2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:182

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by phtthp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

under MOE new announced changes, eg. let only those (P4s and P6s) students take mid-year exam, while the rest of all other levels all can skip SA1 mid-year , seems like some schools encountered some hiccup ...

today is Term 2, week #3

for 2019 P6 students, many primary schools are going to start (Chinese / English) Oral, mid-year exam (SA1), either in week #5 (end of the month, April 2019), or in week #6 (Labor day, public holiday, that week).

All Main Papers (eg. Paper 2) for the 4 core subjects (English / Maths / Science / Chinese / Higher Chinese), commence in week #8 (the week, starting from 13 May Monday to 17 May 2019 Friday)

week 9 : Teachers to return all the marked exam scripts to P6 students, to verify (check) score (marks), before enter into Report card

week 10 : schools conduct "P6 Parents-meet-Teachers" Conference day, before June holiday start

Are there any SAP (or Non-SAP) schools, that skip 2019 P6 mid-year (SA1) exam : (Oral and Listening Comprehension Paper 3 and Paper 4, plus Composition / zuowen Paper 1) components ?

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Our school does not skip any Sa1 component.

It’s all coming soon.

On a side note, is the myopia of anyone’s child climbing like some stock market from all this studying?

My child just changed her soecs in Feb and now she tells me she starts to have difficulty seeing the whiteboard in school. So this is the price we pay for results ... its sad

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by sweetbaby » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm

bluepencil wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

It’s all coming soon.

On a side note, is the myopia of anyone’s child climbing like some stock market from all this studying?

My child just changed her soecs in Feb and now she tells me she starts to have difficulty seeing the whiteboard in school. So this is the price we pay for results ... its sad
hi bluepencil

We are fortunate DC doesnt require Spec though both parents are blind as a bat. We encourage them to practise healthy eyesight habits like studying in a well lit room or taking regular eye breaks. They dont really use screen time often and prefer to be outdoors. But P6 is definitely a hectic year for us!

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi sweetbaby

thanks for the suggestions. how lucky your child does not need specs.
I feel my child problem is studying too long in a day. school, supplementary sch lesson, tuition, homework . cos we really want to do our best.
i feel sorry for my child.

We do take short break but its not outdoor, maybe thats why.

It’s like when child has settled into studying its hard to pull away. i guess we really need to force ourselves to step out

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by Schootopia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:10 am

bluepencil wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

It’s all coming soon.

If myopic progression is serious, you can seek help from the pediatric ophthalmologists at SNEC.

https://www.snec.com.sg/patient-care/co ... ood-myopia

https://www.snec.com.sg/research-innova ... ups/myopia

They can better advise on your particular case.

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by sweetbaby » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi All !

If we are to rate school prelims papers in terms of difficulty, which schools are generally known for:

Challenging English:

Challenging Maths:

Challenging Science:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by laughingcat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pm

sweetbaby, it really depends year to year leh. Last year unexpectedly, some xx schools' papers across all subjects were relatively easy. So it really depend. Some kids will deem average, some kids will deem difficult. So best to go through the papers yourself and gauge your child's level. That will be more prudent. Rather than trying out a paper which deem too difficult and put the child down.

Or another perspective, why not target on those questions/concept that your child is weak in. And zoom into those papers with that specific question type.

chenlaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:28

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm

chenlaoshi wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm
MrsKiasu wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 pm
chenlaoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Students can use these 2 list to sieve out the words they do not know (or know well enough) from the Primary CL syllabus.

Download links can be found here.

Some schools are already beginning SA1 Oral examinations this week. Time for 'battle' :lol: :rahrah:
thank you chenlaoshi, I think the lists are very helpful..are these P4 to P6 words to know or they are just P6?
Hi Mrs Kiasu,

The list are for the entire Primary CL syllabus. :smile:

On a side note, the topic for one of the school's CL oral that has been conducted is "being inconsiderate in the library".

【Chen Lao Shi's June 2019 School Holiday Chinese Language Workshops】 --> Find out more here
CL oral topic from another school - helping with household chores
- Do you think what the boy did was right?
- How do you help out in the family?
- Some feel that kids are too young to handle household chores, do you agree?
- If someone from your family dislike doing household chores, how would you persuade him/her?

Meanwhile, English oral topic from that same school was on healthy lifestyle (choose between margarine and jam).

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by sweetbaby » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 pm

laughingcat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pm
sweetbaby, it really depends year to year leh. Last year unexpectedly, some xx schools' papers across all subjects were relatively easy. So it really depend. Some kids will deem average, some kids will deem difficult. So best to go through the papers yourself and gauge your child's level. That will be more prudent. Rather than trying out a paper which deem too difficult and put the child down.

Or another perspective, why not target on those questions/concept that your child is weak in. And zoom into those papers with that specific question type.
Thanks for the tip!
I will look through some papers following your suggestion.

Virgng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Virgng » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:13 pm

St. Andrew’s Secondary School Open Day for those keen to DSA into SASS.

https://www.facebook.com/90873503250069 ... 11?sfns=mo