How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

How much does your child score in listening comprehension? ( First class only)

19-20
8
57%
17-18
1
7%
14-16
3
21%
11-13
0
No votes
<10
2
14%
 
Total votes : 14

How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby faithfuldad123 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 pm

:dancing: My son is very weak in English listening comprehension. His record was only 16. His English is actually very good. For paper 2 he once got 92/95 and compo 39/40, oral being 30/30 but listening only 12/20. Actully he is just weak in those questions which require inferring. Any tips for improving listening comprehension? He fares well for chinese 听力。 :thankyou:

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:59 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby CatMoon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 pm

You can check out Listening Comprehension booklets which comes with CDs at Popular - spoken by a local reader. You can also check out a few websites but the readers are not local.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby faithfuldad123 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:26 pm

CatMoon wrote:You can check out Listening Comprehension booklets which comes with CDs at Popular - spoken by a local reader. You can also check out a few websites but the readers are not local.

I bought tons of them and none worked. PLEASE I NEED DESPERATE HELP PRELIM HE ACTUALLY GOT 8

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:59 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:57 pm

faithfuldad123 wrote:
CatMoon wrote:You can check out Listening Comprehension booklets which comes with CDs at Popular - spoken by a local reader. You can also check out a few websites but the readers are not local.

I bought tons of them and none worked. PLEASE I NEED DESPERATE HELP PRELIM HE ACTUALLY GOT 8

I don't have actual experience, but just a thought. Since you say it's the inferential questions that he is weak in, have you been through the questions with him and helped him work through them? There is probably a pattern and consistency in the ones he finds difficult, so you may need to help him devise some sort of strategy for those. Does he have any auditory processing difficulties which makes him slower or less able to decode info he hears (as opposed to info he reads)?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby faithfuldad123 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:06 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
faithfuldad123 wrote:
CatMoon wrote:You can check out Listening Comprehension booklets which comes with CDs at Popular - spoken by a local reader. You can also check out a few websites but the readers are not local.

I bought tons of them and none worked. PLEASE I NEED DESPERATE HELP PRELIM HE ACTUALLY GOT 8

I don't have actual experience, but just a thought. Since you say it's the inferential questions that he is weak in, have you been through the questions with him and helped him work through them? There is probably a pattern and consistency in the ones he finds difficult, so you may need to help him devise some sort of strategy for those. Does he have any auditory processing difficulties which makes him slower or less able to decode info he hears (as opposed to info he reads)?

Yes. I drill him with many such questions and explained them. However they don't work

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:59 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:12 pm

faithfuldad123 wrote:Yes. I drill him with many such questions and explained them. However they don't work

Is his comprehension of such questions OK when he sees the passage and questions in writing? If so, then it's not a comprehension issue. In that case, you may want to investigate if he has some auditory processing or hearing issue?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby faithfuldad123 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:52 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
faithfuldad123 wrote:Yes. I drill him with many such questions and explained them. However they don't work

Is his comprehension of such questions OK when he sees the passage and questions in writing? If so, then it's not a comprehension issue. In that case, you may want to investigate if he has some auditory processing or hearing issue?

:gloomy: No if that is the case why can he score in simple referral questions? I am very worried PSLE is in september 19 and he can still give me a score of 8 for prelim when his friends are getting full mark. As I said before he is very good in paper 2 and composition. I need help. Know any tutors experienced in teaching specially for PSLE English listening?

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:59 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 am

faithfuldad123 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
faithfuldad123 wrote:Yes. I drill him with many such questions and explained them. However they don't work

Is his comprehension of such questions OK when he sees the passage and questions in writing? If so, then it's not a comprehension issue. In that case, you may want to investigate if he has some auditory processing or hearing issue?

:gloomy: No if that is the case why can he score in simple referral questions? I am very worried PSLE is in september 19 and he can still give me a score of 8 for prelim when his friends are getting full mark. As I said before he is very good in paper 2 and composition. I need help. Know any tutors experienced in teaching specially for PSLE English listening?

Have you spoken to his school teacher? I don't know about tutors - maybe someone else can help you.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 am

faithfuldad123

Some children struggle with listening comprehension because of relatively poor short-term memory. You might want to investigate whether your son can readily hold information in short-term memory. For instance, ask him to count backwards in three's from thirty; recite the days of the week backwards; memorise an eight-digit phone number.

If short-term memory is the issue, then the most immediate way to help ameliorate it is to train your son to be relaxed yet highly attentive during listening comprehension exercises. As the teacher speaks, your son should try to visualise what is going on.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm
Total Likes: 20


Re: How to improve listening comprehension (ENG)?

Postby phtthp » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 pm

if short term memory is the issue, any way to train child to overcome problem ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13895
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 69


Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE