2018 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (Born in 2006)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Brand_Excellence
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: 2018 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (Born in 2006)

Post by Brand_Excellence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:08 am

Anyone has good recommendation on Chinese compo writing? My boy needs help in this area and we are very trouble as SA2 weightage was 30% weightage. (consider high).

Brand_Excellence
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Brand_Excellence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:18 am

dylanmummy wrote:
AppleCrumble wrote:
nicnac wrote:Hi,
Anyone here send your kids to writing class? Any recommendations?
I think my DD needs help in writing. She needs to learn to write a decent compo.
TIA!
I had the same issue with my DS when he was in lower primary. I decided to sign him up for creative writing class at the start of P4 and he improved tremendously as he was taught systematically the structure to write a composition (something that his school English teacher was unable to impart to him). After 1 year, he was one of the better writers in his class (as confirmed by his English teacher). His confidence in compo writing grew by leaps and bounds, thanks to his dedicated creative writing teacher. Now my DS is in secondary school, the compo writing/thinking skills learned are still very useful for his English subject.

If you are keen, pm me and I will share with you the contact.
Hello AppleCrumble, I am keen. I have PM you. Pls help.
Thanks
Hi Dylanmummy,
I am keen on the creative writing work too? can share with me. Thanks a lot.

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by AppleCrumble » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Would like to share some thoughts with parents of soon-to-be P5 students.

For the past 1+ months, besides receiving pms on creative writing class, I have also received several pms from fellow parents asking for recommendations for Maths and Science tuition.

Before I proceed further, I would like to clarify that I am not against tuition (otherwise I would not have sent my DS for creative writing class). However, I do believe that some forethought/discretion needs to be exercised so that your DC will not be overloaded with work (school and otherwise).

From personal experience and sharing with friends, P5 is a big step forward from P4 (guess many of you would have been made aware by now). Your DC will be introduced with more new concepts and possibly at a faster pace (so that there is more time for PSLE revision). There will also be supplementary classes in school to attend at P5 (I know that many schools conduct this, though the number of classes per week varies).

So, in terms of school work, your DC will be managing much more in P5 than P4. Do factor in this additional load when you are planning on signing up tuition classes for him/her.

It would be good that you take this school holiday to mentally prepare your DC on the upcoming changes which will likely to last until the end of PSLE. Hopefully, this will help to manage your DC's stress levels.

Another point, it is normal to see a dip in result at P5 SA1. So please do not go into a panic mode :yikes: :shock: when you a see a dip in his/her results in May next year (unless it is very drastic). Speak with his/her FT first so that you will have a better idea on what the next steps should be.

It will be an exciting 2 years ahead!

All the best to each and everyone of you. :smile:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Post by laughingcat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Thank you AppleCrumble for the sound advice. :love:

Hopefully I can ride smoothly in this ist national exam with my boy. :xedfingers:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks applecrumble for the wonderful sharing. Just wondering, will pace out slow and steady learning at home starting from this December helps cushion the big drop a little? Because I realise, time is such a scare resource at P5 as per many friends has shared, for example, with 1cca and 2 supplementary lessons, the most can only put one tuition for the weakest subject to me with so little time left to rest and do homework??

snowsnow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by snowsnow » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:25 am

AppleCrumble wrote:
I think my DD needs help in writing. She needs to learn to write a decent compo.
TIA!
I had the same issue with my DS when he was in lower primary. I decided to sign him up for creative writing class at the start of P4 and he improved tremendously as he was taught systematically the structure to write a composition (something that his school English teacher was unable to impart to him). After 1 year, he was one of the better writers in his class (as confirmed by his English teacher). His confidence in compo writing grew by leaps and bounds, thanks to his dedicated creative writing teacher. Now my DS is in secondary school, the compo writing/thinking skills learned are still very useful for his English subject.

Hi AppleCrumble, I'm interested. Can u share? :thankyou:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by janet88 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Thanks applecrumble for the wonderful sharing. Just wondering, will pace out slow and steady learning at home starting from this December helps cushion the big drop a little? Because I realise, time is such a scare resource at P5 as per many friends has shared, for example, with 1cca and 2 supplementary lessons, the most can only put one tuition for the weakest subject to me with so little time left to rest and do homework??
P5 is preparation for psle. With the introduction of 2 supplementary lessons in p5, time will be precious. This holiday will be a good time to start p5 syllabus as CA1 will probably be soon after CNY. The big drop is because of the steep learning curve. Math paper 1 and 2 is a 50 minute paper without calculators, which means every question is about 1 minute+. Problem sums will be challenging. Science upper block (new topics) + constant revision of lower block.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:23 am

Thanks Janet, for the details.
For English, how should we approach it?
I always find it harder to help my kid in languages, too many components to take care....

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by janet88 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:40 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Thanks Janet, for the details.
For English, how should we approach it?
I always find it harder to help my kid in languages, too many components to take care....
I agree with you about English...too many components. My daughter is weak in grammar cloze, editing and comprehension OE. I get her to practise all the sections...for e.g grammar MCQ, vocabulary MCQ, grammar cloze, vocab cloze and editing on one day while another day will be on synthesis and comprehension cloze. Comprehension OE needs time to read and understand. Tutor works mainly on her oral and composition.
Algebra is the first topic for Math. The textbook is too brief, so I would suggest Casco math tutor which gives indepth exercises.

mummychia
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by mummychia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 am

AppleCrumble wrote:
TIA!

Hi applecrumble
Hv pm u for the contact. Thanks for sharing!