2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Post by floppy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 am

peasants wrote:
phtthp wrote:
6thisnthat9 wrote:I read about this before, something about clearing HMT at O level allows the child to skip chinese in JC.
Clearing HMT in Year 4 : applies to both (IP and O-level) students.

After clearing HMT, no burden by Chinese in JC1 anymore. One less subject to handle, means more relief !
Correct! I totally forgotten that this is one of the reasons why DD1 persisted to continue HMT even after she got a 28/60 back in P5.
However, you don't need HMT in pri school to take HMT in sec school.
If to begin with, HMT in pri school is weak, not sure how beneficial and useful would it be if student has to struggle through another 4 years of HMT in sec school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:325

Post by ChiefKiasu » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, people underestimate the burden of learning Chinese at A-Levels, if you do not take HMT. I'm surprised the burden lasted so long... !

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by Dino » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 am

It seems like there are 2 camps to whether to take HCL. Tks for all the different views =)

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Post by floppy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Dino wrote:It seems like there are 2 camps to whether to take HCL. Tks for all the different views =)
I think both camps reach quite similar conclusion actually.

If you are doing well (> 50%) in HCL, no reason for you to discontinue.
If you are struggling with HCL (<50%), no reason for you to continue, especially if it comes at the expanse of your other subjects.

The bonus marks for HCL is only useful if you are applying to SAP sec schools, useless everywhere else.
The waiver of CL requirement for A-Level only applies if you complete / pass HCL exams at O-Level, i.e. at the end of 4 more years, not PSLE. Dropping out of the subject halfway in sec school don't count (and if you are struggling with HCL, I can foresee that it will take up time and impact the rest of the other 6 to 7 O-Level subjects).

coast
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by coast » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:56 pm

floppy wrote:
Dino wrote:It seems like there are 2 camps to whether to take HCL. Tks for all the different views =)

If you are struggling with HCL (<50%), no reason for you to continue, especially if it comes at the expanse of your other subjects.

The bonus marks for HCL is only useful if you are applying to SAP sec schools, useless everywhere else.
The waiver of CL requirement for A-Level only applies if you complete / pass HCL exams at O-Level, i.e. at the end of 4 more years, not PSLE. Dropping out of the subject halfway in sec school don't count (and if you are struggling with HCL, I can foresee that it will take up time and impact the rest of the other 6 to 7 O-Level subjects).
Some students/ parents may have the misconception that taking HCL means extra subject (workload). It may be true for certain schools (e.g., additional afternoon HCL classes, homework). My DS told me that the P6 CL class had much more homework compared to his HCL class. The hours of CL and HCL classes were the same. So for those doing well in CL/ HCL, you may want to check with the school before dropping HCL for workload reasons.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Post by peasants » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 pm

floppy wrote:

However, you don't need HMT in pri school to take HMT in sec school.
If to begin with, HMT in pri school is weak, not sure how beneficial and useful would it be if student has to struggle through another 4 years of HMT in sec school.
This is exactly what the form teacher told her back then, in a realistic "You can't make it."
As average working parents, we dun have excess time or cash to handle her like a fragile vase. We watched as HMT flunk, along with Science and Maths.

I remember I made her run often in the stadium. i told her what can be worse than struggling to breathe? Anyway, she made it into IP and coming to year 4. She once told me she would run the school track often during year 1 & 2 by herself. So I think it is not without struggle,but which success doesn't come with that?
Last edited by peasants on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:58

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 pm

coast wrote:
floppy wrote:

Some students/ parents may have the misconception that taking HCL means extra subject (workload). It may be true for certain schools (e.g., additional afternoon HCL classes, homework). My DS told me that the P6 CL class had much more homework compared to his HCL class. The hours of CL and HCL classes were the same. So for those doing well in CL/ HCL, you may want to check with the school before dropping HCL for workload reasons.
I agree with the first sentence. The same is true for Sec sch CL vs. HCL. Generally, the students get exposed to more types of questions and components but these will ultimately help in their CL too. For example, in HCL's 实用文 (email writing), the student gets exposed to email writing in response to forum thread [articulation of views, which in turn helps in oral and email & discursive/argumentative writing] while there is an editing section in paper 2 [grammar will improve and he/she will be able to edit his/her work too] as well as paragraph summarization question in comprehension section [works on analysis & grammar].

