How to improve English Comprehension Cloze, Synthesis?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

How to improve English Comprehension Cloze, Synthesis?

Postby PlayfulFairy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Anyone can share tips on compre cloze and synthesis? DD still can't score beyond 3 marks and PSLE is in a month's time....

Thanks!

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to improve English Comprehension Cloze, Synthesis?

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi PlayfulFairy

The bad news: It’s a bit late to do substantial work on these areas, especially S&T as there are so many possibilities. My philosophy is that what gets students high marks in English examinations is a deep understanding of the subject that has been built up and nurtured over time. I am extremely sceptical of short-cut workshops and the like that promise miracles.

The good news: We can try.

a). Comprehension cloze

Not knowing anything else about your daughter, I would target vocabulary development. Look at cloze passages in assessment books filled in with the provided answers. Have a decent dictionary (preferably one with example sentences) and a thesaurus to hand. Have your daughter look up each answer in the dictionary she does not understand, including the various forms of the word (noun, verb, adjective etc); and look up the synonyms and antonyms for the word in the thesaurus.

b). S&T

I like the Synthesis and Transformation books by Marshall Cavendish. Author is Toh Weng Choy, if I remember correctly. Buy the P4, P5 and P6 editions and have your daughter read the notes for each unit. The explanations and examples are really good. Don’t bother so much with doing the exercises as it would be time-consuming. Just read the notes over and over again repeatedly.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cathryntan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

:boogie: Click Here to find out the PSLE English Tips on the 8 Types of Comprehension Questions.

cathryntan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cathryntan » Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 pm

You can goto this blog to find out the 8 Types of Comprehension Questions @
http://tuitionenglish.blogspot.sg/2016/03/psle-english-tips-8-types-of.html

cathryntan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE