2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
sweetbaby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:12

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by sweetbaby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you Chenlaoshi ! Very helpful

NicHei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by NicHei » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Hihi
How would you define high As score?
Between the range from 85 to 90?
Thanks

sweetbaby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by sweetbaby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:36 pm

bluepencil wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Dear Parents,

On a different topic, how much screen time are your children allowed daily in the preparation countdown to psle? eg TV or mobile phone. Our children have much pressure from school, teachers, tuition centre teacher, even peers. Maintaining sanity is important. Will be glad if you can share with me, so I can come to an agreement with my child. My child studies very hard...
Hi bluepencil,

I would say depends on your family's priorities and way of life. For our P6 child, we encourage him to enjoy a couple hours of downtime each day. On a normal day, he usually mucks around in the pool with his siblings for an hr and watches tv or plays a board game after dinner. Somedays when he has more free time, he gets to enjoy his chosen activities too.

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:36 pm

thanks for sharing sweetbaby!

we decided on one hr screentime all inclusive mobile tv computer. Child also learn to save or spend the allowance thriftily!
we have found that evenings when we watch abt 25 -30min of good movies it gives us much relief from studying . we escape into a world of star wars etc and work hard each day to savour the evening’s escapism into another world!

chenlaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:26

Post by chenlaoshi » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 pm

chenlaoshi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 pm
Bochapmum3 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 am
chenlaoshi,

Can I check if the list of common oral topics/questions which you posted above - can the full list be found on your website? Have been looking for a compilation like this, but don't seem available in commercially available resources.

Thanks!
Hi Bochapmum3,

The one I posted is an excerpt from one of the Primary School's oral package. Yup, the commercially available ones aren't as comprehensive doesn't cover as many topics. Does your child's school have oral package? They are often being under utilised - i.e. many students just leave them aside ("no related homework/teacher never go through in class = don't need to read" attitude/mentality >_<)

I am still updating my master list (which I personally used with my students/classes) as I am doing an overlapping one for Sec sch CL/HCL. I'll try to post/upload next week once I'm less busy with my holiday workshop matters and after CA1. Hope you won't mind. :)
Hi Bochapmum3, below is a quick summary of most of the topics I cover with students from my regular classes and workshops. May seem like a lot but points/phrases actually overlap across certain topics. Correct answering technique and critical thinking skills when applied, makes it easier for the kids to structure and articulate their thoughts too.
ImageImageImageImageImage

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Post by bluepencil » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Iluvmygals wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm
For PSLE preparation, instead of trying to cover everything, it would be more effective to focus on weak areas and also areas of quick win.

For each subject, identify the weak area, e.g. Chinese....it could be oral, it could be composition, identify the weak area and then have a strategy to improve it. Use CA1 and Prelim to guage if the strategy is working out well. Example, my gals were scoring 27-28/40 for Chinese composition and they usually write only about 3 pages like what they used to do in P5. So I "forced" them to start writing 4 pages by showing them how to lengthen the composition. With that strategy, we saw the marks going up to 31-32/40. So that's a quick win.

Do bear in mind the mental strength of your kids, some kids break under pressure. So please keep a close watch on the kid well being.
Hi Iluvmygals
By writing longer 4 pages, this applies to those whose Chinese is reasonably good ? If your chinese is not so good then if you write long compo, it will become a disadvantage ?? Is your 4 pages full of good phrases. My child tries to memorise, but alas sometimes don't memorise well or complete...

Iluvmygals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Post by Iluvmygals » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 am

bluepencil wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 pm
Iluvmygals wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm
For PSLE preparation, instead of trying to cover everything, it would be more effective to focus on weak areas and also areas of quick win.

For each subject, identify the weak area, e.g. Chinese....it could be oral, it could be composition, identify the weak area and then have a strategy to improve it. Use CA1 and Prelim to guage if the strategy is working out well. Example, my gals were scoring 27-28/40 for Chinese composition and they usually write only about 3 pages like what they used to do in P5. So I "forced" them to start writing 4 pages by showing them how to lengthen the composition. With that strategy, we saw the marks going up to 31-32/40. So that's a quick win.

Do bear in mind the mental strength of your kids, some kids break under pressure. So please keep a close watch on the kid well being.
Hi Iluvmygals
By writing longer 4 pages, this applies to those whose Chinese is reasonably good ? If your chinese is not so good then if you write long compo, it will become a disadvantage ?? Is your 4 pages full of good phrases. My child tries to memorise, but alas sometimes don't memorise well or complete...
For a compo of 40 marks, 20 marks is for content and 20 marks is for language. Only students who are very strong in the chinese language is able to write short precise compo to score well in both content and language. Weaker student who attempt to write a short compo to avoid mistakes in language will tend to lose marks in content as well because the compo will not be well developed and interesting.

The way we attempted to lengthen the compo is to try to improve the content by adding descriptions, conversations and personal thoughts. You don't need alot of good phrases in order to add descriptions, conversations and thoughts. By doing so we saw that we could improve content marks by about 2 points and naturally, language marks also improved by 1-2 points too (maybe because teacher has more length/opportunity to score your language).

I also showed my gals how certain compo themes could be reuse in various scenario, example, we could write a compo on an achievement, that same compo can be reused as a happy event, a memorable event, etc. Just need to change the after thoughts a bit and emphasize the different feelings.

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 am

thanks so much iluvmygals - it makes sense indeed. I remember that even in English, writing short is harder actually than writing long. Goodness i tell my child not to write too long for her chinese compo cos she is weak and then maybe mess up.
ok thanks for the advice will work on it !!