Of course, each child is unique so what works for one might not work for another. However, as coast suggested, it is advisable to gather more information from school teachers and feedback from 过来人 before making concrete decision, rather than just based on scores/grades and/or perception. :)
Last edited by chenlaoshi on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by Dino » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Can I ask another qn. Assuming the kid is good with chinese, no problem with HCL, but simply choose to drop HCL at PSLE. How difficult is it for this kid to take back HCL at sec if he wants to, compared to another kid who has done HCL at PSLE?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MyPillow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Dino wrote:Can I ask another qn. Assuming the kid is good with chinese, no problem with HCL, but simply choose to drop HCL at PSLE. How difficult is it for this kid to take back HCL at sec if he wants to, compared to another kid who has done HCL at PSLE?
Boy or girl ?
Check out SAP Sch if possible /permit .- Maris Stella High , Nanchiau high , nanhua high, cath high, Anglican high etc I heard the Sch has authority to offer hcl to their students even they dun take high MT in pri sch
Go to the open house n check out
Last edited by MyPillow on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:308

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Dino wrote:Can I ask another qn. Assuming the kid is good with chinese, no problem with HCL, but simply choose to drop HCL at PSLE. How difficult is it for this kid to take back HCL at sec if he wants to, compared to another kid who has done HCL at PSLE?
firstly, is your 2019 P6 child targeting an SAP school, an O-level school or an IP school ?

If he is targeting IP (A-level) school : most IP schools prefer (require) their Sec 1 students to do Higher Chinese. In fact, IP schools strongly encourage students to clear HMT, at end of Year 4, so that having dropped one subject at National exam, students will have more time to focus (concentrate), on their JC1 subjects. The reality is (no matter how one try to argue), if one can drop one subject at JC1, is a great relief, because most (majority) of IP students tend to take 4 H2 A-level subjects, which is a heavy subject combination. So, enough time to study, is of essence, in Junior Colleges, because everyone want to do well at A-level, be able to enter their desired, ideal dream faculty course of study, in the university subsequently (eventually).

This means even if P6 students had not done Higher Chinese at PSLE in primary school before, IP (A-level) schools normally tend to waive aside, ie. just let Sec 1 students take HCL. At end of Year 2 (or Sec 2), if students really can't cope having tried out Higher Chinese for 2 years, they are free to drop back to Normal Chinese, if they wish.

The same situation, arise (happen to) in SAP Secondary schools (whether IP, or O-level SAP schools). Still, it is best to clarify (confirm) with respective SAP schools' Chinese HOD. The only thing to note, is that if one is exempted from PSLE Chinese, student cannot enter any SAP school, at Secondary 1 level.

If enter by PSLE T-score (not by DSA) into SAP schools, there are certain requirements (criteria), to gain admission. But Sec 1 pupil (after admission) can appeal to SAP schools' HOD, to study HCL. If having tried out in Sec 1 for one full year and and still unable to cope, pupil can drop back to Normal Chinese later. SAP schools, similar to IP schools, also encourage pupils to clear HMT, by end of Sec 4.

However, the last category is : Non-SAP, O-level schools (ie. Non-IP as well).
Even though they are ordinary O-level schools, however there are still a number of students keen to clear HMT, by end of Sec 4 too, particularly if they are targeting Junior-College road, ie. the Non-Polytechnic route. Ah! For this category, need to check with individual school : as some schools are rather particular, in that if the PSLE slip indicate that student able to proceed with HCL in Secondary, then they allow. Otherwise, they won't. However, if a pupil under this category (normal O-level, Non-SAP school) happen to do well in Normal Chinese at end of Sec 1, not sure if they allowed to do HCL at Sec 2. This part, again best to clarify with the respective O-level, Non-SAP school Chinese HOD. Different O-level schools, may have different rule, concerning HCL. Can attend open-house, to clarify.

Bottom line is, must know which category of school you are entering, at Sec 1.

Earlier, someone asked an important qn : what is the attraction, to clear HMT at Year 4 (something like that) ?
the attractions are :-

1) alleviate the burden of having to study an extra subject (Mother tongue), at JC1 level, so that can divert the time spent onto your core H2 A-level subjects,

And

2) this attraction apply to O-level candidates only, because no impact to IP-students.

By clearing HMT at Sec 4, can minus off 2 bonus points, to gain admission into a JC.
Is this important ? Perhaps judge, for yourself.

example

Suppose a JC Cut-off-point admission, is 9 points (eg. into Eunoia Junior College).
But say, your original Raw score is 13 points (L1 R5).

If minus away 2 points from Cca : left only 11 points.
Can enter EJC ? No cannot, because 11 cannot meet 9 points entry.

So how ?
If you had not cleared HMT in Sec 4, Sorry, cannot enter Eunoia JC.

But, if had cleared HMT, different story. Situation tilt to your advantage, now
13 - 2 -2 = 9, just hit the admission point into EJC, right on the very dot. Can enter now !
How come now, you can enter Eunoia JC?

It is your own, hardworking, persistent perseverance clearance of HMT at end of Sec 4, that had paid off and eventually rescued (saved) yourself !

This explains why many O-level candidates, are keen to try their best clear HMT asap, if they are heading for JC. Furthermore, entry into JCs nowadays are getting more challenging, more competitive, especially with lesser, fewer JCs now, compared to the past, due to merging of JCs.

But if heading for Polytechnic, no need to be bothered by Higher Chinese.

In Sg, there are far more, greater number of O-level Secondary schools, than the Total number of IP Secondary schools, added up. The number of O-level students (candidates), sitting for National O-level exam, form a very big pool.