2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Qwerty7
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: 2020 PSLE Discussions and Strategies(for those born in 2008)

Post by Qwerty7 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm

phtthp wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 am
Qwerty7 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 am
Hi all,

I've been coaching (or trying to!) my dd in English P5. When I'm not sure about something, like grammar, I try to ask the teacher on Classdojo. Two questions a month. But the English teacher finds me annoying and has been ignoring me.

Her Chinese teacher is helpful to my questions.

But I find it hard to prepare for English PSLE without the teachers help. No tuition. How do you get the teachers to help you?
Teachers prefer students to ask them questions directly, not go through parents, because at P5 / P6, they expect independence and spontaneous learning attitude. In fact, Teachers dont like parents to ask them academic qn, but if students ask, is a different situation. Moreover, after P6 is Secondary school, so they expect Upper primary students to be responsible in their self-directed learning attitude

Perhaps your child can collate (gather) All your qn at one shot to ask (those eng grammar rules, vocab, etc your child not sure of), then ask Eng Tr which is a good time to book personal appointment time, to clarify doubts. The same, apply to asking Chinese subject questions or asking Science qns (mcq or OEQ) : book appointment first, with Tr. If dont collate qn, Tr will find you annoying, if today u ask 1 qn, then a few days later, ask Tr another qn.

For Science OEQ, if your child have a lot of questions to clarify, over various Science topics, normally what Science Tr do is, Tr will inform your child which date and time to see her. Usually, is after school. And when the Tr go through so many OEQ with child, get your child to quickly jot down the answer so that child understood what Tr explained, in case come home, forget all the Scientific principles that the Tr had explained and told child, then got to go back and ask Tr again

For Science OEQ or MCQ
The earlier u book appointment to clarify doubts, the better.
Reason ?

Because

Those 3 weeks just before P6 SA1 (mid year) or before P6 SA2 (Prelim), Tr are very busy, having meeting, set exam qn, marking mock papers etc.

After p6 SA1 (mid year)
Usually Science Tr may identify those who failed Science, to come for some mini "tuition" lessons, to help them buck up for Prelim and Psle. And there is a group quota size. So if your child didn't fail Science bit still weak eg. Hovering 50 to 60+ marks, Tr may not have space to accommodate your child for mini " tuition" to buck up.

This phenomenon doesn't happen in all schools, because some Science Tr are lazy. Once u tell them, "my child is weak, need help", the 1st qn Tr ask u back is , "does your child have any Science tuition, outside school "? On the other hand, there are some kind Science school Tr willing to go the extra mile, for P6 students preparing psle. In a way, it depend on luck on what kind of Science Tr u have, in your school
Will try that. Thanks! :sweat:

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by coast » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Qwerty7 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 am
Hi all,

I've been coaching (or trying to!) my dd in English P5. When I'm not sure about something, like grammar, I try to ask the teacher on Classdojo. Two questions a month. But the English teacher finds me annoying and has been ignoring me.

Her Chinese teacher is helpful to my questions. But I find it hard to prepare for English PSLE without the teachers help. No tuition. How do you get the teachers to help you?
You can always try to ask your questions here or one of the relevant forums (refer link below)

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... m.php?f=94
Last edited by coast on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by bsk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Hello,
Anyone has any books/mechanism for Maths & Science to practice. My girl got around 88 in both the subjects & i want to her do some practice over the holidays..
I would like to know any specific approaches to use for paper 01 ? appreciate your help !!

Qwerty7
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Qwerty7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:28 am

Hi all,

My dd's Math dropped 21 points from 100 in WA2 to 79 in SA2. She did not do model questions with model and used Unitary method instead, causing her to lose 15 marks for all model questions.

It's frustrating because her expensive tuition taught her the unitary method. Her school teachers are less interesting and cannot impress the model method on her.

For such problem sums, how do you know when to use Model method, unitary method or Algebra? In P6, is it possible to use mainly Algebra and let go of the model method?

Thank you for your help.

xn_mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by xn_mummy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Thank chenlaoshi for your guidance
Not an easy task to which are the identify common 😅

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Grr_roxy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi,
Anyone kids are in Learning Point for English? Any reviews on this center?

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Grr_roxy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi,

asamy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by asamy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Parents,
I would like to know any good tutor for P6 English and Science near Bedok/Kembangan/Marine parade area.If anyone know plz do share the details.
Thanks in advance.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Grr_roxy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm
Hi,
Learning Point is well-known for English enrichment. It is not for the average students as you are required to sit for a written assessment to be eligible to qualify for the programme. Very experienced matured teachers or ex-MOE teachers in LP for P6 level. If your main focus is to lift up grades to A* or high A for open-ended comprehension grades and composition grade, you can consider LP.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:34 pm

asamy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Hi Parents,
I would like to know any good tutor for P6 English and Science near Bedok/Kembangan/Marine parade area.If anyone know plz do share the details.
Thanks in advance.
You can try Mindworks Tuition or Schtutors. Tried and tested.

Mindworks Tuition: to look for tutors
Schtutors: to look for MOE teachers or ex-teachers