2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Post Reply
chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:47

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 am

entei17 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 am
xn_mummy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:25 pm
Am interested to know how to improve on these 2 types of qns
Image
First and foremost, read these two questions first before reading the actual passage.

Write down the meanings of these two phrases in ENGLISH, so you know fully well what they mean in a language you are most comfortable with.

Then read the passage.

If you haven't find the suitable phrases in the passage after the first reading. Skip to do the rest of the questions first. Reason being, if you have completed all the rest of the questions, it is likely that you would have read each line of the passage at least 2-4 times already. You would have known how the storyline flows, the character emotions, their actions etc like watching a movie. Then from the English meanings, you could make a good guess which part of the story it comes about.

Even if the above fails, you fall back to reading line-by-line to identify the phrases. But because you know the storyline so much better, you can speed read to find them quicker.

Note that after you found the the 1st question phrase, the 2nd question phrase would obviously appear after the 1st phrase, and vice versa.

Some phrases are similar and gives you a clue, but these occurrences seem rare,
e.g. 迫切 vs 急切, 遗忘vs 淡忘, 陶醉vs心醉
Image

Ditto! :wink: One technique I taught my students and shared with the kids who attended previous compre workshops is to read and translate Q34 & Q35 prior to starting on the reading of compre passage.

Several reasons include:
- they will be aware of what phrase to look out for the moment they start reading the passage (reading with purpose). more often than not, they manage to find the answer as they read from sentence to sentence/paragragh to paragraph. this saves them the time of going back to the passage (for 2nd/repeated times) to look for answers.

- the translated meaning can "highlight" to them if the answer they are looking for is a verb, feeling or adjective.

- sometimes, the moment they translate the meaning correctly, they will tend to have an answer in their mind (even before reading the passage) - because as phtthp mentioned, the answer is usually 识读字/识写字 from syllabus text. all they need to do then is to confirm if that answer in their mind did appear in the passage and check if there are other possible options.

- if they can understand the story, they should be aware of which part of the passage to "zoom into", to look out for the translated meaning. for example from Q34 in the image xn_mummy provided, “看不到边,非常广阔" --> even if the student does not understand 广阔, he/she will be able to translate the first part as "can't see the sides". if you can't see the sides, the boundary should be very broad or the space is very wide. so theoretically, the students will zoom in to the part of the passage that mentioned about area/location (especially sky, sea)


【Chen Lao Shi's Nov 2019 Compre & Oral Workshops】 --> Find out more here
Last edited by chenlaoshi on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 24,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by xn_mummy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Thank phttph and chenlaoshi for sharing the technique
Will guide her thru this sch holiday
Thanks

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 24,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by xn_mummy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi chenlaoshi and phttph

Can i check
For normal mtl, does student need to know like
Usage of same word in different format.

探望 (given in textbook)
same word in different format
探访
探险
Or
阻 (given in textbook)
Question can come out in these form
阻拦
阻止

If they are required to learn, is there a range?
Thanks!

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:47

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by chenlaoshi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 pm

xn_mummy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Hi chenlaoshi and phttph

Can i check
For normal mtl, does student need to know like
Usage of same word in different format.

探望 (given in textbook)
same word in different format
探访
探险
Or
阻 (given in textbook)
Question can come out in these form
阻拦
阻止

If they are required to learn, is there a range?
Thanks!

xn_mummy,

For primary sch CL, the students are "expected" to know
- 识读字
- 识写字
- phrases formed by 识读字 and/or 识写字

For example, in this year's Pri 5 Chp 13, there is a 识读字 "" and the phrase that appeared in the passage text is "育" while in Pri 5 Chp 14 there is a 识读字 "" and the phrase that appeared in the passage text is "种". The child is "expected" to know what is "“.

The best reference to refer to for such 构词 will be handbooks (a.k.a.词语手册).


【Chen Lao Shi's Nov 2019 Compre & Oral Workshops】 --> Find out more here

Qwerty7
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 08,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by Qwerty7 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 am

Hi all,

I've been coaching (or trying to!) my dd in English P5. When I'm not sure about something, like grammar, I try to ask the teacher on Classdojo. Two questions a month. But the English teacher finds me annoying and has been ignoring me.

Her Chinese teacher is helpful to my questions. But I find it hard to prepare for English PSLE without the teachers help. No tuition. How do you get the teachers to help you?


Swc
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 18,
Total Likes:21

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by Swc » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:54 am

Qwerty7 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 am
Hi all,

I've been coaching (or trying to!) my dd in English P5. When I'm not sure about something, like grammar, I try to ask the teacher on Classdojo. Two questions a month. But the English teacher finds me annoying and has been ignoring me.

Her Chinese teacher is helpful to my questions. But I find it hard to prepare for English PSLE without the teachers help. No tuition. How do you get the teachers to help you?
I find that the teachers are helpful when it is the child who approach them directly to ask. In addition, if the child asks question himself/herself, he/she will be forced to fully understand the question so that he/she can come back and explain to you.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 19290
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:223

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by phtthp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 am

Qwerty7 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 am
Hi all,

I've been coaching (or trying to!) my dd in English P5. When I'm not sure about something, like grammar, I try to ask the teacher on Classdojo. Two questions a month. But the English teacher finds me annoying and has been ignoring me.

