2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:70

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by Estéema » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 am

For parents who need some guidance to help yr child tackle PSLE, an opportunity to get tips fr educators :

华艺学院 is just along same stretch with Academia at Sin Ming 2, but the 2nd talk will be at Kent Vale. Not sure abt this year’s speaker but we’ve benifitted fr 刘老师 previously whobgave plenty of tips to help & correct our kids’ 口试 , 作文 , 理解问答, etc

Note : I’m not related nor own any part of this centre. We’ve benefitted fr the teachers at this centre previously.

manorway
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Estéema wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am
VooVoo wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:46 pm
Appreciate advice on how to improve Eng paper 2, especially vocab related sections and compre cloze. Thanks!
Encourage yr child to read more books. Vocabulary goes along with usage ability. Pointless learning vocabulary words (which sch alr testing in spelling lists) but the child do not use them appropriately.

Also, less gadget time, as Mr Sherman of Academia once advised that today’s generation engaged too much on screentime (TV, laptop, hp, ...) & the brain has not been trained enuf to think & analyse & most of these kids can’t sit quietly with a book anymore after their screen excitements.
Agree with Esteema on cutting down gadget time. But before cutting down, must sit down with kids to discuss and agree on a revision plan and make kids be the ones who WANT to do well, and willingly suggest he or she must cut down on screen time. :smile:

Reading more books is always beneficial but I think for many P5/P6 kids who are not already reading a lot, asking them to read more now may be a tall order. Also effect may not be seen so easily. Those who are already reading will probably view reading as a relaxation tool anyway. Then they read more!

To help with vocab cloze passages and compre, I believe kids must learn the techniques to answer compre questions. Make a plan to revise the vocab list from school. Schools may have taught but does not mean kid has learnt.

deron
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by deron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Good afternoon to all,

Appreciate advice on how to handle Science open ended questions. It is really a very tough section to even pass for my child.

Thank you in advance.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:08 pm

manorway wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 pm
Estéema wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am
VooVoo wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:46 pm
Appreciate advice on how to improve Eng paper 2, especially vocab related sections and compre cloze. Thanks!
Encourage yr child to read more books. Vocabulary goes along with usage ability. Pointless learning vocabulary words (which sch alr testing in spelling lists) but the child do not use them appropriately.

Also, less gadget time, as Mr Sherman of Academia once advised that today’s generation engaged too much on screentime (TV, laptop, hp, ...) & the brain has not been trained enuf to think & analyse & most of these kids can’t sit quietly with a book anymore after their screen excitements.
Agree with Esteema on cutting down gadget time. But before cutting down, must sit down with kids to discuss and agree on a revision plan and make kids be the ones who WANT to do well, and willingly suggest he or she must cut down on screen time. :smile:

Reading more books is always beneficial but I think for many P5/P6 kids who are not already reading a lot, asking them to read more now may be a tall order. Also effect may not be seen so easily. Those who are already reading will probably view reading as a relaxation tool anyway. Then they read more!

To help with vocab cloze passages and compre, I believe kids must learn the techniques to answer compre questions. Make a plan to revise the vocab list from school. Schools may have taught but does not mean kid has learnt.
Definitely impt to get child to worknout timetable for revision for their ownership to their own hardwork & achievements. Do take note, some kids can go thro motion agree, hap hazard ly do work YOU require but there’s not conscientiousness & quality not there. Just defeats the purpose. So mummies must be wise to circumvent that.

Reading need not just be completing a book. Recognizing this, my nephew who had been poorly supervised in his early years, I passed SIL DS’s Academia reading list which are basically articles written or collated by their in-house curriculum writer (a former TLL curriculum writer). These are not only interesting reads, not boring, not lengthy.

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by xn_mummy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:54 am

Estéema wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 am
xn_mummy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:36 am
Hi hi

SA2 is over for most :dancing:

When will most of start preparing for PSLE
Been thinking abt it....
Any suggestion?
Start now after giving time for your child to relax (a play dates, movie time, outing to Sc Center, Rick climbing, swimming, riding, etc) in btwn study & revision in weak subjects or topics. Practice & lots of practices to keep the mind sharp & we’ll wheeled.

After term start next year, there’s not much time to sit & focus as teachers will be busy dishing out past papers for practices. Nov & Dec is the best time w/o sch hmwk to distract yr child fr going thro the principles of a topic or practice the rudiments or formula to apply.

All the best!
Thank for your reply.
My child only got C for the languages
Needed some advice🙏🏻
1. For english, if equally weak in p1 and p2.
Which one is easier to improve ?
Thinking of engaging a tutor/go tuition but not sure which area to focus.
1. For english, if student is weak,1-1 tuition is better? How does a Private tutor teach compo?

2. MTL, already hv a tutor.. dun know what else can be done. Sigh. Any advice?

3. Parents, do u all think is possible to push up language result from C to B or high B 😅 by psle? Been worrying cos math and sci also not v good.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 am

xn_mummy

Sounds like u’ve left it a tad late to help yr child when it’s P6 next year. For English, u might try getting Mr Sherman fr Academia @ Sin Min Plaza 2 for help to coach yr child. I don’t hv anyone to recommend for Math & Sc tho.

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by xn_mummy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 am

deron wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm
Good afternoon to all,

Appreciate advice on how to handle Science open ended questions. It is really a very tough section to even pass for my child.

Thank you in advance.
I think assessment book is better as their given answers are based on a few teacher who are expert in sci. Can choose those go by topic
I use janet sim book.
U can look out for mc book too

As for Past year paper, their answer sometime not really that 'accurate' to answer to the point.
However, these past yr papers hv a variety of qns on how a concept/topic is being used, therefore it still good to go thru before exams, to prepare one

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by xn_mummy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 am

Estéema wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 am
xn_mummy

Sounds like u’ve left it a tad late to help yr child when it’s P6 next year. For English, u might try getting Mr Sherman fr Academia @ Sin Min Plaza 2 for help to coach yr child. I don’t hv anyone to recommend for Math & Sc tho.
Yeah, my child has been resisting tuition and that why we delay till the marks drop to below 60.

deron
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by deron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 pm

xn_mummy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 am
deron wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm
Good afternoon to all,

Thank you in advance.
I think assessment book is better as their given answers are based on a few teacher who are expert in sci. Can choose those go by topic
I use janet sim book.
U can look out for mc book too

As for Past year paper, their answer sometime not really that 'accurate' to answer to the point.
However, these past yr papers hv a variety of qns on how a concept/topic is being used, therefore it still good to go thru before exams, to prepare one
Thank you for your advice. Will go look at the Janet Sim books.

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by xn_mummy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:39 am

Hi

Anyone know which book better?
Seem to be from different publisher