2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Post Reply
Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16296
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:161

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am

floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 am
Hot schools can’t get hotter. However, the new system may take away the heat from some of these hot schools and end up pushing it down to the next tier of schools.

In the old system, someone scoring 260 may say, let’s try NYGH, RGS and MGS as the first 3 choice and then hope for the best. In the new system, if you score 6 points and try to do the same, there’s a possibility that you will end up with none of the above. The beneficiary would then be the next tier of schools such as SNGS, CGSS or SCGS.
Yes, I believe it is a good way to distribute the kids

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:11

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by coast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 am

And attain AL1 and AL2 in their Mother Tongue
:boogie: means if a student is able to achieve AL2, it’s equivalent of A* for Chinese in today’s context.
Thanks for sharing :smile:

It's mentioned in the news (with interviews) yesterday that in the new PSLE scoring system, MOE has lowered the criteria for students to take Higher Mother Tongue in Secondary. Hence, we cannot deduce the above.

IMHO, A* is never 91 marks and above in PSLE as they need to cater for difficult papers/ cohort performance. Note that the new AL1 is 90 and above.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:118

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by lee_yl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:13 pm

floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:56 am
lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:39 am
floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 am


Zzz.

It’s not that hard to work it out right?
According to what you wrote earlier, your estimate is that AL8 goes to mid 240s school. Now it would seem that AL8 is within the Top 10%, eligible for IP school.

Likewise from the link you provided, you didn’t share that AL2 is equivalent to an A* in Chinese or that at AL14, it is the cut-off for Top 30%.
Already said it’s guess work but mathematically not that difficult to work it work.

AL8 should be a high 240s to low 250s. That would be the borderline for IP COP, so it’s not off.

AL14 equates to top 30% is somewhat unexpected. That means the spread of students scoring AL10 to AL14 is much narrower - good news for those with an ideal school in this range (1st and 2nd choice), bad news for those making up their minds about schools in this range (the rest of the choices). Likely to have a lot of surprises on posting day.
Everyone can calculate lah, it’s just how accurate.

Now the MOE announcement tells us indirectly that with AL8, one would be within the top 10% and eligible for IP (& HML). There is no high AL8 (low 250s) or low AL8 (high 240s) as ALL should be eligible for IP.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:118

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by lee_yl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm

coast wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 am

And attain AL1 and AL2 in their Mother Tongue
:boogie: means if a student is able to achieve AL2, it’s equivalent of A* for Chinese in today’s context.
Thanks for sharing :smile:

It's mentioned in the news (with interviews) yesterday that in the new PSLE scoring system, MOE has lowered the criteria for students to take Higher Mother Tongue in Secondary. Hence, we cannot deduce the above.

IMHO, A* is never 91 marks and above in PSLE as they need to cater for difficult papers/ cohort performance. Note that the new AL1 is 90 and above.
Oh yes, I watched yesterday’s news too. Perhaps it’s just the interviewer’s assumption? The interviewer said that she thought that the criteria had been lowered because students no longer need to attain A* in Chinese to be eligible for sec HML. The interviewer could be under the impression that A* is 91 and above for all subjects?

Take my DD2 for example, she has never scored above 90 for P5/P6 Chinese exam but she got an A* for PSLE Chinese. Thus, it is likely that the raw score for PSLE Chinese could be high 80s to get A* and not necessarily to be above 91.

It was stated in today’s ST that, “This is similar to the existing practice” (eligibility for sec HML). Is there any mention that the bar has been lowered?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:118

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by lee_yl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:53 am
Unless you really like your MT, there's really not much benefit to take higher MT in IP...but that's where most of the top 10% are, no?
Both my kids’ favourite subject is definitely not Chinese. :lol: But we want them to do HMT because for IP, students taking HMT do not need to take chinese at Yr 5 (JC1). They can then concentrate on other subjects for their A-levels


coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:11

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by coast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:11 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm
coast wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 am

And attain AL1 and AL2 in their Mother Tongue
:boogie: means if a student is able to achieve AL2, it’s equivalent of A* for Chinese in today’s context.
Thanks for sharing :smile:

It's mentioned in the news (with interviews) yesterday that in the new PSLE scoring system, MOE has lowered the criteria for students to take Higher Mother Tongue in Secondary. Hence, we cannot deduce the above.

IMHO, A* is never 91 marks and above in PSLE as they need to cater for difficult papers/ cohort performance. Note that the new AL1 is 90 and above.
Oh yes, I watched yesterday’s news too. Perhaps it’s just the interviewer’s assumption? The interviewer said that she thought that the criteria had been lowered because students no longer need to attain A* in Chinese to be eligible for sec HML. The interviewer could be under the impression that A* is 91 and above for all subjects?

Take my DD2 for example, she has never scored above 90 for P5/P6 Chinese exam but she got an A* for PSLE Chinese. Thus, it is likely that the raw score for PSLE Chinese could be high 80s to get A* and not necessarily to be above 91.

It was stated in today’s ST that, “This is similar to the existing practice” (eligibility for sec HML). Is there any mention that the bar has been lowered?
You may be right. Other than the TV news yesterday, I don't think it was mentioned in writing that the bar has been lowered.

But the "similar to the existing practice" could just be referring to school having the flexibility to decide exceptions :-
"For pupils who do not meet the above criteria, secondary schools will have the flexibility to offer Higher Mother Tongue to students assessed to have high ability and interest in mother tongue languages. This is similar to the existing practice.".

The news is just announced so we will probably get more clarity on this point soon :smile:

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Mar 15,
Total Likes:2

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by junemum72 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 am

check in

aloyboy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 27,
Total Likes:6

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by aloyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 am

Any affiliation school has announced their new affiliation "cop" under the new scoring system, this thread is the first batch right ?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7429
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:196

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by floppy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:01 am

aloyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 am
Any affiliation school has announced their new affiliation "cop" under the new scoring system, this thread is the first batch right ?
No. I don’t think any school is in a rush to announce.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3242
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:109

Re: 2021 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2009)

Post by zac's mum » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

aloyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 am
Any affiliation school has announced their new affiliation "cop" under the new scoring system, this thread is the first batch right ?
Wait and watch...This year 2019 PSLE batch (entry into 2020 Sec 1 intake) is the first batch that will be affected by the 20% cap on affiliated students. We will see the T score COP being “adjusted” according to market demand first.

Post Reply