Her Chinese teacher is helpful to my questions.

But I find it hard to prepare for English PSLE without the teachers help. No tuition. How do you get the teachers to help you?
Teachers prefer students to ask them questions directly, not go through parents, because at P5 / P6, they expect independence and spontaneous learning attitude. In fact, Teachers dont like parents to ask them academic qn, but if students ask, is a different situation. Moreover, after P6 is Secondary school, so they expect Upper primary students to be responsible in their self-directed learning attitude

Perhaps your child can collate (gather) All your qn at one shot to ask (those eng grammar rules, vocab, etc your child not sure of), then ask Eng Tr which is a good time to book personal appointment time, to clarify doubts. The same, apply to asking Chinese subject questions or asking Science qns (mcq or OEQ) : book appointment first, with Tr. If dont collate qn, Tr will find you annoying, if today u ask 1 qn, then a few days later, ask Tr another qn.

For Science OEQ, if your child have a lot of questions to clarify, over various Science topics, normally what Science Tr do is, Tr will inform your child which date and time to see her. Usually, is after school. And when the Tr go through so many OEQ with child, get your child to quickly jot down the answer so that child understood what Tr explained, in case come home, forget all the Scientific principles that the Tr had explained and told child, then got to go back and ask Tr again

For Science OEQ or MCQ
The earlier u book appointment to clarify doubts, the better.
Reason ?

Because

Those 3 weeks just before P6 SA1 (mid year) or before P6 SA2 (Prelim), Tr are very busy, having meeting, set exam qn, marking mock papers etc.

After p6 SA1 (mid year)
Usually Science Tr may identify those who failed Science, to come for some mini "tuition" lessons, to help them buck up for Prelim and Psle. And there is a group quota size. So if your child didn't fail Science bit still weak eg. Hovering 50 to 60+ marks, Tr may not have space to accommodate your child for mini " tuition" to buck up.

This phenomenon doesn't happen in all schools, because some Science Tr are lazy. Once u tell them, "my child is weak, need help", the 1st qn Tr ask u back is , "does your child have any Science tuition, outside school "? On the other hand, there are some kind Science school Tr willing to go the extra mile, for P6 students preparing psle. In a way, it depend on luck on what kind of Science Tr u have, in your school

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 24,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by xn_mummy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:04 am

chenlaoshi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 pm
xn_mummy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Hi chenlaoshi and phttph

Can i check
For normal mtl, does student need to know like
Usage of same word in different format.

探望 (given in textbook)
same word in different format
探访
探险
Or
阻 (given in textbook)
Question can come out in these form
阻拦
阻止

If they are required to learn, is there a range?
Thanks!

xn_mummy,

For primary sch CL, the students are "expected" to know
- 识读字
- 识写字
- phrases formed by 识读字 and/or 识写字

For example, in this year's Pri 5 Chp 13, there is a 识读字 "" and the phrase that appeared in the passage text is "育" while in Pri 5 Chp 14 there is a 识读字 "" and the phrase that appeared in the passage text is "种". The child is "expected" to know what is "“.

The best reference to refer to for such 构词 will be handbooks (a.k.a.词语手册).


【Chen Lao Shi's Nov 2019 Compre & Oral Workshops】 --> Find out more here
Thanks
As per your example, from the book there are 4
Variation. Are they required to learn all?


Image

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 24,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by xn_mummy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 am

Sorry to trouble to ask again
Like this picture, only need to learn to write 线
And know 热线.
But is see the 构词, there is quite a lot of word. How to know what is required to know?

Thank thank for the help

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:47

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by chenlaoshi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:18 pm

xn_mummy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 am
Sorry to trouble to ask again
Like this picture, only need to learn to write 线
And know 热线.
But is see the 构词, there is quite a lot of word. How to know what is required to know?

Thank thank for the help
xn_mummy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks
As per your example, from the book there are 4
Variation. Are they required to learn all?


Image
They are not required to learn all. As a handbook (and in most cases in teacher/school notes, we will provide beyond what is generally required, to cater to the HA students as well.

On the parent's/educator's part, they can help seive out and identify the more common 构词 (e.g. for 线,from the list provided, I'll pick out 电线 and 天线 to explain to the kids, on top of 热线) as well as those that are easily mixed up (e.g. 遵照 vs. 遵守).

Knowing the difference between the various 构词 helps in 辨字测验 Q3 and 4, 词语选择Q 5 and 6 (in some way 句子选择 Q13, 14 and 15 since the kids will be able to identify what the correct phrase should be for the other 3 sentences in which the underlined phrase is used wrongly) as well as 短文填空 Q16 to 20.


【Chen Lao Shi's Nov 2019 Compre & Oral Workshops】 --> Find out more here

Post Reply