How to teach key words concept in P6 Sc?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

How to teach key words concept in P6 Sc?

Postby millan » Wed May 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi, My girl is in P6 nw. I noted she can do Booklet A well but not in Booklet B. She say she knows the answer but could not get the keyword right. Any advice pls? Thks

millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to teach key words concept in P6 Sc?

Postby FootprintLeaver » Wed May 20, 2015 6:52 pm

millan wrote:Hi, My girl is in P6 nw. I noted she can do Booklet A well but not in Booklet B. She say she knows the answer but could not get the keyword right. Any advice pls? Thks

Need to know if it is specific to any topic or in general.

You need to know which concept each question is testing, then remember and state the key words for that concept is. State the concept then apply it in the scenario then link.

IMHO There are a few good books that give good suggested answers with keywords in bold. Best to go through revision topic by topic and cover the FAQ so that you don't miss out any important questions.

Hope it helps

FootprintLeaver
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jennyksl » Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm

FootprintLeaver wrote:
IMHO There are a few good books that give good suggested answers with keywords in bold. Best to go through revision topic by topic and cover the FAQ so that you don't miss out any important questions.

Hope it helps

can recommend the good books?

jennyksl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby AdonciaTang » Thu May 21, 2015 2:29 am

jennyksl wrote:
FootprintLeaver wrote:

Hope it helps

one of the books that can be used for revising is the my pals pale revision guide book. its also widely used by her school teachers n tutor.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby FootprintLeaver » Thu May 21, 2015 1:02 pm

jennyksl wrote:
FootprintLeaver wrote:

Hope it helps

I thought the sharing by parent GreenA in the following link was quite useful.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ce+gear+up

Besides the books recommended by her, I also like Janet Sim's series as the key words are highlighted in her answer keys.

However, if your child is taking psle this year, he or she may be overwhelmed if you get all the books.

Back to the basics, the key concepts must be at his/her fingertips. I find the Orange PSLE science guide book very useful.

i may have many books but I don't make my children do all the questions in these books as some may be repetitive and it will not be productive. I select questions that I think are important and that they may not know yet and ask them...I made them tell me the answers rather than write, and if they are not complete, eg some keywords missing, I made them repeat until they get it right. Ya some memorising but it helps. They know how to go about answering the questions when they come across similar ones. A few of these questions may also come under my FAQ list so that we can revise again the next round. I jot down some FAQ on post it notes and paste the notes under the corresponding topic in the Orange book.

We do this every time before CAs and SAs. Go through key concepts topic by topic then FAQ. At times throw in a few slightly more challenging questions and see if they can answer...

At times my children will revise the Orange Science Guide book on their own and read through those post it notes on their own.

Hope it helps. However, what works for my children may not work for all.

All the best!

FootprintLeaver
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE