Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
34%
Enrichment Programme
66%

Total votes : 96

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Postby IsaIvamum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi... can someone help me and give me some advise !!

I had 2 children, age 8 & 9... They are weak in English Comprehension and Composition... Not so sure should I send them to Enrichment school or engaged a Private tutor ??

IsaIvamum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Enrichment School or Private tutor ??

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 pm

IsaIvamum wrote:Hi... can someone help me and give me some advise !!

I had 2 children, age 8 & 9... They are weak in English Comprehension and Composition... Not so sure should I send them to Enrichment school or engaged a Private tutor ??

To me, an enrichment course is better because it is more structured and there is a definite start and end point which the kids can look forward to. Also, the kids can take comfort that they are not "suffering" alone :). Tuition tends to be less rigorous and the ROI is difficult to measure. However, it is more personal and a good tutor would be able to focus and work on the kid's weaker areas.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sleepy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Do they enjoy reading? I attended a talk recently & the speaker emphasised a lot on reading

Have you tried assessment books?
I feel that comprehension is matter of practice

Compo not that easy to teach. Unless that tutor has proven track record in teaching compo, better to go for creative writing at enrichment centers

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Tuition or enrichment

Postby Pen88n » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 am

I think whether it should be individual tuition or enrichment class will also depend on your kids. Some kids fare better when given individual attention and they can be more focus and not distracted. Some kids learn better as a group. Also, if choosing an enrichment class, the standard is also important - it should suit your kids or they may feel not challenged or not up to the standard of the class and give up. You really need to do some "trial and error" and if you know your kids and their characteristics, you should be have a better gauge of what is more suitable for them. Hunt round for some courses and see their teaching materials, interview some tutors and ask for materials and then decide from there.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby IsaIvamum » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:34 am

sleepy wrote:Do they enjoy reading? I attended a talk recently & the speaker emphasised a lot on reading

Have you tried assessment books?
I feel that comprehension is matter of practice

Compo not that easy to teach. Unless that tutor has proven track record in teaching compo, better to go for creative writing at enrichment centers

Yes, they love to read.. I bought those comprehension books and went thru' with him (my elder)... He can read .. and when I ask him what the passage talking about .. he can tell me .. However, when comes to question and answer ... somehow he cannot answer... or he could find the answer but do not know how to put in a proper sentence...

IsaIvamum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Tuition or enrichment

Postby IsaIvamum » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:42 am

Pen88n wrote:I think whether it should be individual tuition or enrichment class will also depend on your kids. Some kids fare better when given individual attention and they can be more focus and not distracted. Some kids learn better as a group. Also, if choosing an enrichment class, the standard is also important - it should suit your kids or they may feel not challenged or not up to the standard of the class and give up. You really need to do some "trial and error" and if you know your kids and their characteristics, you should be have a better gauge of what is more suitable for them. Hunt round for some courses and see their teaching materials, interview some tutors and ask for materials and then decide from there.

That is what I bother of... I felt that my elder one needs individual attention .. however, getting a private tutor is not easy and not sure how they teach.. As for Enrichment centre , they have the teaching materials and methods ....

IsaIvamum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am

And remember: that's for only 1 subject.

And that's why I think the govt baby bonus incentives are just not enuf - they only cover the baby part, what about the primary and secondary period whereby outlay is highest with all the tuition, enrichment, after-school care, music, sports, etc. etc. I really do not see much effort put in to help FTWM for this. The ferrying and logistics of arranging the kids classes (if you have more than 1) is really "xiong". I ave a friend who just spends her whole weekend (Sat and Sun) ferrying her 3 kids for different classes at different locations. That's another topic.... :lol:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 am

Pen88n wrote:And that's why I think the govt baby bonus incentives are just not enuf - they only cover the baby part, what about the primary and secondary period whereby outlay is highest with all the tuition, enrichment, after-school care, music, sports, etc. etc. I really do not see much effort put in to help FTWM for this.

:shock:
tuition, enrichment, music, sports etc etc are not viewed as necessities. they are personal choices.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ksmama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am

Hi mummies, yes it is EX! My last payment was about 1800 for my 2 kids for a 14 week term. Each lesson is 1hr 45min. That's why we parents have to work and work to pay and pay!
My kids are from a neighbourhood school at bukit panjang area. Both of them did not go through any entrance exams but school results were needed.
I have sent my kids for some holiday programs at Lorna and Julia Gabriel and 1 term at lorna for my p2 prior to learning lab. My kids' feedback were that those taught at lor and gabriel were too easy. Learning lab- harder but they learn more. My own comments: Lorna good for younger kids ie pre-school and maybe p1, as up to p3 level the reading standard expected is not at my 'kiasu' level. But the teachers there are very nice as well. The writing section do encourage the kids to come up with lots of own creative imagination in their fantasy based compos. My big kid benefited from just one holiday writing program at gabriel and lorna as I could see more creativity in his writing content even when the topics in school is the run of the mill type. However as to which program is more suited to our academic curriculum, I think it's learning lab.
I have heard some people mentioned about British Council being good as well. You can call and find out and ask for sample materials if possible. I must say Learning lab is very secretive where showing of materials and availabilty of classes are concerned so it was by word of mouth that I gave it a try.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ksmama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 am

Hi just to answer Sarah, no my kids did not bring home lots of homework from learning lab where Eng is concerned. Sometimes nothing, if not just 1 'suggested response' to copy or update their secret notebook which is to write down some new vocab which they have picked up in class into their little vocab book.
However I have heard from parents with kids in their Maths program, yes lots of homework. The mummy gets headache from the work cos even last year at p3, some problems were p6 standard :shock: I guess this is Super KIASU.... not for weaker students I think as I know of another mother who pulled the kid out as the kid could not understand what was going on.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment