Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

2018 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (Born in 2006)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

Re: 2018 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (Born in 2006)

Postby love1001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Regardless boys or girls, all like SYT. Lifespan of female teachers is short, maybe by 40 years old, demand start to drop. :sweat:

love1001
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby laughingcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Interesting sharing. I might need to change my strategy. Maybe pump DC2 to the limit. Compo and regular class for English. The problem is which center on compo?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yuna » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:16 pm

What is SYT?

Yuna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby laughingcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Sweet Young Thing :evil:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 am

So far I’ve yet to find a English tuition centre willing to do a 3 hour all in one class like 汪老师whereby a compo and compre is done each and every week. Somehow non of them believe all components can be covered effectively in 3 hours; not sure why. Perhaps also from a vendor perspective, if I can earn your money twice by splitting up the paper 1 and 2 class, why not right. Also don’t seem to be able to find a centre that can teach both paper 1 and 2 equally well; somehow either the centre is stronger in compo or paper 2, but not both. Or maybe I too fussy?! :laugh: :siam:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 am

FLD.....I feel you. :cry: Likewise I cannot find a single center that can teach all Eng components reasonably well. 2 hrs cannot cover all English components.Some centers no homework after follow up from the weekly lesson. To be honest, 3 hrs also not enough. :faint:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:52 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:So far I’ve yet to find a English tuition centre willing to do a 3 hour all in one class like 汪老师whereby a compo and compre is done each and every week. Somehow non of them believe all components can be covered effectively in 3 hours; not sure why. Perhaps also from a vendor perspective, if I can earn your money twice by splitting up the paper 1 and 2 class, why not right. Also don’t seem to be able to find a centre that can teach both paper 1 and 2 equally well; somehow either the centre is stronger in compo or paper 2, but not both. Or maybe I too fussy?! :laugh: :siam:

FLD,

You're not fussy. Parents hope & wants one-stop solution. It's not easy marking, correcting/coaching a child's essay, where u need to help the child to bring all prior knowledge of English elements & literary skills together in the learning journey.

Like what laughingcat always highlight, that the language takes a long time to train & honing the skills in every element takes time & practice. That's where I found I need my child to close gaps not that I'm focus on my kids to get perfect score but to grasp all English elements well as foundation. That's wher I find Academia ustood my needs & their worksheets covers comprehensively to incl Grammar, Cloze Passages, S&T, Situationsl Writings, & Compre.& supplement regular extensive lists of vocabulary, grammar, etc to encourage kids to learn & keep reviewing basics to reinforce foundation. I end up having a ultra-thick stack of worksheet materials for one year!

For 汪 they regularly test the kids 听写 & 默写 a lot like English vocab & grammar list & I think it's good to keep our kids on regular practice to build their foundation. My own observation is that our kids mostly do not perform in the Chinese language as well as English. Only the diligent & happy learners achieve abit more thro sheer hard work. Typical pri child just find learning Chinese language a lawfully tedious subj to avoid if they can get away with.

So, as parents we've to guide our kids thro the hard work & help them break down bite size work. Maybe see it on positive side that seeking help for diff components help them focus skills learning better?

Not easy mummy FLD, but I know you're very actively helping yr DD thro constructive work & giving her yr full support. 加油! One more year & u're free!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 am

Sorry to jump in here. I admit I do not know about what is needed at P6 level for compos. But, I am on the email list for Writing Samurai, which sends me (what seems to be) very useful tips for creative compo writing.

Here is an example of clear, structured advice.

https://writingsamurai.com/how-to-write ... -students/

You can subscribe to his email list too and evaluate for yourself. From time to time there will be “advertisements” for his tuition centre and courses. U can ignore (like me) or you can try a class if you think it works.

My child still too young. All the best for your DCs!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby private » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 pm

His advertisement just sent out today. He is more like a marketing person! Check his background.

Subject: Avoid these cliched phrases...

Your child is not going to score better marks using these phrases!

As we sift through thousands of submissions over the year...

We have some data on creative writing 'trends' that may prove useful if you want your child to score top marks for his or her compo exams.

(For example, due to our huge network of students, we can more or less make intelligent guesses on which topics will be tested in the school's CAs or SAs.)

But in this email, I want to highlight some cliched phrases that keep popping up again and again.

Here is the list of horrible phrases to avoid:

- sun is a glowing fireball
- cotton candy clouds
- make a beeline
- etched in my mind forever
- I learned a lesson ...
- once bitten, twice shy
- a friend in need is a friend indeed
- as fast as lightning
- as fast as a cheetah

...the list is even longer... but I will stop here for now.

"Then what am I supposed to write?!"

Aha!

Here's where it gets challenging.

The top students are the ones who can create their own similes, metaphors, use hyperboles and personification in their compos at the right moments.

They know how to avoid cliches - and describe scenes and actions using the most vivid or effective words.

They know how to use sentence structures for various effects.

They can look at 3 pictures and come up with storylines that no one else will ever think about... and still remain relevant to the topic!

They know how to mix & match and apply the different methods we've taught them.

They know when to follow my guidelines... and when to throw those same guidelines out of the window...

Memorising and writing cookie-cutter phrases is NOT the way to learn
good writing.

Ms Teo, one of our tutors at Bugis, shared with me this experience when she was marking essays...

"Jerry, in one of my years, I read the Cambridge examiners report and the markers complained about the use of superfluous phrases in the essays. One phrase they highlighted was 'in the pink of health'. Apparently, all the Singaporean students were using that phrase - but using it wrong!"

Yup, that's the kind of problem that annoys the heck out of us.

So much so that we created these courses to stop your child from falling into the trap of memorising phrases, memorising model compos, copying drafts after drafts...

We want your child to come home...

Waving his or her compo papers proudly...

Telling you...

"Mummy I have improved!"

or

"Mummy the teacher praised my compo in front of the class!"

or

"Mummy my teacher chose my compo for the school's model compo book compilation!"

All these have come true for several parents who signed up for our courses.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Note: part of the advertisement deleted to prevent people thinking I am the “creative” owner of this company and self advertising..! :sweat:

By the way, 3 years ago, my son also used such horrible phrases (maybe even more jia lat than the above examples) but could get A*, markers’ eyes “pa-jiau”?? :?

private
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ANWI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Hello All, Do you know any book or internet resource to find Maths misconception questions asked normally in PSLE.

ANWI
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres