2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 pm

peasants wrote:Parents would most likely standby for the children nice cushion running shoes, cool dri fit attires,cold 100plus and wet towels at the end of 4km mark.
As long as it is daily 4-7km a day, it doesn't matter what parents do. Those nice things will disappear after 3-4 times, trust me. Lol.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by floppy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Dino wrote:Can I ask a qn? Other than extra pts for psle for hcl, is there something else HCL got extra privileges when say like applying for things going into sec 1 or anything else? Otherwise why is everyone so insistent on doing HCL at p6? No offence to anyone but I just really want to know more. My kid is in p5 doing HCL also but really thinking hard now whether to continue at p6......
It's like asking what's the extra benefit of taking A Math when E Math is sufficient in the calculation of L1R5 or L1R2B2. There isn't a course in Poly or Uni that has A Math as a pre-requisite (E Math is generally sufficient). Or pure science, when sub science contributes the same score for the same grade.

At the end of the day, there's no point in taking many of the given subjects if the consideration is only about the 'extra' benefits. In any case, the real benefit of languages is in the user's ability to use it - maybe not now, maybe 10, 20 years down the road (assuming he hasn't lose it).

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by Dino » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:10 pm

It's like asking what's the extra benefit of taking A Math when E Math is sufficient in the calculation of L1R5 or L1R2B2. There isn't a course in Poly or Uni that has A Math as a pre-requisite (E Math is generally sufficient). Or pure science, when sub science contributes the same score for the same grade.

At the end of the day, there's no point in taking many of the given subjects if the consideration is only about the 'extra' benefits. In any case, the real benefit of languages is in the user's ability to use it - maybe not now, maybe 10, 20 years down the road (assuming he hasn't lose it).[/quote]

Ok I get what u mean. Its always better to score well for 4 subjects rather than risk scoring only ok becos of extra burden.

Bochapmum3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Bochapmum3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:20 pm

As results start trickling in, any one planned out their holiday revision schedule? Depends on results? :sweat:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm

_
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 pm

:sweat:

6thisnthat9
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 pm

I read about this before, something about clearing HMT at O level allows the child to skip chinese in JC.
Dino wrote:Can I ask a qn? Other than extra pts for psle for hcl, is there something else HCL got extra privileges when say like applying for things going into sec 1 or anything else? Otherwise why is everyone so insistent on doing HCL at p6? No offence to anyone but I just really want to know more. My kid is in p5 doing HCL also but really thinking hard now whether to continue at p6......

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:I read about this before, something about clearing HMT at O level allows the child to skip chinese in JC.
Dino wrote:Can I ask a qn?

Other than extra pts for psle for hcl, is there something else HCL got extra privileges when say like applying for things going into sec 1 or anything else? Otherwise why is everyone so insistent on doing HCL at p6? No offence to anyone but I just really want to know more. My kid is in p5 doing HCL also but really thinking hard now whether to continue at p6......
Clearing HMT in Year 4 : applies to both (IP and O-level) students.

After clearing HMT, no burden by Chinese in JC1 anymore. One less subject to handle, means more relief !

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Post by chenlaoshi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 pm

phtthp wrote:
6thisnthat9 wrote:I read about this before, something about clearing HMT at O level allows the child to skip chinese in JC.

Other than extra pts for psle for hcl, is there something else HCL got extra privileges when say like applying for things going into sec 1 or anything else? Otherwise why is everyone so insistent on doing HCL at p6? No offence to anyone but I just really want to know more. My kid is in p5 doing HCL also but really thinking hard now whether to continue at p6......

After clearing HMT, no burden by Chinese in JC1 anymore. One less subject to handle, means more relief !
I posted some links in earlier pages of this thread (https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 0#p1881381) Meanwhile, from MOE's Secondary One Posting handbook:
"[Additional information: If your child obtains a grade of A1 to C6 for both English and HMTL at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination and qualifies for admission to a Junior College (JC)/Millennia Institute (MI), they will be given a concession of two points in their application to the JC/MI of their choice through the Joint Admissions Exercise (JAE).]"

http://petunialee.blogspot.com/2013/10/ ... r-not.html
The Husband's Reasons for Insisting
Children who take Higher Chinese in primary school are allowed to continue with Higher Chinese in secondary school. Once one has cleared Higher Chinese by Secondary 4, one does not need to do Chinese in Junior College. This frees up 2 hours (at least) of curriculum time for CCAs and other subjects... ...

After a while, I began to see the obvious thing and I began to marvel at The Husband's wisdom. Higher Chinese and normal Chinese are both the same language. Our efforts in improving Little Boy's true competence in Chinese through reading, listening and writing a lot of Chinese, also paid off vis-a-vis Higher Chinese... ...

Eventually, even though we didn't do any Higher Chinese practice papers, Little Boy still passed Higher Chinese at his PSLE. I would definitely advise parents to sign their children up for Higher Chinese if the school proposes it. If you're looking at just a PASS, there are advantages without any extra work. And if you fail, so what? The score is not included in the PSLE T-Score.

So, it's a good deal. You pay the price (in workload) for normal Chinese and you get Higher Chinese free.
http://hedgehogcomms.blogspot.com/2014/ ... tions.html
What I don't get though, is why Mother Tongue continues to be given special treatment. No, Chinese Nazis! I'm not saying Chinese is not important! Of course learning Chinese is important. But consider this: at PSLE, those who ace Higher Chinese are given two extra points for SAP schools. Which I accept as fair cos it's only two points and only for Chinese schools. But then comes 'O' levels and those who pass Higher Mother Tongue (HMT) are given two extra points for admission to JC.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me that two points for JC admission is a WORLD of difference from two points at PSLE. Cut off point to the top JCs is in single digits. Two points can be as much as 33.3% of your L1R5 score! The message is this: HMT is not just important, it is the MOST important subject. Why not special recognition for English? Or Maths? Or Science? To me, this is baffling.
https://www.todayonline.com/voices/bonu ... -justified
I refer to the letter “2-point concession to Higher Mother Tongue students unfair” (Feb 2).

The bonus-point criteria based on first-language scores is justified, as they are based on merit.

Those two bonus points that are awarded to Higher Mother Tongue (HMT) students come with a price.

Firstly, students have to score very well in their Mother Tongue in their PSLE, or their Mother Tongue exams in secondary levels, in order to qualify for HMT. Secondly, HMT students have to cope with the demands of the subject. They have to take additional papers (Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3, which is the Oral Communication Paper) during their GCE O-Levels.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by peasants » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 pm

phtthp wrote:

Correct! I totally forgotten that this is one of the reasons why DD1 persisted to continue HMT even after she got a 28/60 back in P5.