2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by MyPillow » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:44 pm
I think PSLE parents are so stressed...I mean, to sweat over the number of decimal places!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
can b important coz
it is the last decimal/number that determine who is the last kid to get into the sch mah - under current system

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by floppy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:53 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
I think PSLE parents are so stressed...I mean, to sweat over the number of decimal places!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
can b important coz
it is the last decimal/number that determine who is the last kid to get into the sch mah - under current system
Yes. Every point counts :lol:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm

but there's nothing we can do about it...except to pray you are not the sway one that come after the last kid

Arise SG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Arise SG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm

floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:30 pm
Arise SG wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm
Thank you for the link. This would be good to show the principals. Could you also provide an official link to show that T scores are calculated to the decimals instead of anecdotal evidence?

"What if two students have the same score?
Singapore Citizens have priority in the case of a tied score. Between two students with the same citizenship, a tie is resolved by a computerised ballot with an equal chance for each student."

I question this quote then. Why does MOE have to come up with this if T scores really had decimal places? In 1 of the threads here in KSP named All about T scores, parents claim up to 13 decimal places. There would be no possibility of ties in this case and thus MOE should not have needed to come up with the above quote.
From Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB), calculating the t-score:

How is the Subject T-Score computed?

For standard subjects, we apply the following formula:

where x is the candidate’s mark for the subject Q
m is the average mark (mean) scored by all the candidates
s is the spread of the marks around the average mark (standard deviation)

I don't know what's the number of decimal places used but it's not possible to get a rounded t-score mathematically unless we round up / down the number.

But whatever it is, RANK CHOICE DOES NOT MATTER :wink:
Actually, as teachers, we present this yearly to the parents of the P6 cohort and yes I understand that using that formula, T score cannot be a rounded number. I am with you regarding "merit over choice".

However, whether students are ranked based on their T scores with decimals or without is still up for contention and I doubt MOE would actually release any information regarding this. Which means that our previous examples wouldn't stand because there were no decimals to begin with. Otherwise, the quote taken from the link I provided from MOE wouldn't make sense because centralised balloting with equal chance for students with tied scores won't even be needed. just rank accordingly with T score to the xth decimal.

Arise SG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Arise SG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm
but there's nothing we can do about it...except to pray you are not the sway one that come after the last kid
As a teacher, I would like to tell all parents here, once you're placing so much emphasis on grades and T score counting, you have already lost. Not that grades are not important. Grades should only be used as feedback to help our children improve themselves. Also, if you spent less time counting T scores and use this few extra hours to think about how to create a more ideal environment (like specific positive praise, or rethinking achievable goals for your child to aspire towards) for your child to feel more motivated and confident, I assure you that you return on investment of time would be way higher.

Seeing grades as the most important outcome places our children in the wrong perspective.

1)They become result-oriented vs process-oriented and the process is so important in education.

2) They study instead of learn. How many times has your child told you they have already forgotten most of the things they've studied once the exam is over?

3) They are afraid of making mistakes. I could write a whole thesis on this but in summary, creativity dies here. Self-motivation dies here (by the way, presents to reward good grades don't work). Confidence dies here. Things get worse if you scold them for making mistakes.

4) growth mindset vs fixed mindset. https://www.developgoodhabits.com/fixed ... h-mindset/ every parent should read this and if you meet teachers who tell you grades are the most important, it is because their principals are pressing them for KPI and because of KPI, not all teachers would do the "right" thing. I have a kid who scores 80+ regularly when she first joined me but doesn't know what a noun or a verb is. This is because teachers just drill the kids over and over again until they know the answer but they don't know why that is the answer. How many times has your kid told you "it sounds right so I chose it". That is a recipe for disaster.

I feel that the education system is funneling all of us down the wrong path of raising our children which was why I left recently to start up a community in hopes of educating everyone my perspectives on parenting because I've been hearing too many similar complaints during Parent-Teacher Conferences regarding issues of motivation, fear, etc.
You may use my classroom rules and apply them to your household. I hope this blesses all parents here and I wish that your children will grow up to be more confident and motivated adults.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Arise SG wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm

As a teacher, I would like to tell all parents here, once you're placing so much emphasis on grades and T score counting, you have already lost. Not that grades are not important. Grades should only be used as feedback to help our children improve themselves. Also, if you spent less time counting T scores and use this few extra hours to think about how to create a more ideal environment (like specific positive praise, or rethinking achievable goals for your child to aspire towards) for your child to feel more motivated and confident, I assure you that you return on investment of time would be way higher.
Don't disagree with what you say but you are preaching to the wrong crowd here. This is KSP, where every points and every advantage counts :lol:

Moreover, most of the KSP kids are high achievers (not mine :laugh: ). Discussion about scores in the 250s, 260s and securing DSAs make such endeavours look like a walk in a park. I don't think there's a lack of motivation or fear here (ok, maybe fear of not entering their dream R / HC school) :wink:

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by Imp75 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm

floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Arise SG wrote:

Don't disagree with what you say but you are preaching to the wrong crowd here. This is KSP, where every points and every advantage counts :lol:

Moreover, most of the KSP kids are high achievers (not mine :laugh: ). Discussion about scores in the 250s, 260s and securing DSAs make such endeavours look like a walk in a park. I don't think there's a lack of motivation or fear here (ok, maybe fear of not entering their dream R / HC school) :wink:
Unfortunately reality is that the school placement exercise places the emphasis solely on grades henceforth the outcome only.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm
floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Arise SG wrote:

Unfortunately reality is that the school placement exercise places the emphasis solely on grades henceforth the outcome only.
*ouch*

Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Vevey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:23 pm

"“At the age of 12, one examination, four papers and you want to measure the child to so many decimal points... a distinction which is meaningless, too fine to make,” he said."

Guess who is "he"? :evil:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... years-time
Arise SG wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm
Thank you for the link. This would be good to show the principals. Could you also provide an official link to show that T scores are calculated to the decimals instead of anecdotal evidence?

"What if two students have the same score?
Singapore Citizens have priority in the case of a tied score. Between two students with the same citizenship, a tie is resolved by a computerised ballot with an equal chance for each student."

I question this quote then. Why does MOE have to come up with this if T scores really had decimal places? In 1 of the threads here in KSP named All about T scores, parents claim up to 13 decimal places. There would be no possibility of ties in this case and thus MOE should not have needed to come up with the above quote.

Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Vevey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes. Personal experience.

Eldest met cop but didn't get posted to the school.

Could have appealed since met cop but we decided not to because
his posted school is perfect except that it is not IP.

A v tough decision for a 12yo to make that morning but he seemed sure and relieved. That was good enough for us.

Would we regret the decision?
We might nv know, hopefully.

That's life.
MyPillow wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
can b important coz