2022 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (born in 2010)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Pinkfluff
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: 2022 PSLE Discussions & Strategies (born in 2010)

Post by Pinkfluff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks Zac’s mum for working out the numbers. My girl will be the first batch under the new AL system. I tried the same for my girl using her SA1 scores. Her T score works out to be around 248, very similar to yours. Her AL is 9.. her highest is chinese at 92.. the rest most are mid 80s range. Yes now I finally see the picture.. have to be consistent for all 4 subjects. When the AL banding was first released, her chinese tutor was saying the same thing about having to be very consistent to do well but I didn’t get what she was saying. Now I finally understand.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:55 pm

floppy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:02 am
MrsKiasu wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:48 am
I prefer the current tscore system..
In any system, there will be winners and there will be losers. Cannot always be liu lian bao jiak.

The other thing about this new system is the uneven scoring range. If you are in AL2, 3 or 4 and looking for improvement, it wouldn’t take a lot to jump up to the next grade (+5 points). However, if you are in AL5, you would need a big leap to AL4 (+10 points). Further down, it would get worst - you need a giant leap to get out of AL6, 7 or 8 (+20 points). How is that going to encourage our weakest students to better themselves? :shrug:

Also, taking zac’s mum eg, if his son had an improvement of +5 points for his 2 weakest subjects, under the new scoring system, he would have scored 9 points - likely OP, slightly more popular schools, not much difference IMHO. Under the old system, he would have t-score 254 - IP, most of the popular schools. Big difference.

Anyone selling the idea that the new system won’t result in parents / students chasing after every single point is plain BS.
Imagine all 4 subjects at borderline range, +4 :nailbite:

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:58 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:52 am
grapevine wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm
PSLE in 2022 will be based on single digit points scoring system and MOE has released the scoring criteria. But how do we determine what is the cut off points for secondary school selection? There are COP lists in other forum threads but it does not apply to the new scoring system. Has anyone done a conversion for how the previous points translate to the new points??
Our P3 kid has just finished his SA1. I sat down to calculate the “conversion” using his report book marks myself. Sharing sample here so you can work yours out too.

EL: 97/100 (A*) —> AL1
CL: 70/100 (B) —> AL5
MA: 98/100 (A*) —> AL1
SC: 78/100 (A) —> AL4

If use T score system, KSP parents said add up all 4 subjects marks, then multiply by factor 0.72-0.75.

Eg. (97 + 70 + 98 + 78) x 0.72 = 247

If use AL score system, simply add up all the AL marks.

Eg. 1 + 5 + 1 + 4 = 11

So eg. If you are eyeing a school with current COP of 247, it translates to a future COP of 11 (on paper).

Although beware that actual COP will always fluctuate depending on supply & demand.
Actually how to compare fairly, using 0.72-0.75 etc, if your P3 SA1 only had EL cloze passage+S&T, and Chinese oral? The devils for your sch were not included (compos).

P3 SA1 Science only had a couple of simple topics (and all fill in blanks and short answers).

From my own recollection, quite many will score AL4 if use P3 SA1 (+CA1).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:18 pm

.zeit wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:58 pm
Actually how to compare fairly, using 0.72-0.75 etc, if your P3 SA1 only had EL cloze passage+S&T, and Chinese oral? The devils for your sch were not included (compos).

P3 SA1 Science only had a couple of simple topics (and all fill in blanks and short answers).

I always thought many will score AL1 or AL2 in P3 SA1 :lol:

I don't think the purpose here is to compare fairly or predicting a direct relationship between P3 SA1 and PSLE. It's more about understanding the banding and t-score using some examples from the guinea pigs.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:27 pm

.zeit wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:58 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:52 am
grapevine wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm
PSLE in 2022 will be based on single digit points scoring system and MOE has released the scoring criteria. But how do we determine what is the cut off points for secondary school selection? There are COP lists in other forum threads but it does not apply to the new scoring system. Has anyone done a conversion for how the previous points translate to the new points??
Our P3 kid has just finished his SA1. I sat down to calculate the “conversion” using his report book marks myself. Sharing sample here so you can work yours out too.

EL: 97/100 (A*) —> AL1
CL: 70/100 (B) —> AL5
MA: 98/100 (A*) —> AL1
SC: 78/100 (A) —> AL4

If use T score system, KSP parents said add up all 4 subjects marks, then multiply by factor 0.72-0.75.

Eg. (97 + 70 + 98 + 78) x 0.72 = 247

If use AL score system, simply add up all the AL marks.

Eg. 1 + 5 + 1 + 4 = 11

So eg. If you are eyeing a school with current COP of 247, it translates to a future COP of 11 (on paper).

Although beware that actual COP will always fluctuate depending on supply & demand.

It is just my own initial calculation to satisfy my own curiosity. I took the Semester One average (CA1 and SA1).

I am fully aware that these P3 marks cannot predict actual P6 PSLE score. Yes only some components were tested, and still plenty of careless mistakes. SA2 (testing all components like PSLE) would be a slightly better gauge.

And yes yes yes I know the difficulty in topics will get harder in upper primary, big drop in P5 etc.

I don’t like to have to put all these disclaimers. I’m just sharing a sample calculation only lah. It’s still a very long many years to go.

Anyway, MOE supposed to release more details about the AL system in the coming months of 2019. Maybe they will have some official calculation who knows. I’m sure the first batch of parents will be anxious to know.

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by grapevine » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 pm

MOE has not released how many points it will allow for affiliated schools yet, has it?
With or without affiliation, I believe the new system benefits the all "A" student, not the ones who are better in some subjects. With the scoring system, they will be lumped with kids who are average in ALL subjects.
The subject based banding will not be up by the time our kids are in Secondary school. It's a lose, lose system for the kids caught in between.