Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Postby aggellim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 am

hi all parents , :roll:

My Ds1 P4
1 ) individual tuition - Math olympiad - 1 a week 2hrs > $40 per hrs
perpared for DSA . = $ 360 per month
2 ) individual tuition - Sci , Math , Eng - 3 times perweek 5hrs so one Month 20hrs time $ 35 = $ 700 per month + $ 360 = $ 1060

My Ds2 P1
1) individual tuition - Math , Eng - 3 times per week 5hrs so one m Month 20hrs time $ 35 = $ 700
2) individual tuition - Chi 1 a week 2hrs $ 35 per hrs = $ 280 per month
+ $ 700 = $980

( All current / Ex- School teachers )
Coz can learn more advanced techniques or knowledge !!! :lol: :lol:
I 've got 2 children and that comes up to $$$ 2040 per month !!
My God :roll: :lol: :roll:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby aggellim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Sorry... Mistake

hi all parents ,

My Ds1 P4
1 ) individual tuition - Math olympiad - 1 a week 2hrs > $45 per hrs
perpared for DSA . = $ 360 per month
2 ) individual tuition - Sci , Math , Eng - 3 times perweek 5hrs so one Month 20hrs time $ 35 = $ 700 per month + $ 360 = $ 1060

My Ds2 P1
1) individual tuition - Math , Eng - 3 times per week 5hrs so one m Month 20hrs time $ 35 = $ 700
2) individual tuition - Chi 1 a week 2hrs $ 35 per hrs = $ 280 per month
+ $ 700 = $980

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Stay Home Mum has the advantage of being able to be there and coach the kids. Working mum cannot afford time to learn the new syllabus and coach. By the time I get home from work and have dinner with my kids at grandparents' place, it's 8pm. He only had time to go thru' some school work (or revision) and music practice. Then it's time for a little reading and bed.

That's why need to "outsource" the tuition, just kiasu and want to ensure kid can catch up with what is being taught.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Aggellim,

Do you know of any centre offering good lessons for Maths Olympiad or any tutor? I want to consider that for my son. How's your current private tutor? When did you start this Maths Olympiad tuition? So far, what do you think of the progress? Please advise. Thanks.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby IsaIvamum » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Pen88n wrote:And remember: that's for only 1 subject.

And that's why I think the govt baby bonus incentives are just not enuf - they only cover the baby part, what about the primary and secondary period whereby outlay is highest with all the tuition, enrichment, after-school care, music, sports, etc. etc. I really do not see much effort put in to help FTWM for this. The ferrying and logistics of arranging the kids classes (if you have more than 1) is really "xiong". I ave a friend who just spends her whole weekend (Sat and Sun) ferrying her 3 kids for different classes at different locations. That's another topic.... :lol:

Well.. I don't even get the govt baby bonus.. as my younger one born jus a couple of month before they implement of this bonus.. Sighn..... Really 'Xiong' !! :(

IsaIvamum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ebabe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi ksmama,

Can email me some teaching materials from learning lab? I'm looking for creative writting classes in north area.

ebabe
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Enrichment School or Private tutor ??

Postby suuma » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 pm

IsaIvamum wrote:Hi... can someone help me and give me some advise !!

I had 2 children, age 8 & 9... They are weak in English Comprehension and Composition... Not so sure should I send them to Enrichment school or engaged a Private tutor ??

My son will in Pri 3 next year. He is also weak in Comprehension and composition. Which enrichment centre better? Literacycircle or I CAN READ - Total Literacy.
Any advise?

suuma
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby xhxie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Pen88n wrote:Aggellim,

Do you know of any centre offering good lessons for Maths Olympiad or any tutor? I want to consider that for my son. How's your current private tutor? When did you start this Maths Olympiad tuition? So far, what do you think of the progress? Please advise. Thanks.

http://www.mathshub.com.sg/home%20final.html

Check this web site. very good one, my son had tuition there before. Very good tutor and produced a lot of platinum, gold, silver winner in math competition.

xhxie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 pm

xhxie wrote:http://www.mathshub.com.sg/home%20final.html

Check this web site. very good one, my son had tuition there before. Very good tutor and produced a lot of platinum, gold, silver winner in math competition.

How i wished that i knew of this option earlier! then i won't have to waste money on the 'other' math enrichment that my boy has just completed. :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby clover18 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:10 am

Hi Xhxie

Thanks for the recommendation. Is yr son still attending maths hub? I went into the website and it seems they cover more iq-type topics rather than school curriculum. Is that right? Does the kid have to be an above average childto grasp the concepts?

Pls share yr feedback.

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres