to think and inventive and creative. Tweak something that is to their style. Partly thanks to the school teacher who is so willling to do extra. It was a boost of DC morale. Now the younger DC who is typically the lazy type used his korkor. Oh well. :lol:

But do keep your child's creativity on string and vet through his expression. Especially Chinese PSLE compo, we local markers (including Eng PSLE Compo) are more conservative. There's still taboos and expressions which aren't accepted in exam I.E ‘没有免费的午餐’ vs '世界上没有不劳而获的事’. I dare not encourage my students to use creative and untrimmed phrases for exam. One who memorized and one who came out with own expression is vast apart. I.E a 自然开头/对话声音开头 would not earn as much language marks as one who digested and applied 回忆开头。

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mylulaoshi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:19 am

Examinations are first started by the Chinese to select Officials in the . This is an Asian system which yellow skinned people adhere to, including Japanese, Koreans. We have the deep rooted culture that one must work hard, be committed and focused on task. 台上一分钟,台下十年功。Singapore particularly has a unique culture of Asians being westernized, and this psychology is losing it's weight in modern parents. Those holding true to this mentality want to impart its precious value to their off springs. This is also fundamentally what 'KIASU' means, doing our best to make sure nothing falls out. And this is what made Singapore what it is over past 50yrs.

If we're talking about PSLE, this is not torture or heartless drilling. They want their kids to take work and commitment seriously and give their best to the society in future. We Chinese start this value from young. Play and relax can take place all they want for 3mths.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE